NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Danny Smith

Default Cool Article About Walter Johnson Pitching vs a Negro League Team

Just saw this retweeted by Keith Olbermann on Twitter. Cool research piecing together a story of the Big Train pitching in Harlem.

http://agatetype.typepad.com/agate_t...o-leaguer.html

Enjoy.

Danny
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Interesting, but a lot of odd inconsistencies in the stories. If Johnson said that "Home Run" Johnson played for the Lincoln Giants and hit a home run off of him, that I believe he did. But I'm not as confident that Shirley Povich got his story straight.

Also, I didn't see any mention of Wayne Stivers or SABR, and if anyone could verify the box score it would be Wayne or SABR.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Wayne is a great guy. I met him when I lived in CO for a couple years. He is definitely a go to guy when it comes to Negro League items and history.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Wayne is a great guy. I met him when I lived in CO for a couple years. He is definitely a go to guy when it comes to Negro League items and history.

AndyH

He helped me immensely with my research, and I was lucky enough to be able to supply him with quite a few box scores he didn't have.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Chris Counts

Thanks for posting Danny. That's some great stuff. My favorite part is when Walter is pitching as a ringer for a New York fire department team called the Fire Eaters and he loses to an obscure Negro League pitcher named "Gunboat" Thompson, 2-0. "Gunboat" actually has a page at baseballreference.com, but very little is unknown about him. If ever somebody deserved his 15 minutes of fame ...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Peter F

Default thanks for posting

I dont live too far from Harlem and I think come Spring I'll go check out what's standing where those old ballparks those used to be.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Hank Thomas

Among the seven games I came across in the research for my biography of Walter Johnson in which he pitched against black teams are the two mentioned against the Lincoln Giants in 1911 and the Lincoln Stars in 1914. He also pitched against the Mohawk Giants in 1913, and in those three games he did pitch against three of the best black pitchers of the era: Gunboat Thompson, Dick McClelland, and Frank Wickware. And that was indeed Honus Wagner at shortstop for the "All-Leaguers" vs the Lincoln Giants who had Pop Lloyd playing there for them. Wagner and Lloyd in the same game, it actually happened! I am of the firm belief, however, that Johnson and Smokey Joe Williams never pitched against each other, and that the story of their supposed matchup is a conflation of Johnson's 1-0 loss to Wickware and the Mohawk Giants on October 5, 1913, and Williams's 1-0 victory over Grover Cleveland Alexander the same day.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 12-06-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
pete ullman

Geat read...in the boxscore from the likeliest scenario...wajo provided most of the offense that game too...WOW!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

That's all great, but I wouldn't have thought Johnson's memory would have been so bad that he would have imagined someone named 'Home Run Johnson' hitting a home run against him, and that being the only run. Seems unlikely.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 PM

Memory's a much, much trickier and far more malleable thing than most folks suppose. It wouldn't surprise us in the least
if Johnson confused or conflated the events of one or more exhibition games -- all apparently with similarly low-scoring results
-- that occurred close to thirty years earlier.
The blogger himself confuses or misinterprets the statements in one of the articles he presents. "'...About ten years ago'
in the Bronx... Williams won, 1 to 0'" says the blogger, misquoting the article which reads "...about ten years ago,
Johnson beat 'Smoky Joe' Williams by a score of 1-0."
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 12-06-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Memory's a much, much trickier and far more malleable thing than most folks suppose. It wouldn't surprise us in the least
if Johnson confused or conflated the events of one or more exhibition games -- all apparently with similarly low-scoring results
-- that occurred close to thirty years earlier.
The blogger himself confuses or misinterprets the statements in one of the articles he presents. "'...About ten years ago'
in the Bronx... Williams won, 1 to 0'" says the blogger, misquoting the article which reads "...about ten years ago,
Johnson beat 'Smoky Joe' Williams by a score of 1-0."
Butch, memory lapses are one thing. What Shirly Povich attributed to Johnson, based on what Hank and others have found, would indicate senility. And Johnson wasn't senile. There's something fishy with the story, and we all know how journalists can be when they are 'creating' a story.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 PM

Count us senile, too, then, for frequently conflating and misremembering details of signature events in our own lives that occurred
a lot more recently than thirty years ago. And our families and friends, too, for similarly having widely disparate accounts of those same events.
But you are quite correct about the disturbing lack of consensus on the Johnson exhibition games, and certainly the embellishments and
distortions of various sports writers in an effort to tell a "better" story must play a part in that...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Butch, memory lapses are one thing. What Shirly Povich attributed to Johnson, based on what Hank and others have found, would indicate senility. And Johnson wasn't senile. There's something fishy with the story, and we all know how journalists can be when they are 'creating' a story.
I would bet that Povich had much more journalistic integrity than most any of the the semi-literate morons who write about sports today.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
I would bet that Povich had much more journalistic integrity than most any of the the semi-literate morons who write about sports today.
+1. This story is great and a fun read. I wish there was more good talk like this in the forum
Old 12-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Count us senile, too, then, for frequently conflating and misremembering details of signature events in our own lives that occurred
a lot more recently than thirty years ago. And our families and friends, too, for similarly having widely disparate accounts of those same events.
But you are quite correct about the disturbing lack of consensus on the Johnson exhibition games, and certainly the embellishments and
distortions of various sports writers in an effort to tell a "better" story must play a part in that...
I hear you - I have as bad of a memory as anyone, but for a lot of reasons, the Povich account just doesn't ring true for me.

In addition, Johnson was NOT known for throwing at batters - quite the contrary. I can't see him gloating about brushing back a batter and then finally plunking him.

And yeah, I probably appreciate the old sportswriters (including Povich) over the new ones, as much as anyone. Just saying - they are/were embellishers, salesmen, etc., and it sounds like this particular story was a color piece more than a presentation of facts.