NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2017, 10:29 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default An R311 mystery?

This is one of my favorite images in all of the gum issues. The fire power on this team leaves me in awe every time I dig it out.

Tonight I was taking a closer look, and something doesn't seem right. It looks like maybe some of the players's faces got superimposed with their own faces, just from different shots. Some of the ratios and expressions just seem off to me, plus it looks like the exposures on all their faces are a little different from each other.

Also, has anyone noticed that the guy labeled as Greenberg looks a ton like Gehringer and the guy labeled as Gehringer looks nothing like Gehringer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171102_210930.jpg (77.3 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by conor912; 11-02-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Here's a closer look. Top left claims to be Greenberg and bottom right claims to be Gehringer.

Is the bottom right Tommy Bridges?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 - 1 (2).jpg (82.4 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by conor912; 11-02-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Conor, very astute observation.

No way that Greenberg is actually Hank.
The upper row picture sure does look like Gehringer.

I guess I'm not familiar enough with what Tommy Bridges looks like to comment there...But where is Hank?

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:05 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I'm pretty sure I'm right, which would mean that the far left guy here, claiming to be Bridges, is unknown. He is also the 5th in a Detroit uniform when I only see 4 Tigers on the team roster (Gehringer, Bridges, Cochrane and Rowe). Greenberg wasn't even on the team, so him being on there is flat out wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 - 1 (3).jpg (60.1 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by conor912; 11-02-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default All star

Looking up Greenberg's page on baseball reference, he wasn't on the 1935 all star team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...reenha01.shtml

He had amazing stats in both 1934 and 1935 but it doesn't show him as being an Allstar until 1937

More mysterious now?

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Looking up Greenberg's page on baseball reference, he wasn't on the 1935 all star team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...reenha01.shtml

He had amazing stats in both 1934 and 1935 but it doesn't show him as being an Allstar until 1937

More mysterious now?
Yeah, in '36 he hurt his wrist, I think. But in '35 I guess the managers got to pick the rosters and Cochrane picked Gehrig and Foxx to split 1st base. Tough problem to have when Hank Greenberg isn't good enough for your team
Old 11-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Todd Schultz

Apparently there was some controversy to Greenberg not being on the team. From SABR:
https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july...-win-cleveland
"Cochrane picked his former teammate Jimmie Foxx as the third baseman and the Yankees’ Lou Gehrig to play first. This was a curious selection, as Foxx had played very little third base for the last five years. In fact, the most he’d played at the position in a season in the previous five years was 26 games in 1931. In 1935 Foxx had played just two games at third. Even more peculiar, Foxx was the only third baseman on the American League roster, and Gehrig was the only first baseman. [Not true--Bluege was a 3b and played the 9th inning there]

Here was the controversy: Cochrane had left Tigers first baseman Hank Greenberg off the team. Greenberg was leading the league in home runs (25) and RBIs (103) at the All-Star break. (He ended the season leading the major leagues with 36 homers and 170 RBIs.) Gehrig at the break had less than half of Greenberg’s totals, 11 homers and 51 RBIs. Some argued that Greenberg had had a bad World Series in 1934 and would probably not respond well in a big game. The flip side of the argument was that Gehrig had gone hitless in his two All-Star Games, in addition to committing the only errors charged to the American League squad in both contests."

BTW, the mystery Tiger kind of looks like Eldon Auker to me, although it would make more sense if it were Del Baker, who was a coach at the game and who also resembles the man pictured.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-03-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Hank looking not happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Yeah, in '36 he hurt his wrist, I think. But in '35 I guess the managers got to pick the rosters and Cochrane picked Gehrig and Foxx to split 1st base. Tough problem to have when Hank Greenberg isn't good enough for your team

..someone once said a picture is worth a thousand words....we all know that look on an athlete's face....

Old 11-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Del Baker Tom Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Apparently there was some controversy to Greenberg not being on the team. From SABR:
https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july...-win-cleveland
"Cochrane picked his former teammate Jimmie Foxx as the third baseman and the Yankees’ Lou Gehrig to play first. This was a curious selection, as Foxx had played very little third base for the last five years. In fact, the most he’d played at the position in a season in the previous five years was 26 games in 1931. In 1935 Foxx had played just two games at third. Even more peculiar, Foxx was the only third baseman on the American League roster, and Gehrig was the only first baseman. [Not true--Bluege was a 3b and played the 9th inning there]

Here was the controversy: Cochrane had left Tigers first baseman Hank Greenberg off the team. Greenberg was leading the league in home runs (25) and RBIs (103) at the All-Star break. (He ended the season leading the major leagues with 36 homers and 170 RBIs.) Gehrig at the break had less than half of Greenberg’s totals, 11 homers and 51 RBIs. Some argued that Greenberg had had a bad World Series in 1934 and would probably not respond well in a big game. The flip side of the argument was that Gehrig had gone hitless in his two All-Star Games, in addition to committing the only errors charged to the American League squad in both contests."

BTW, the mystery Tiger kind of looks like Eldon Auker to me, although it would make more sense if it were Del Baker, who was a coach at the game and who also resembles the man pictured.

..I've always thought Auker and Cochrane were twins separated at birth...

Old 11-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Tim Newcomb

Quote:
Here's a closer look. Top left claims to be Greenberg and bottom right claims to be Gehringer.

Is the bottom right Tommy Bridges?
I think that is Bridges in the bottom right. Definitely Gehringer top left, next to Ben Chapman (NYY) and Bob Johnson (A's).

So the remaining mystery is, who is the fifth Tiger? Mike is right, could be Del Baker.

Last edited by timn1; 11-03-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:47 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

This REA '35 AS signed ball has Baker on it, as a coach. Auker was still playing in '35, and didn't make the team.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...ehrig-program/

So it has Baker labeled as Bridges, Gehringer labeled as Greenberg, and Bridges labeled as Gehringer. Three mistakes, all with Detroit players. Baker is not mentioned at all, even though he's in the photo, and Greenberg is mentioned, even though he's not even on the team.

Last edited by conor912; 11-03-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Default Awwww

Quote:
This REA '35 AS signed ball has Baker on it, as a coach. Auker was still playing in '35, and didn't make the team.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...ehrig-program/

So it has Baker labeled as Bridges, Gehringer labeled as Greenberg, and Bridges labeled as Gehringer. Three mistakes, all with Detroit players. Baker is not mentioned at all, even though he's in the photo, and Greenberg is mentioned, even though he's not even on the team.

...picky picky picky...

Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

..someone once said a picture is worth a thousand words....we all know that look on an athlete's face....

That is a great photo.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Michael

that picture is fantastic (of Hank with hand in ice bucket I'm referring to.....could it be for sale???? Thanks, Michael.

Last edited by holybull; 11-06-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:31 PM

Default TheWidowGarcia says....

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybull View Post
that picture is fantastic (of Hank with hand in ice bucket I'm referring to.....could it be for sale???? Thanks, Michael.

...Wifey is in love with anything I have of Bobby Doerr and Hank Greenberg.....but in the event she relents and says "oh , okay , since we have grand-daughters who stand in line in January in Philadelphia for 18 hours waiting to buy Taylor Swift tickets , let's buy them for them" , then I might consider letting go.....but be forewarned , you'll be bidding against a guy , goes by "Leon" who is rumored to have in his basement a " bottomless barrel of C-notes".....I think that's how Tim phrased it...

Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Michael

haha...well I'd love a shot at it...let me know please! Thanks, Michael.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
...Wifey is in love with anything I have of Bobby Doerr and Hank Greenberg.....but in the event she relents and says "oh , okay , since we have grand-daughters who stand in line in January in Philadelphia for 18 hours waiting to buy Taylor Swift tickets , let's buy them for them" , then I might consider letting go.....but be forewarned , you'll be bidding against a guy , goes by "Leon" who is rumored to have in his basement a " bottomless barrel of C-notes".....I think that's how Tim phrased it...

"a bottomless barrel of C-notes" LMAO. Those Sawyer Biscuits were a 1/4 of a semester ....

and back to the topic, if I may, I will go with Brian L.'s comments and say nice catch. No way is it Greenberg....and bottom right looks like Bridges to me too.

Last edited by Leon; 11-10-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarification