NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Default Antiques Roadshow on PBS last night

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Anybody catch it?

Simeon Lipman from Lelands appraised some things held dear to our hearts.

Didn't catch the exact story at the beginning of the segment (watching ESPN to determine betting strategy for MNF), but an older fellow evidently gave a wooden box full of "old" cards to a young collector. The lucky lad's mother brought them in to have them appraised (this was the second Cleveland segment of the show BTW). Before I go on, these cards looked pristine, absolutley clean and flawless.

40 N172 Old Judges, An N28 Anson, Comiskey, Ward and Keefe, saw several other non sports tobacco cards laying around as well as other "cheap" N28s and the "common" N172s in little plastic boxes. Anyway, the N28 Anson, Ward, Keefe, Comiskey, N172 Ewing, Duffy I believe, and another N172 HOFer were prominently displayed for the viewing audience. Simeon seemed much more composed then I would have been, but went on to give the woman a brief history of tobacco cards, who issued the sets, etc. When it came time to give the woman a value, I nearly jumped out of my chair, $12,000 - 15,000, geesh ! I wanted to make her an offer right there and then.

I'm sure if Simeon wasn't sure of the values, he'd have the resources to come up with a more realistic appraisal. I know if I was going to be on a segment of the show, I'd want to be as sure about the appraisal I gave to someone as I could be.

Wondering if anyone else saw it and their thinking on the appraisal. Wonder if we can get a hold of that lucky lad? , Keith

Old 09-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

to walk on that show after throwing my entire collection of ungraded vintage cards in to a couple of old shoeboxes and saying, gee, are these worth anything? Just to get the reaction.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I saw the show & your description was accurate. The cards were in my opinion worth $60,000 to $80,000. Old judges all sharp pictures with crisp corners some HOF. A&G all looked great as did the stacks of other non sports issues.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M

Are you sure it wasn't our Eagle friend from Ohio that brought in the box???????

Old 09-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Well, hopefully they auction them off if they aren't valued by the owner. Then we all have a chance to obtain the little treasures.

Old 09-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

Wonder why he gave such a low appraisal? Just the cards you mentioned, in great shape, should be worth that much...

Old 09-27-2003, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Commonly, the high end items on the show are auctioned by organizations represented there. I saw two items (one appraised by Simeon) that were not long after auctioned by Sotheby's. Simeon doesn't work for Sotheby's (nor Leland's at the time), though the second item was appraised by a Sotheby's VP.\

Old 09-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

BOB

that would be so awesome, you have to do that!!i saw that show and was floored also...bring in a plank, wagner and a magie and tell them you found them in the trash!!(already graded of course)LOL

johnny(mrvster)