NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
My buddy the lifelong Cardinal fan had a similar experience with Bob Gibson and to this day he hates him, bad day or not.
Interesting. The first in person autographs I got were in 1966 at the Commodore Hotel. Bob Gibson and Curt Flood.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:03 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Is he still signing any more?
During the current World Series, Hank was present for the annual Hank Aaron award. In my eyes he was leaning on the podium quite hard for support. He is 85 years of age. I would never say never, but I would think his days of public signings are likely done. Then again, I thought after his stroke Ted Williams was done but John Henry Jr. wheeled Ted out there for the CSA Senators reunion back in 1998. I think Hank will continue to do private signings as he pleases and it will not be cheap.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:27 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Thankful

I was just thinking of this thread and how happy I am that i got my piece signed. I can’t believe it’s coming up in 2 years ago.

Anyone have any great Hank Aaron signing stories and pics to share?

Ben

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-23-2021, 06:52 PM
Michael

Even tho I was a big Braves fan in the 1960s I will always have mixed feelings about Mr Aaron. I went to the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC to get Braves autographs when they were there to play the Mets in 1967. Waiting outside the hotel when my idol Hank came out. I asked him to sign my autograph book. His reply was "Go play in the traffic son". Him and mantle were my never forgotten stories of my childhood.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:25 AM
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Even tho I was a big Braves fan in the 1960s I will always have mixed feelings about Mr Aaron. I went to the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC to get Braves autographs when they were there to play the Mets in 1967. Waiting outside the hotel when my idol Hank came out. I asked him to sign my autograph book. His reply was "Go play in the traffic son". Him and mantle were my never forgotten stories of my childhood.
what happened to you with Mantle?
Old 01-24-2021, 02:42 PM
Michael

1966 outside the St Moritz in Manhattan where Mantle stayed during the season. I had a full page picture from Sport Magazine of Mickey and Casey already signed by Casey. Mickey comes out and I am super nervous and courteous and he is standing out front. I go up and say Mr mantle can you plase sign this picture which I show him. He spits his tobacco in my face and walks off. I cry all the way home. That being said Mantle and Aaron were my ownly horror stories of my 1966-1968 in person autogrph ventures at the NYC hotels
Old 01-24-2021, 03:23 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
1966 outside the St Moritz in Manhattan where Mantle stayed during the season. I had a full page picture from Sport Magazine of Mickey and Casey already signed by Casey. Mickey comes out and I am super nervous and courteous and he is standing out front. I go up and say Mr mantle can you plase sign this picture which I show him. He spits his tobacco in my face and walks off. I cry all the way home. That being said Mantle and Aaron were my ownly horror stories of my 1966-1968 in person autogrph ventures at the NYC hotels
Wow, that is awful, truly. What a jerk move by Mantle.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:27 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Wow, that is awful, truly. What a jerk move by Mantle.
I think that's part of the reason why once the show circuit started, Mantle was so willing to sign. I know he expressed a lot of regrets towards the end of his life, especially after the cancer diagnoses.

Still that's no excuse for what he did, to a kid no less. It'd make me never like him, if I had that personal experience.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:24 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
That's awful.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think that's part of the reason why once the show circuit started, Mantle was so willing to sign. I know he expressed a lot of regrets towards the end of his life, especially after the cancer diagnoses.

Still that's no excuse for what he did, to a kid no less. It'd make me never like him, if I had that personal experience.
Don't ya think that getting paid lots of money had something to do with it as well?

I'm pretty sure there were also some ground rules, which included not spitting tobacco juice in kids' faces.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-25-2021 at 03:35 PM.