NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2024, 09:54 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post

“This will benefit The Hobby above all else, which is the primary goal of this innovative partnership between eBay and PSA,” said Collectors CEO Nat Turner. “We will drastically improve the collector experience by creating a seamless, end-to-end journey. No matter an individual collector’s goals, this partnership will make collecting safer, easier and more fun. We’re excited to combine the scale and trust across eBay's global marketplace with PSA's authentication and grading expertise.”

For my next vacation trip I aspire to go on "a seamless, end to end journey".

Last edited by D. Bergin; 04-10-2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM

If EBay can improve the Goldin search engine that would be a welcome first step.

Typing in "w514" gives such great returns as a Bob Gibson RC, an autograph Mantle baseball, and a Renaldo soccer jersey.

Fine tuning the search for "1919 w514" gives such great returns as a Bob Gibson RC, an Eric Clapton autograph, and various comic books.

Getting exact with "1919-1921 w514" gets you nothing...but figuring out the puzzle and entering "1919-21 w514" gets you a w514 card.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:25 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
If EBay can improve the Goldin search engine that would be a welcome first step.

Typing in "w514" gives such great returns as a Bob Gibson RC, an autograph Mantle baseball, and a Renaldo soccer jersey.

Fine tuning the search for "1919 w514" gives such great returns as a Bob Gibson RC, an Eric Clapton autograph, and various comic books.

Getting exact with "1919-1921 w514" gets you nothing...but figuring out the puzzle and entering "1919-21 w514" gets you a w514 card.
I do not buy much on ebay these days but when I do a search in completed or live listings, the results are not much better than your experience with Goldin. Might be why they will now be one.

Having a search return the exact info that we want is clearly not what they want us to have.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
For my next vacation trip I aspire to go on "a seamless, end to end journey".

I just loathe that BS feel good corporate speak. Just an insult.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-10-2024 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I just loathe that BS feel good corporate speak. Just an insult.
But can't you understand that this merger empowers the customer and creates new synergies between selling venue and hobbyist that will result in a win-win scenario?

This gets the hobby all the way to bright. Come on... get with it!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 04-11-2024, 12:17 AM

The below snippet from the Ebay statement confirms what I always believed about the three outfits involved:

The newly established partnership will combine complementary service offerings from each brand to remove friction from The Hobby and power a sophisticated, integrated program to buy, sell, grade, and store trading cards and collectible card games. The companies remain focused on enabling The Hobby while unlocking economic opportunity for all collectors to enhance their experiences along their collecting journey.

Indeed, what 'The Hobby' needs is integrated friction removal by a newly consolidated group of these hobby enablers. Ick. I wish "The Hobby" would revert to being just a hobby and be scrubbed clean of the corporate ooze that has crept in, but I'm afraid that's just wishful thinking on my part.

brianp(arker)-beme
Old 04-11-2024, 01:38 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
The below snippet from the Ebay statement confirms what I always believed about the three outfits involved:

The newly established partnership will combine complementary service offerings from each brand to remove friction from The Hobby and power a sophisticated, integrated program to buy, sell, grade, and store trading cards and collectible card games. The companies remain focused on enabling The Hobby while unlocking economic opportunity for all collectors to enhance their experiences along their collecting journey.

Indeed, what 'The Hobby' needs is integrated friction removal by a newly consolidated group of these hobby enablers. Ick. I wish "The Hobby" would revert to being just a hobby and be scrubbed clean of the corporate ooze that has crept in, but I'm afraid that's just wishful thinking on my part.

brianp(arker)-beme
As I was reading that my only thought was "Who brings the K-Y?"

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-11-2024, 02:17 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

The most interesting component of this deal to me is that PSA is taking the vaults. Obviously, I get eBay buying Goldin (hence I predicted it when seemingly no one else did), but eBay & Goldin wanting out of the vault game is interesting. The primary reason PWCC's vault works so well, other than the fact that they were the first to do it in this hobby, is that it gives them a portal through which sellers can easily list their cards on their marketplace and thus brings in revenue. But if they didn't have a marketplace, it wouldn't be very cost effective. I can't imagine a scenario where a vault that isn't tethered to a marketplace survives long term. Obviously, PSA has some sort of agreement with ebay here which covers the cost of operating the vault, but it sure is interesting to see ebay aborting their vault project so quickly and effectively contracting it out to PSA. But what does PSA get out of it? Surely, PSA can operate it cheaper than ebay could, just by the nature of their businesses, but it's still a fascinating strategic component of the deal.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:24 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

This video is pretty funny in light of the news about ebay buying out Goldin. It's a video where Ken goes on a rant about how bad ebay is for selling cards lol

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMDPijN...Q1ZGUxMzBkMA==
Old 04-11-2024, 05:47 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
This video is pretty funny in light of the news about ebay buying out Goldin. It's a video where Ken goes on a rant about how bad ebay is for selling cards lol

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMDPijN...Q1ZGUxMzBkMA==
In the King of Collectibles: The Goldin Touch | Official Trailer | Netflix, Ken stated he is motivated by three things: Competition, Ego, and Money.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:50 AM

The main/primary reason PWCC’s vault works is state sales tax avoidance. Plain and simple. Take the tax savings out of the equation and I doubt vaults gain traction
Old 04-11-2024, 07:44 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

For a truly seamless end to end experience, they should just buy the Psychic Friends Network and use it to determine what we want to collect and remove the troublesome, fickle hobbyist from The Hobby.

PROFIT!

Last edited by carlsonjok; 04-11-2024 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:52 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Avoidance of sales tax, seems like a win. Another huge sign we've entered a frothy top of the market.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-11-2024, 09:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
The main/primary reason PWCC’s vault works is state sales tax avoidance. Plain and simple. Take the tax savings out of the equation and I doubt vaults gain traction
Avoidance or evasion?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:37 AM
Chase

Quote:
The most interesting component of this deal to me is that PSA is taking the vaults. Obviously, I get eBay buying Goldin (hence I predicted it when seemingly no one else did), but eBay & Goldin wanting out of the vault game is interesting. The primary reason PWCC's vault works so well, other than the fact that they were the first to do it in this hobby, is that it gives them a portal through which sellers can easily list their cards on their marketplace and thus brings in revenue. But if they didn't have a marketplace, it wouldn't be very cost effective. I can't imagine a scenario where a vault that isn't tethered to a marketplace survives long term. Obviously, PSA has some sort of agreement with ebay here which covers the cost of operating the vault, but it sure is interesting to see ebay aborting their vault project so quickly and effectively contracting it out to PSA. But what does PSA get out of it? Surely, PSA can operate it cheaper than ebay could, just by the nature of their businesses, but it's still a fascinating strategic component of the deal.
The vault has appeal to most due to the ability to avoid paying sales tax. Most of us will become sellers at some point but until then I think most collectors prefer to have their cards in their possession and not located in a vault.

And maybe I did not read the wordsmith release closely enough but is PSA getting two vaults out of this? I understood they were simply keeping theirs that they had with Goldin. Did not see that eBay was giving up theirs too.

And maybe I am in the minority here but what is so obvious about why eBay would want Goldin or any brick and mortar house?
Old 04-11-2024, 09:42 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Avoidance or evasion?

The first that I ever heard of this vault tax “avoidance” concept was on the show Billions. The lead character used a vault and eventually an actual apartment to avoid a multi-million dollar use tax bill on some pieces of art. Then I start collecting again, and lo and behold, it’s now big business in the hobby.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The vault has appeal to most due to the ability to avoid paying sales tax. Most of us will become sellers at some point but until then I think most collectors prefer to have their cards in their possession and not located in a vault.

And maybe I did not read the wordsmith release closely enough but is PSA getting two vaults out of this? I understood they were simply keeping theirs that they had with Goldin. Did not see that eBay was giving up theirs too.

And maybe I am in the minority here but what is so obvious about why eBay would want Goldin or any brick and mortar house?
But "investors" don't need to see their cards.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:56 AM
Chase

Quote:
But "investors" don't need to see their cards.
I need to adapt to the new industry where card altering is a very good thing and the term collector is now synonymous with investor.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Avoidance or evasion?
Avoidance. There is nothing illegal (evasion) about buying an asset in a sales/use tax free state and leaving it in that state long enough. If you buy a card, have it sent to Oregon to avoid taxes, and remove it to NY a few days, weeks, months later, that is evasion. Sending it to Oregon, to reside permanently until sold, or for a substantial period (usually a year to be "old and cold"), even if done to save taxes, is avoidance and good business/tax planning.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:18 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I think my favorite take so far in this thread is the, "aha! See! eBay didn't buy Goldin. Really, it's more like a merger."

:facepalm:
Old 04-12-2024, 07:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Avoidance. There is nothing illegal (evasion) about buying an asset in a sales/use tax free state and leaving it in that state long enough. If you buy a card, have it sent to Oregon to avoid taxes, and remove it to NY a few days, weeks, months later, that is evasion. Sending it to Oregon, to reside permanently until sold, or for a substantial period (usually a year to be "old and cold"), even if done to save taxes, is avoidance and good business/tax planning.
I would bet a lot more people are evading than avoiding.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:35 AM
Chase

Quote:
I think my favorite take so far in this thread is the, "aha! See! eBay didn't buy Goldin. Really, it's more like a merger."

And I know my favorite post on this thread will always be "hence I predicted it when seemingly no one else did" from Net54's Miss Cleo.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:45 AM
Dave

Quote:

Moi?

Just commenting on the article. Don't think I ever expressed an opinion one way or another on your "scoop".
Old 04-12-2024, 01:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And I know my favorite post on this thread will always be "hence I predicted it when seemingly no one else did" from Net54's Miss Cleo.
I thought Travis just reported a rumor. Not the same as predicting anything.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:31 PM
Chase

Quote:
Depends which post you are referring to. The one I am referring to and absolutely the best post he has ever made here, was his saying that he knows how eBay operates and where their interests lie, when referring to the rumor.

All I know is that he is an expert in every industry and every field or at least he thinks he is. He knows the law better than certainly any lawyer who posts here. He knew before SA Brosokas knew, that PWCC case would be shelved, he is apparently a prostate cancer specialist, he is an autograph authentication expert with a specialty in Shoeless Joe Jackson autos, he is a world class card grader and card doctor (not his admission but by his not disputing it), he knows more about eBay than the top paid execs and at any time knows the finances and business dealings of PWCC, eBay and Collectors (maybe just the PSA division) and he can profile your personality without knowing you, never having met you and simply seeing images of you on TV.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:32 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Depends which post you are referring to. The one I am referring to and absolutely the best post he has ever made here, was his saying that he knows how eBay operates and where their interests lie, when referring to the rumor.

All I know is that he is an expert in every industry and every field or at least he thinks he is. He knows the law better than certainly any lawyer who posts here. He knew before SA Brosokas knew, that PWCC case would be shelved, he is apparently a prostate cancer specialist, he is an autograph authentication expert with a specialty in Shoeless Joe Jackson autos, he is a world class card grader and card doctor (not his admission but by his not disputing it), he knows more about eBay than the top paid execs and at any time knows the finances and business dealings of PWCC, eBay and Collectors (maybe just the PSA division) and he can profile your personality without knowing you, never having met you and simply seeing images of you on TV.
I sense a tad bit of envy underneath your sarcasm.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:36 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
I sense a tad bit of envy underneath your sarcasm.
Oh shucks! Was it THAT obvious?
Old 04-12-2024, 03:59 PM

Default End game?

Why would I not be surprised that somewhere soon down the road that it becomes a requirement in order to list a sports or non-sports card on eBay that it must be graded by PSA or SGC....

Patrick
Old 04-12-2024, 05:07 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
The rumor was that PSA and Goldin weren't getting along and that Collectors was looking to offload Goldin. The only thing I predicted was that ebay would be the buyer. I don't know of anyone else that was also predicting it would be ebay, though surely I couldn't have been alone on that prediction. But I was certainly laughed at for voicing it at the time.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:07 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Why would I not be surprised that somewhere soon down the road that it becomes a requirement in order to list a sports or non-sports card on eBay that it must be graded by PSA or SGC....

Patrick
With any luck, their narrow definition of "card" will exclude most of what we collect.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 04-12-2024, 05:12 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post

Patrick
Would this not result in a lawsuit that ebay would surely lose? As I've stated many times, I don't know s#!t about the law, but I suspect this wouldn't be a wise decision on their part?
Old 04-12-2024, 05:51 PM
Chase

Quote:
The rumor was that PSA and Goldin weren't getting along and that Collectors was looking to offload Goldin. The only thing I predicted was that ebay would be the buyer. I don't know of anyone else that was also predicting it would be ebay, though surely I couldn't have been alone on that prediction. But I was certainly laughed at for voicing it at the time.
Not sure when you got the vision which permitted you to predict such a far fetched thing but I spoke with someone yesterday, who is a pretty big deal in the hobby (who is not a party to the partnership), and they had known about it for several months. Maybe they knew about it from you!
Old 04-12-2024, 05:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Would this not result in a lawsuit that ebay would surely lose? As I've stated many times, I don't know s#!t about the law, but I suspect this wouldn't be a wise decision on their part?
The legality of "tying" arrangements (very broadly speaking, if you want A, you must also buy B) and similar "restraints of trade" typically depends on how one defines the relevant market and what the defendant's market share is. Here, I would think ebay has a large share however you plausibly define the relevant market -- if I'm looking to self-list a card, where else do I go? I suppose one could argue there are lots of venues to sell if you count consigning as an option, but even taking them all into account I would think ebay's share is quite substantial.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-12-2024 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My blather on the deal:

https://open.substack.com/pub/adamst...meOnShare=true

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-13-2024, 09:15 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I see no mention of dealers at fanfest and can find no information about purchasing space, so I don't think it's a show in the traditional sense and people looking to buy something other than brand new product might be in for a bit of a disappointment.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-13-2024, 09:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't expect to buy there. I am trying to get press credentials and cover the show as a reporter instead. As a collector, I'll head to White Plains instead on Friday for the East Coast National.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-13-2024, 09:43 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Anyone I hear that this will be good for the hobby I see higher prices of something for somebody…

As for tax avoidances/evasion with the vaults, that can all go away if Biden is re-elected and he gets his wish of taxing unrealized capital gains on personal property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.

Last edited by chalupacollects; 04-13-2024 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add on statement
Old 04-13-2024, 10:10 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Surely another factor in providing a vault is to take advantage/possession of abandoned cards. Sort of like abandoned storage units, which we see all the time. Most certainly the percentage of such cards is not 0%.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)