NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Default Have Collins McCarthy or Boston Store cards been reprinted?

Hello all,

I searched through the archives to look for an answer to this question but did not find any info.

So my questions are as follows;

1) Have the Collins - McCarthy and Boston Store cards been reprinted?

2) Other than saying "REPRINT" on them, how can you tell originals from fakes (if there are any fakes?)

I have never owned or even seen any of these cards in person (yes, I have lived a sheltered card collecting life) so I do not know what real ones look like or, even better, what they feel like.

Thanks in advance for your help,

David

Last edited by ctownboy; 11-06-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
James Gallo

As far as I know there are no reprints of these cards that were made. You could have someone making something off a computer, but as for "official" reprints I don't think there are any.

If you have specific questions LMK I am working on the Boston Store set so I have lots of cards.

James G
Old 11-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Default Kendig, Opie Dildock

Not often seen.......
There are some freak reprints... They are E135 on front but the card number was removed. Some if not all have backs that are not found on authentic cards ie Opie Dildock, Kendig's Chocolates. The backs are washed out looking and the card stock is thinner (plus the obvious missing card number with the same font as a E135).

I owned 2 about 8 years ago and they fooled me at first.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Earlier this year, I bought a Collins McCarthy Duffy Lewis which didn't look or feel right. Since I happened to have another on hand, it was easy to see the difference. One was "washed out," looking a little like a photo of a photo. And the card stock was not quite as thick as that of the real McCoys. I don't remember whether the number was on there or not, but I sent it back.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the answers so far.

Another couple of questions.

1) I have read the cards are on thinner stock. I own some T205's and T206's. I also own some Star Player Candy cards (very thin stock) and some Fatima team cards (thin but not as thin as the SPC cards). Using those as a guide, how thick of stock are the Collins - McCarthy and Boston Store cards printed on?

2) Do these cards have a glossy surface (which I think I read somewhere) or not? I own a couple of Coupon cigarette cards and I can feel the difference in texture between them and a T206 card. Which will the Collins - McCarthy and Boston Store cards feel more like?

Thanks again,

David

Last edited by ctownboy; 11-06-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Todd Schultz

Default yes

Collins-McCarthy absolutely have been reprinted. I own a set, and have it stashed somewhere.

The images are whiter, not creamy, and are duller or muddier as well. The stock is thinner. The set I have is not going to fool the experienced collector for 10 seconds.