NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Default What has happened to all the paintings for those wonderful cards?

Posted By: Max Weder

Has any of the original art survived for any of the tobacco cards? I don't recall seeing any in any of the recent major auctions (say in the last ten years), so I thought I'd see if anyone on this list has seen any such works. If this topic has been covered in any reference work, please let me know the cite. I do recall seeing a number of post-WWII paintings of cards being offerred.

I've seen a few paintings that were used as covers or illustrations in older baseball books, but even those are incredibly difficult to locate.

Thanks,

Max

Old 06-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

As far as Pre-War paintings for baseball cards go, I beleive there are only the 1930s Diamond Stars. There is the original artwork for the M101 Sporting News Ned Hanlon, which somewhat resembles a painting .... There are a few of the original photos for some cards.

Most baseball (and football) card paintings come from Post WWII, including many for the vintage Bowman and Topps cards. Some very recent cards were based on commisioned paintings, and you can get these. Topps hired a variety of painters, each to paint one or more players, and Topps has sold many of the paintings directly to the public. If you are a modern collector, or even if not, some of these recent paintings can be sharp.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Thanks for the reply. How were the T205s, T206s, T212s et al then created? What it some sort of drawing, photo lithography or hand tinting photos? I guess I just had always assumed they were paintings rendered to look like photographs, particularly with a set like the T205s.

Max

Old 06-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

Max-

Back in the days when David used to post frequently (er... more frequently), there was a thread that covered this subject:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1042603334&lp=1042751210

Bill

Old 06-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Administrator

It really ranges. Old 20th century art for cards, magazines and ads ranges can be oil, acrylic, watercolor or other paintings, sketches (ink, charoal, etc), photos, etc. There is a lot of mixed media-- meaning mixing and matching of painting, print, photo, sketches. You will often find sketches or paintings with 'paste-ups', paste-ups being cut out photos or pictures pasted to the background. Even if the original art is a photo, it is often hand embelished (adding details, background, etc). Many 1950s-60s cards and colorful advertisements were made from flexichromes-- which are small handcolored photos-- known for their super bright colors. The 1957 Topps football cards were made from flexichromes, and you can flexichromes on the market with some ease.

In general, you can look at a card or ad and make a reasonable guess as to what was the original. Some old magazine add will be an obvious reproduction of a charcoal sketch or a painting. An Exhibit Card is obviously a reproduction of a photograh. As noted, there is a lot of mixed-media, so you often can tell for sure until you see the art in person.

There are a wide range of factors relating to financial value. This includes significance (original art for Johnny Unitas's rookie card), artst (preferable signed0, size and what medium. A large detailed painting will be worth that a small quick sketch, for example. In general, collectors of the original art are looking for displayability-- collecting them as pieces of art.

For some original art, especially for magazines, the magazine or publisher's name and often the date is stamped on the back.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Administrator

I add that for a collector, he should purchase what appeals to his artistic taste. If a painting or sketch or mixed-media is something that you want to hang on your wall and look at, that's the one. You don't need to listen to anyone else to know what you like.

Old 06-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I once saw the original art for the Gone With The Wind movie lobby cards and posters. Many years ago I dealt in Hollywood memorabilia. I was approached at a show by a somewhat eccentric man who said he had inherited a collection of memorabilia from a MGM executive and wanted to know if I wanted to buy some Academy Awards (my specialty) materials. I did, so I made arrangements to visit him.

I visited him in the house in West Hollywood (just next to Beverly Hills) he inherited. It was the home of the former production head of MGM, Isadore "Dory" Schary, who, it turns out, was an inveterate pack rat (I know it was his house because I ended up buying several of his old Academy membership cards among the other stuff I purchased). He had thousands and thousands of incredible MGM-related artifacts throughout the house that this lucky bastard was only beginning to catalogue. Literally millions of dollars worth of stuff, from which he was privately selling the mass-produced stuff, like publications. The house was a museum. Each corner you rounded ran you smack into something else incredible: A life-sized signed portrait of Joan Crawford, a gigantic signed B&W photo of Fred Astaire dancing, costumes, etc. The attic was filled with dozens of boxes of candid personal photos from the studio, including glass negatives going all the way back in MGM history. About the only thing not there were the Ruby Slippers from The Wizard Of Oz.

The highlight of the visit was when the guy led me into yet another room crammed with memorabilia and pulled from the closet an artists' portfolio case, about 2 x 3 across. He unzipped it and pulled out sheet after sheet of stunning handpainted images that were the actual images used to create the GWTW lobby cards. They looked like 11x 14 color portraits that had been enhanced with paints. They were stunning.

If you've ever been fortunate enough to have a non-collector turn up at your show table and lay down a stellar collection, imagine that feeling raised about 1000x. GWTW memorabilia is very popular and very expensive. The posters created with these items sold for thousands. These images literally were museum-quality pieces that I would guess would have sold for tens of thousands each. The house, which was a really nice one just outside Beverly Hills, was worth far less than the stuff inside.

Obviously, I could not even offer on the collection, which is just as well since the guy was working with a film historian to document it all before trying to sell it. I have looked since then for news of the collection being sold, but have seen nothing.

The funny thing of it was that I bought a bunch of publications for a relative song and went home to go through them. Out of one fell two unused tickets for the Oscars in 1972.

Old 06-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Did you offer him $500 for the whole collection "sight unseen"?

Old 06-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

since I'd seen it...