NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Was told to post these pins in here so I am.

I recently made a purchase. $3000 for a bunch of PM10 Pinbacks. I have not paid yet because I want to make sure these are authentic first. I purchased a lot of PM10 pinbacks from Seaweed on ebay. I heard there are a few pin experts on here. Would love to get some opinions. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pin1.jpg (58.5 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg Pin2.jpg (75.8 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg Pin3.jpg (70.1 KB, 711 views)
File Type: jpg Pin4.jpg (77.7 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg Pin5.jpg (76.9 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg Pin6.jpg (77.8 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg Pin7.jpg (76.1 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg Pin8.jpg (73.4 KB, 724 views)
File Type: jpg Pin9.jpg (76.6 KB, 717 views)
File Type: jpg Pin10.jpg (77.4 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg Pin11.jpg (75.8 KB, 704 views)
File Type: jpg Pin12.jpg (79.5 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg Pin13.jpg (64.0 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg Pin14.jpg (71.3 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg Pin15.jpg (78.1 KB, 727 views)
File Type: jpg Pin16.jpg (51.8 KB, 720 views)
File Type: jpg Pin17.jpg (72.7 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg Pin18.jpg (73.0 KB, 722 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 04:16 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Heres more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pin19.jpg (79.0 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg Pin20.jpg (79.5 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpg Pin21.jpg (77.5 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg Pin22.jpg (77.6 KB, 704 views)
File Type: jpg Pin23.jpg (77.5 KB, 702 views)
File Type: jpg Pin24.jpg (77.0 KB, 698 views)
File Type: jpg Pin25.jpg (31.1 KB, 704 views)
File Type: jpg Pin26.jpg (77.6 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg Pin27.jpg (76.7 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg Pin28.jpg (77.4 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg Pin29.jpg (15.2 KB, 699 views)
File Type: jpg Pin30.jpg (77.9 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg Pin31.jpg (70.0 KB, 706 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Al

Hello I dont like to comment to much on seaweed as he is high on his prices but I will tell you at least one of the pins is a repro . The Ted Williams that the name band goes all the way past his shoulder is a repro. Also I hope you didnt buy that purple Blitzkreg brooklyn pin as he has been told (I did see it sold) that it has nothing to do with the dodgers. Here is the 2 williams pins the one on the left is real. shorter name band.. Plus the little pennants that he puts on most of his pins never came with them.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 02-28-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Removed photos so our new friend can figure it out on his own!
Old 02-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Hello I dont like to comment to much on seaweed as he is high on his prices but I will tell you at least one of the pins is a repro . The Ted Williams that the name band goes all the way past his shoulder is a repro. Also I hope you didnt buy that purple Blitzkreg brooklyn pin as he has been told (I did see it sold) that it has nothing to do with the dodgers. Here is the 2 williams pins the one on the left is real. shorter name band.. Plus the little pennants that he puts on most of his pins never came with them.

Ugh that is very worrisome as he assured me they are all authentic and he has acquired them from stadiums. I'm not the type to back out but thinking about it as that doesn't make me fee too good.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:

Are the pennants real do you think?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:58 PM

The pennants are real but not very rare. A few are 1936-38 bf3s. Several are 1950 American Nut & Chocolates, and a few are very common 1950s mini-pennants. Nothing very special about any of them. Like Al said, they never came with the pins. IMO the value of the pennants range from 10 to 30 dollars individually.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:04 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Didn't you just purchase that fake 54 Aaron for $1300 also? Seems like you may be going about things the wrong way. Just a suggestion but why not ask for opinions on authenticity and value before making substantial purchases.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Didn't you just purchase that fake 54 Aaron for $1300 also? Seems like you may be going about things the wrong way. Just a suggestion but why not ask for opinions on authenticity and value before making substantial purchases.

Yes just got a refund tonight for that card thank goodness.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
The pennants are real but not very rare. A few are 1936-38 bf3s. Several are 1950 American Nut & Chocolates, and a few are very common 1950s mini-pennants. Nothing very special about any of them. Like Al said, they never came with the pins. IMO the value of the pennants range from 10 to 30 dollars individually.

Thank you Matty! As far as the pins go, what do you think about the value on those? I bought them all to keep the robinsons and resell the rest. At 3000 was that too rich of authentic? Are they authentic?
Old 02-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Al

I can and will tell you that most of the pins that he has are real. Just not all of them. (3) in the postings I see are not. As Matty39 said the little mini pennants are real but 99.9 percent of these never came with the PM10 stadium pins. The only ones I have seen are some of the cubs pins with a small cubs pennant on them. Eric(seaweed) is a member here and I dont want to ruin his deal with you so I willnot tell you which ones are not period. I have collected pins for over 40 years and its very hard to give an education here in 5 minutes. But as was stated maybe you should do a little more research before putting up the money you are saying your spending.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
I can and will tell you that most of the pins that he has are real. Just not all of them. (3) in the postings I see are not. As Matty39 said the little mini pennants are real but 99.9 percent of these never came with the PM10 stadium pins. The only ones I have seen are some of the cubs pins with a small cubs pennant on them. Eric(seaweed) is a member here and I dont want to ruin his deal with you so I willnot tell you which ones are not period. I have collected pins for over 40 years and its very hard to give an education here in 5 minutes. But as was stated maybe you should do a little more research before putting up the money you are saying your spending.

Thank you AL. Are any of the jackies fake? That's why I bought these. Thanks
Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Al

Yes all the Jackies are real! I do hope that helps you a bit....

Old 02-20-2016, 07:23 PM
Rob

I've always assumed seaweed's pins were legit but I've never understood the rationale for adorning them with mini pennants not original to the pins...
Old 02-20-2016, 07:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Agree that 99% of the little pennants never came with the pins. But another example I can think of (which I believe to be as issued) are the little orange Giants pennants that accompany Pins like Hubbell, Bartell, Melton, etc.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Agree that 99% of the little pennants never came with the pins. But another example I can think of (which I believe to be as issued) are the little orange Giants pennants that accompany Pins like Hubbell, Bartell, Melton, etc.
You are correct on those. Those abundance of those particular pins is amazing. Meanwhile, about 5-6 of 1960s era Giants PM-10s are next to impossible.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Yes Mark those to! But like I said to him its hard to give an education here in five minutes! By the way the New room looks great!

Old 02-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I've always assumed seaweed's pins were legit but I've never understood the rationale for adorning them with mini pennants not original to the pins...
Marketing and $$$$ that the Rationale.. same as the vendors putting on the ribbons and trinkets... $$$$ would you buy the white christmas Lexus naked or with the nice big red ribbon on the roof? well you get what I mean!

Old 02-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Marketing and $$$$ that the Rationale.. same as the vendors putting on the ribbons and trinkets... $$$$ would you buy the white christmas Lexus naked or with the nice big red ribbon on the roof? well you get what I mean!
LAST 2. Are these good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PINS1.jpg (77.7 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg PINS2.jpg (75.5 KB, 503 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Al

Yes!

Old 02-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Rob

Seaweed bought that last Mays from me!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Seaweed bought that last Mays from me!

I paid 60 for it lol hope I didn't get killed
Old 02-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Al

Thats Fine for it..

Old 02-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Thats Fine for it..
Do you have an extensive pin collection??
Old 02-20-2016, 08:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Do you have an extensive pin collection??
He sure does.....but good luck trying to pry any away from him!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Al

Quote:
He sure does.....but good luck trying to pry any away from him!
Not true all it takes is a few extra Benjamins! Compared to a few other members here who will remain nameless Im a piece of cake! Just sometimes one must learn to open up his snapper purse once in awhile!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 02-20-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I recently made a purchase. $3000 for a bunch of PM10 Pinbacks. I have not paid yet because I want to make sure these are authentic first. I purchased a lot of PM10 pinbacks from Seaweed on ebay. I heard there are a few pin experts on here. Would love to get some opinions. Thanks
How many pins did you buy for $3,000?
Jerry Sage
Old 02-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsage View Post
How many pins did you buy for $3,000?
Jerry Sage
34 total pins for 3190.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
34 total pins for 3190.

Thanks
If anyone is interested in any i will be offering any of them in trade and sale other than the jackies. Looking for rare Jackie stuff or graded jackie Robinson cards. With trade a bunch for one nice card. Thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
If anyone is interested in any i will be offering any of them in trade and sale other than the jackies. Looking for rare Jackie stuff or graded jackie Robinson cards. With trade a bunch for one nice card. Thanks
Email sent.
Jerry Sage
jssage24@yahoo.com
Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
There are a few JR items in the current Hunt auction:

http://huntauctions.com/phone/current.cfm
Old 02-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
There are a few JR items in the current Hunt auction:

http://huntauctions.com/phone/current.cfm
Thanks im gonna check it out.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

FWIW, when I started collecting pins years ago virtually none of them had the dangly crap on them. A few years ago I started seeing them more and more on eBay. IMO the vast majority of them are Frankenstein creations of vintage pins, charms and mini-pennants. As I am not expert enough in pins to separate the modern monsters from the real deals I simply will not buy any pin with 'pin-nuts'.

ETA: what the other guys said: learn first then make purchases. And I'd start with just a few items that you want to keep, not with thousands of dollars of stuff you hope you can flip. This is a hobby that requires considerable expertise at the dealer levels and novice collectors are setting themselves up for losses if they try to buy high end stuff to flip before learning what they are buying.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-23-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:35 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
IMO the vast majority of them are Frankenstein creations of vintage pins, charms and mini-pennants.
I completely agree. I also think this case isn't something as innocent as bundling items to make the lot look more appealing. I think it is a slimey practice of intentionally making these items appear that they were originally issued together that way. Frankenstein is the perfect word.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Mike Kendall

I would agree that many pins on eBay and other auctions have ribbons or pennants added which were not original. Some are very obvious, some are not. If one looks through Muchinsky's book they will see a large percentage of his pins had some type of attachment. Those of us who are old enough to remember going to ballparks in the 50's and 60's, saw vendors selling pins adorned with attachments. Ribbons, tinkets......anything to make their pins stand out from the vendor next to them selling the same pins. I am sure they were added by each individual vendor, but they were original to the pin at that time.

I particularly like pins with attached ribbons containing printing denoting special events: World Series, All Star Game, etc. I believe this can add to a pins value. The attached photo show two pins which I believe have less value if the ribbon is not present. But that's just me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.2 KB, 359 views)
Old 02-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Mike Kendall

Here is another photo showing vendors in New York selling pins in the 1950s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.8 KB, 358 views)
Old 02-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Hank Thomas

Personally, I love the ribbons and charms of all kinds, but you do have to be careful and know what you're doing, there are a lot of "Frankensteins" out there. Time and experience will provide some sense of what is period and what's not.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
FWIW, when I started collecting pins years ago virtually none of them had the dangly crap on them. A few years ago I started seeing them more and more on eBay. IMO the vast majority of them are Frankenstein creations of vintage pins, charms and mini-pennants. As I am not expert enough in pins to separate the modern monsters from the real deals I simply will not buy any pin with 'pin-nuts'.
I can't agree, Adam. Yes, there are many sellers (one on particular) who are adding things that never came with the pins. Buy many, if not most, PM-10's were originally sold with the (predominantly) red, white and blue ribbons and various trinkets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catalog2.jpg (79.0 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg pm10vendors_1.jpg (53.4 KB, 316 views)
Old 02-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Hank Thomas

As a pin guy, I find this discussion of pins and how they were sold originally quite interesting. Does Muchinsky discuss this aspect? Here are several questions/observations for the experts out there:

1) I would guess that most pins sold at or outside stadiums throughout the years were sold originally with something attached in the way of ribbons, charms, trinkets, etc. I can actually remember seeing pins at Griffith Stadium in the 1950s that had rabbit's feet and knives attached! It's my assumption that most of the pins we see "naked" these days had lost their attachments over the years.
2) I doubt if vendors would have been going to the trouble of attaching things to naked pins, I suspect they would have bought them one way or the other and sold them as is.
3) I love the picture of the Yankees pins. Anybody else have photos of vendor or stadium displays? How about yearbooks, where there would be a page of concession items sometimes? Here's a link to a stand of "1924 Pennant Winners" pins sold outside of Griffith Stadium during the series. I think the baseballs might have been candy containers. http://rmyauctions.com/lot-937.aspx
Here's another picture of this pin as auctioned, but I'm not sure if the ribbon and charm are original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924 pennant winners pin.jpg (5.9 KB, 303 views)
Old 02-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Mike Kendall

I believe the vendors did in fact attach the hangers to the pins after they received them from distributors. Ribbons and cheap tinkets added to the appeal when they hung them on their boards for sale. The better the item added, the more alluring to the buyer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.1 KB, 289 views)
Old 02-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
I believe the vendors did in fact attach the hangers to the pins after they received them from distributors. Ribbons and cheap tinkets added to the appeal when they hung them on their boards for sale. The better the item added, the more alluring to the buyer.
But what is your evidence for this? Obviously, those things do add to the appeal, but why wouldn't the manufacturers and distributors want to take advantage of this, too, and why would vendors want to go to all the trouble of buying pins and add-ons separately and putting them together? Your Senators pin is a tough one, but I would say of the handful of examples I've seen over the years, three of them came the way yours is, which would lead me to conclude that that's the way they came to the vendors, and the ones without the baseball had simply lost it somewhere along the way. My example of that pin has the same "flag" ribbon, but with metal glove and ball charms, which I'm guessing is a Frankenstein put together by a dealer.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Hank Thomas

Incidentally, looking at the 1924 "Pennant Winners" pin and the Senators pin together would certainly seem to provide a good date for the Senators pin, which would be hard to guess otherwise from the graphics alone.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:26 PM
Mike Kendall

I don't have any proof the attachments were added by the sellers. Just my opinion. Muchinsky did state in his book that the attachments were usually added by the vendors to add to their appeal. He also told about a veteran collector who recalled seeing vendors adding ribbons and charms to pins outside Yankee Stadium and Ebbets Field.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Al

a

Last edited by batsballsbases; 02-25-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Wow I love the traction this thread gained!! Love the information! This is amazing and I'm learning so much!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
I don't have any proof the attachments were added by the sellers. Just my opinion. Muchinsky did state in his book that the attachments were usually added by the vendors to add to their appeal. He also told about a veteran collector who recalled seeing vendors adding ribbons and charms to pins outside Yankee Stadium and Ebbets Field.
Likewise, I don't have anything to dispute it, just a feeling of greater likelihood that assembly would have been done at the source to enhance attractiveness and sales. Wonder if there's much in the way of information on manufacturers or distributors out there, does Muchinsky go into that? I need to get his book. I'll also grill Rick Haskins at the national this summer about some of these things, he's seen as many pinbacks as anybody.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Rob

Who is Rick Haskins?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 AM
Mike H.

Why don't you simply REMOVE the add-ons if you don't like them...problem solved
Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Who is Rick Haskins?
Long-time dealer from Texas who always has the biggest assortment of vintage pennants and pins at the National.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Why don't you simply REMOVE the add-ons if you don't like them...problem solved
No!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Likewise, I don't have anything to dispute it, just a feeling of greater likelihood that assembly would have been done at the source to enhance attractiveness and sales. Wonder if there's much in the way of information on manufacturers or distributors out there, does Muchinsky go into that? I need to get his book. I'll also grill Rick Haskins at the national this summer about some of these things, he's seen as many pinbacks as anybody.
While not proof, what I found in an old classified ad on the internet does add credence to my theory that the ribbons and tinkets attached to pins were done by the vendors. The persons name is not in the ad, but the information is very interesting.

Phil Rizzuto Souvenir Pinback Baseball Button 1 3/4 inch.
This is a Vintage souvenir baseball pin / button. When I was a child 5-13 years of age I would spend occasional summer weeks at my Grandfathers & Grandmothers house in the Bronx, New York. Grandpa Joe, AKA “Baseball Joe”, was the owner of a large outside food and souvenir concession (1945-1975) at Yankee Stadium; opposite gate 6. As a result, they kept an inventory of souvenirs, in their garage at their residence. While visiting, as a child, I would often play at, in, and around the rear yard and the garage. Grandma, would allow me to play with the souvenirs and would also allow me to take and keep what I wanted. I was their 1st grandchild, therefore the oldest, and looking back, I was treated special.
As I approached my teen years, I became a weekend and summer employee of “Baseball Joes” Concessions. Among my numerous jobs, (when not selling hotdogs) was opening boxes of these buttons, cutting ribbon from rolls & installing the pin into its back (they snap in). In other words, the buttons you see elsewhere, with trinkets and ribbons hanging from them, were not factory generated. Rather, they were assembled by concessionaires and souvenir vendors. I know, because while the baseball games were being played, I would assemble hundreds of these souvenir items.
What I have for sale here, is the souvenir baseball button, AS IT WAS SHIPPED from the manufacture. The rear pin (basically an attaching device so you can pin it onto your shirt) was never installed by the factory. The (2) components were shipped separately. In the mid 1970’s the City of NY, through imminent domain, bought Grandpa out, razed his buildings, and built a multilevel parking garage. Prior to that happening, which was the end of “Baseball Joes”, Grandma, who I loved dearly, allowed me to take a box of these old buttons and various other souvenirs, for myself. Fast-forward to today, I have had these items for 40+ years, and now I am selling some of them.
So please study the photos carefully and determine if this is the Vintage souvenir baseball button you want. You will receive the Pin in the Photos. I will answer any questions you have and will gather any information needed, will supply additional photos if requested; just ask. Kindly see my other items for sale, as there will be others of my Vintage souvenir baseball buttons listed.

Last edited by MK; 02-24-2016 at 10:36 AM.