NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Christopher Williams

Yes, I am disappointed that Spence certed that Ruth.

He should know better.

I went back a long way on Net54 and I was reading the praises of David's original "1927 Yankees" baseball. None of you even hinted it was bad. I know it wasn't authentic as soon as I received David's photographs.

All of have every right to criticize, question and call me names (if that makes you feel better).

98% of you don't have a clue about The Babe's autograph. It shows.

Some of you enjoy making fun of my autograph eye. Well, if that makes you feel better, too, then continue on.

As far as losing my credibility here on Net54; well, wow. Now I'm going to lose sleep, too.

I will ask all of you once again, "What did I have to gain by posting my original Babe Ruth thread and this one?"

Tell me.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 04-21-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
I will ask all of you once again, "What did I have to gain by posting my original Babe Ruth thread and this one?"

Tell me.
I'll tell you. Once again.

Attention.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Banned

He overplayed his hand on what he thought his name was worth in the "trust me" dept. and don't ask me any questions because I am better than 98% of you.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Craig

Quote:

He should know better.

I went back a long way on Net54 and I was reading the praises of David's original "1927 Yankees" baseball. None of you even hinted it was bad. I know it wasn't authentic as soon as I received David's photographs.

All of have every right to criticize, question and call me names (if that makes you feel better).

Some of you enjoy making fun of my autograph eye. Well, if that makes you feel better, too, then continue on.

As far as losing my credibility here on Net54; well, wow. Now I'm going to lose sleep, too.

Tell me.
I'm clearly not part of the long debate between Chris and other members of this forum. Nor am I by any means an authority on any autograph. But having followed the original Ruth thread and this one, I believe a much more relevant question would be " What did we gain by your posting of the original Babe Ruth thread and this one?" To date, in my humble opinion, not much.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Should just go back to posting videos about Coach's Corner. At least there the things were obvious to us 98 percenters.

As for the rest of his posts....reminds me of that old song from the 70s........Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Banned

The thing about it is, all we got is attitude from the original poster, and all have asked from day 1 is some proof. that's what it boils down to.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Phil Nap

Chis, less than a year ago you posted this in another thread. Has something since changed?

Quote:
Mike, thank you for the nice comment, but I would never call myself an expert.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

What I find truly amazing is that the so called TPA's haters are now defending them. What made this happen?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
What I find truly amazing is that the so called TPA's haters are now defending them. What made this happen?
no one is defending the tpa's . i said i didnt know if it was good or bad, or if spence screwed up or not, just that if you are going to call out spence, have some proof. chris might end up being right, but not just because his name is christopher williams.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-21-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Shelly,

Nobody is defending the TPAs. What seems to be the general thing here is for Chris to either put up or shut up. It has been over three weeks and still nothing.

Last edited by Big Dave; 04-21-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Thanks, that is an honest reply.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned

here is a couple of emergency stamped tickets from 1934 july12, that went with this lot.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...b#.UXRqAkbfjU4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july12.jpg (52.9 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 04-21-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Travis, two of the rain checks have a printed date the other two have stamped dates. My question was. Are the generic tickets from that year only or could they have been from other years as well. I dont care what the stamp says.

Last edited by shelly; 04-21-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
here is a couple of emergency stamped tickets from 1934 july12, that went with this lot.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...b#.UXRqAkbfjU4

Thanks Travis. Looks like the ones shown that are stamp dated were the day right before Ruth's 700th HR.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNap View Post
Chis, less than a year ago you posted this in another thread. Has something since changed?
No, Phil, nothing has changed. I have never claimed to be an expert. I have claimed to be very knowledeable about autographs.

Who on this board would you consider an expert?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
No, Phil, nothing has changed. I have never claimed to be an expert. I have claimed to be very knowledeable about autographs.
What's the distinction?

Quote:
Who on this board would you consider an expert?
Other than the couple of guys on here who are long time dealers I don't profess to know the credentials of the rest.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNap View Post
What's the distinction?

Other than the couple of guys on here who are long time dealers I don't profess to know the credentials of the rest.
Who are you referring to?

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 04-21-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scott Garner
James and all,
Interesting...

FWIW, I would not trust this to be a real Ruth 700th HR ticket.

I personally have not seen vintage Tigers tickets that have been stamped with a date. In fact, as a baseball ticket collector of over 40 years, I will tell you that I do not recall EVER seeing a Tigers stamped date ticket prior to 1969. I have, however, seen lots of emergency tickets like the one featured in this auction with designations like Game X, Game K, etc.

I do recall seeing a genuine printed date ticket to Ruth's 700th HR. At least one exists in the hobby. As I recall it has an uneven tear at the perforation, almost appearing to have a "fang" shaped tear....

(chris williams response)
+1 and more......

shelly, i post that photo (that huggins and scott posted in the last thread) because someone said they doubt these stamped tickets exist, and chris +1 them, agreed with them.

well here are two stamped emergency tickets from the day before, july 12, 1934. now unless people think those are fake, then there is precedent for stamped emergency tickets from july, 1934 out there. why did chris do a +1?

because the year is cut off, it isnt possible to confirm it is from 1934, but not possible to confirm it isn't either. but it can put to rest the theory that the 700 hr ticket must be a fake because no one has seen stamping like that before. it could be real. but game used balls same way, no one can prove that they were used in the game for sure, but if they fit the pattern and form of game used balls from that game, you have to have a leap of faith somewhat. The stamped huggins and scott ticket does follow form for what it shows people. you have to then go on to the autograph.

for the auction house to say it is from 1934 is them saying it's from 1934. it probably is, the consignor says it is, not 100% definitely yet as far as i can tell. but we have seen auction houses say this is babe ruth's first home run bat, and another one says they have the first homerun bat. the ticket cant disprove the autograph or backstory, but the autograph can disprove everything.

it comes down to the autograph.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-21-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
To whom are you referring?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-21-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
I've asked you two questions (one in this thread and one on the other) which you haven't answered yet. Give me the courtesy of answers and ill be happy to do the same.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:

He should know better.

Tell me.
I don't know why Chris, but your intent is not enough. I think you do have a great eye, but everyone is wrong sometimes, no? You haven't givn us any reason to think that now isn't one of those times for you.

I have never had any reason to have anything but respect for you and your posts on these boards, and that really hasn't changed. I'm not calling you names, and will read what you post with the same interest that i always have. But I can tell you this: if you are hit by a car and killed tomorrow (and I sincerely hope that doesn't happen and that you live as long as you hope to), than this Ruth will be accepted by 100 percent of us, as we don't have your eye. And then it will be real. See what I mean?

So if you have something else to share, please do, but otherwise this ticket is likely to sell for even more than it did this time when it comes up for auction again.

I can't say it much nicer than this.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
So if you have something else to share, please do, but otherwise this ticket is likely to sell for even more than it did this time when it comes up for auction again.
No reason why it shouldn't, Wayne.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
No reason why it shouldn't, Wayne.
Indeed. I wish I owned it.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Let me ask any one on this board a simple question. If the stamp was not on the ticket. How would you know its from 1934? This a generic ticket. Did the Tigers use this ticket in any year but 1934? If was made just for the 34 season then it is all about the autograph. If not, it does open a can of worms.
I am not trying to do anyting but find out the true facts about this ticket not the autograph.

Last edited by shelly; 04-21-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Anyone have another Tigers ticket from 1933 or 1935 to compare? Matt showed another from 1934 which had the same base price and tax. I can't quite make out the details on the 1930's ticket lot that has been posted, which included years other than 1934, but even with all the squinting I've done looking at the low-res image that Worthpoint retains, it looks to me like only 1934 tickets were pictured in that one shot.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Promise this is the last question. Could that ticket without a stamp on it be from another year other than 1934, Scott yes or no. Any one else yes or no. If no that is it. No or yes nothing more.
I am now beeing mean and nasty. I am also very tired. At my age the only thing you have to remember is the seat up or down. You guys have no idea how many times I called for help
Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Anyone have another Tigers ticket from 1933 or 1935 to compare? Matt showed another from 1934 which had the same base price and tax. I can't quite make out the details on the 1930's ticket lot that has been posted, which included years other than 1934, but even with all the squinting I've done looking at the low-res image that Worthpoint retains, it looks to me like only 1934 tickets were pictured in that one shot.

Well, if the date stamp is authentic, they were on the road in 1932, 1933, 1935 and 1936 on that date.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Found a few others. These are (in order) from 1932, 1933 (lower right ticket in the group), 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943. To based on the price, 1937 is out. 1932 looks to be a different style of ticket (horizontal orientation rather than vertical), though the one I show is not an "emergency ticket," so would it be possible for those to have a different layout? I'm not sure, but even so, that leaves a possibility of 1933-36, 1938-41, and 1943 based just on the price. (I couldn't find an example for 1942). And to my eye, the "style" of ticket is very similar from 1933-43, so I could easily see them using the same "emergency tickets" for multiple years (ruling out 1937 and 1942 due to price differences). Did they actually do this? I have no idea. I'm just trying to help cover all the bases in what way I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1943.jpg (28.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1942.jpg (22.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1938.jpg (17.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1939.jpg (22.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1940.jpg (25.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1941.jpg (23.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stub Lot with 1933.jpg (38.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1935.jpg (20.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1936.jpg (22.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1937.jpg (25.7 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Tigers Stubs 1932.jpg (35.9 KB, 202 views)