NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Not an estate/garage sale find, but I purchased this baseball on eBay. The auction had no photo and a BIN of $80. The description mentioned a 1930s baseball signed by GL Alexander. Guess who it turned out to be?

Not a bad deal. In total it cost me $230.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Bill Hedin

Default Mom and Sister scored today!

I was delighted to see this thread because my Mom and Sister just called me and are bringing me 2 shoe boxes full of early 1970's BB, FB and Basktball cards that they purchased at a Yard Sale after Church today.
Mom and Jane have been around cards basically for 40 years and both worked for me at my shows and shops so they know their cards! They say i'll be very, very happy with these! The price was $50 for everything. Everything is over 2000 cards and some misc. memorabilia.
I'll post some of the contents later!
It's awesome having my women ( Mom, Sister, Wife, Kids) hunting cards for me! They usually do well!

Regards,

Bill Hedin
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Sounds good! Congrats
Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 PM

I used to go to the Sussex County N.J. flea market as a young teenager. In 1981, while scouring the various booths for possible 'Graig Nettles' Fleer error cards that someone unsuspecting soul might have for sale, this guy asked me if I was interested in baseball cards. Well, as luck would have it I was. He then proceeded to show me stacks of 1952 to perhaps 1970 Topps cards. He offered me the fabled 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle for $300 (at the time it may well have been 3 Million because there was no way my father was going to spend $300 on a baseball card). My collecting buddy and I did pick up a bunch of 1960s 'star' cards for maybe $20 total. When I resumed my interest in collecting a few years ago, a 1964 Yaz and 1965 Yaz I purchased from this guy came back PSA 8. Wish I had the 1952 Topps, though.

Charles
Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM
David Herrell

My best sports pickup was from an auction. The daughter of the former owner/president of the Detroit Red Wings auctioned off some of her mother's trophies including a super-cool game puck that had the name of the entire team inscribed in a silver band around the edge. I bought all three trophies and sold them through Classic Auctions in Canada in their last auction.

Other stuff I've picked up included a booklet of 1930's Boy Scout badges that were some type ("Wide Crimped") that were only made for a short time and sold those on eBay for $3k. Recently I picked up a White House index card signed by Teddy Roosevelt for $25 (sold for $750 on eBay). I also got a surveyor's GPS system for $50 that sold for $1300 on eBay.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Bruce Esser

Dan, great pickup on your Capital Beach picture. I was always under the impression that the baseball diamond was kindof makeshift as I have newspaper articles which state that chairs were moved from Antelope park to Capital Beach for Sunday games. Sunday games were still banned in Lincoln so they moved the chairs to the beach for Sunday games.

The spelling is also interesting. I have a couple of early postcards which call it Capitol Beach, but this is clearly using Capital instead of Capitol.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 PM

Many years ago, I ran an ad in a small neighborhood paper. An older gentleman called and said he had a wooden cheese box, nailed shut, that he thought contained baseball cards. I dropped everything and met him. He opened the box, literally clawing out the nails with a hammer, to reveal about 150 cards stacked side by side so you couldn't readily identify them. But one card was flat across the top. It was a '33 Goudey Ruth - in fair condition. The rest were 1940 Play Balls, all in excellent shape. Cost me $120. Was lucky enough to find another '33 Goudey Ruth at a sidewalk sale back in the 80's. It was fair, with some glue residue on the back, but who cares? It was still a Babe Ruth card. Set me back a whopping $5.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonbb View Post
Dan, great pickup on your Capital Beach picture. I was always under the impression that the baseball diamond was kindof makeshift as I have newspaper articles which state that chairs were moved from Antelope park to Capital Beach for Sunday games. Sunday games were still banned in Lincoln so they moved the chairs to the beach for Sunday games.

The spelling is also interesting. I have a couple of early postcards which call it Capitol Beach, but this is clearly using Capital instead of Capitol.
Bruce, I'm not convinced that picture is at Capitol Beach..I think it may be Antelope Park, but they just used it on their advertising because the team would play Sunday ball out there.