NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Alex P.

Default 1952 Wheaties Need Help Verifying Authenticity

I need help with these 1952 Wheaties. From what I have read they look ok but I want to make sure before I list them. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (74.0 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (74.0 KB, 212 views)
Old 05-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Steve

Can't imagine there are fakes of this set floating around. Even the major-sport stars generally bring twenty to forty bucks VG to EX. Snead, Pollard? Why would some intrepid counterfeiter bother with those? I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Last edited by Volod; 05-11-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Alex P.

http://sportscardinfo.wordpress.com/...heaties-cards/

Thanks, I was reading the above link. I came across them in a recent lot I bought and I just don't know a great deal about them. I always try to find out before I list anything that I am not familiar with.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Steve

Thanks for the link. I guess I stand corrected. Had not heard of any counterfeiting involving this set, but looks like nothing is beyond those guys.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 PM
FredYoung

That is the 1st time I've ever heard of fake '52's also. They sure don't offer anything concrete about them to convince me!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Steve

I just looked through my incomplete set and the Musial portrait fits the warning-flag criteria provided by that site - it has snow-white borders and doesn't smell like old cardboard. Hmmm, now I'm wondering - paid around twenty bucks for it some time ago. If that card is a fake, it was very artfully executed, as it appears in all other aspects to be genuine.

Last edited by Volod; 05-13-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Steve

Question Stultifying

Ok, scanned the Musial, along with a definitely genuine Williams for comparison. The scan doesn't really reflect the difference. The Musial has brilliant white borders, while Ted shows the typical off-white, slightly grayish tone of 60-year-old cardboard. Scanned the backs, but the images reveal no contrast. To the naked eye, the Musial back is about the same gray tone as the Ted. Thickness is indistinguishable. My smeller isn't what it used to be, but the Ted seems to have that funky ancient paper aroma that we all know, while the Musial is almost sterile - maybe somewhat new smelling. Like I said, however, if this Musial is a counterfeit, it sure fooled me. The real concern for me now is that it just looks like it was cut out of a Wheaties box yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Wheaties Musial vs Williams.jpg (78.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Alex P.

Hmmm... I am taking mine off auction until this gets figured out. Steve, look to the right of Stan's cap. The white area in between the background and the cap. Is that suppose to be there?

Last edited by Chesapeake; 05-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

The white area is just the edge of the orange showing since it's a bit off register to the right.

Pretty interesting topic.

I think the more white backgrounds are probably from boxes with a white layer printed before the orange and blue. Or printed on a white rather than cream surfaced stock.

Here's a complete box from Legendary that looks very light.
http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDeta...and-Campanella

Maybe a late year change? I found pics of a couple 53 boxes that had the license plates and both of those looked white.

The white would add a bit of cost, but would also make the boxes look better on the shelf- brighter, cleaner, more modern.

I also comared it to my Musial, and while most fakes or reprints have a lack of detail and crispness, yours is printed a bit better than mine, with a bit more detail.

Steve B
Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Steve

Steve B: Thanks for your observations. I'm beginning to wonder about the website that Alex provided a link to. That is, I can't find an actual article that details a case of 1952 Wheaties counterfeiting. A poster on the website, Ross Chrissman, whoever that is, merely states that "there was a case a few years ago." And then someone commenting on his claim states that pure white borders and lack of old paper smell is a sure-fire tip-off. This is hardly conclusive evidence of anything in my opinion. As you noted, my Musial has dpi definition that seems to gainsay any likelihood of counterfeiting on a set as generally low-priced as this one. And I think you're right that the difference in toning probably dates back to 1952. You can see the same difference in cardboard stock quality in the Topps 1951 cards: pure white stock vs cream stock.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Alex P.

Steve, Here is one from my batch scanned by itself.

Photobucket

Last edited by Chesapeake; 05-14-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM

According to the Standard Catalog the set was extensively counterfeited around 2002. All of the ones I have ever seen look toned in color. The pure white looks to good to be true. Brett
Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Here's my Musial. Cream stock, and I've had it since well before 2002.

Side by side with the white one. You can see where the printing block was getting a little worn with mine, the white dots to the left of the STL on the hat are gone, the shoulder on the left side is slightly less detailed because all the lines are thicker. That's the sort of detail that's hard to add in if you're faking something.

There's a few details of the printing method that I could probably see in a bigger higher res scan. It shows on the Snead Alex scanned.

I wouldn't have any question about the ones Alex has shown. (I need all of those BTW)

Steve B

Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Steve

Default Slightly Higer Res

I'm with you Steve as far as the feasibility of faking such detail goes. It just seems way too technically difficult for the potential profit return on this particular card. Searching online, I could not find the Lemke research on the reported counterfeiting of this set.
Maybe, if Bob notices this, he will help us out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Wheaties Musial.jpg (78.6 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Volod; 05-14-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Steve

So, I guess, in the absence of any further comment or evidence, the reported counterfeiting of the 1952 Wheaties set is somewhat questionable, no?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM
FredYoung

I'll throw in my .02¢ worth here. I have had a near-set of these guys since I was a kid & cut them off the cereal boxes myself. I just looked thru all of them and most all of mine remain pretty nice & white w/ only a hint of the dark toning usually found today.

Maybe it's the way I stored them all these yrs, but here are 4 at random I scanned. All have the typical grayish backs, some w/ & some w/out the stains shown in original post.

While the Musial in question sure has a ultra snow white border, mine are close to all white also and I can guarantee w/out question that they have been mine since day of issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheaties52a.jpg (65.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Steve

Thanks for your input, Fred. I'm still open to some convincing evidence of counterfeiting from the 2002 report, but as of now, based on the comments above, I'm skeptical about that.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Bob Lemke

Default There were definitely counterfeits

I no longer have access to the issues of SCD in which the details of the 1952 Wheaties counterfeits were presented. My recollection is that they were tied in with some fly by night grading company, as well as counterfeit 1963 Bazookas. There was an East Coast dealer who had his hands in all of it, but disclainmed responsibility.

It was my opinion then, and now, that the snow white Wheaties are modern counterfeits. I seem to remember the weight of the card stock differed from the originals, but again, that was 10+ years ago. Because the Wheaties art was line art, rather than photos, it was very easy to make convincing fakes.

Since known genuine examples are so inexpensive, why take the risk by buying a white-bordered card?

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM
FredYoung

In view of what Bob says, and taking another good look at the Ultra white Stan, I'm convinced it is a fake.

Study the contrast between the blue & white area on the hat right of STL--white dots show up and the white bleeds too brightly thru the blue on the neck, face & hat brim. In other words, the white dominates & the blue is weak.
Same goes for the wide uni stripe on Stan's right shoulder (lower left corner)--the white shows thru on the ultra white, but is solid blue on the original.

On all my originals, the blue dominates over the white---no washed out feeling when you look at an original.

I also don't buy that there were varying grades of cardboard used for Wheaties boxes. Mine came off an array of boxes bought at different times & every one is the same stock.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Steve Birmingham

Here's a few links showing some of what I was looking at.

The first is a full 52 box, family size and very light. Hard to tell if it's white or just not toned from age.

The second is a 52 panel from a different size, obviously the normal color.

And the third is a 51 single serving box clearly showing the white, which wasn't used on any of the parts of the box that wouldn't be seen.

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDeta...and-Campanella

http://www.auctionscc.com/archive/200711/day2/397/#a

http://www.wheatiesking.com/wp-conte...ny-Lujack1.jpg

I'm still on the fence about the very white Musial, it has some differences in the actual printing from mine, but shows a few similarities. Oddly the blue seems nearly perfect, and that would be the hardest part to copy. It's a bit more crisp than the one I have, but still looks good. The orange is bugging me for a few reasons. The one I have has very clear and straight borders, the white one looks slightly wavy and a bit sloppy on the inking. It's still hard to tell if it's typographed for sure, but sometimes a crisp print will be like that.

Usually you can see the ink darker or thicker at the edges of a letter or object. It's called squeezeout literally an ege of ink that gets squeezed out from between the print block and the paper. Lightly inked and/or lightly impressed and it might not show.

If the white one is fake, it's very impressive.

And I'll probably start looking for Wheaties more actively now. Another good puzzle you guys have got me into

Steve B
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Steve

Anyone know where I can get hold of a scale that measures in micrograms? I've studied the white Musial against several other cards in the set that are obviously genuine, and can't detect any difference in the weight or thickness or back tone of the cardstock.
Above, Bob observed: "Since known genuine examples are so inexpensive, why take the risk by buying a white-bordered card?" My question is: "Since known genuine examples are so inexpensive, why bother counterfeiting them?" Did the scam artists plan to reap enormous profits from buyers of this set? I paid $22 for the Musial on ebay a few years ago, so if it is fake, didn't get taken for much, I guess.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:14 PM

Maybe it was one of two possibilities as to why it was reproduced. Easy to copy and most likely cheap. Making a couple bucks off of each card would add up over the course of a year or two traveling to shows with unsuspecting collectors not knowing they were buying fakes. Or how about reproduction similar to Broder style cards that weren't original intended to deceive but to be cheap copies of the originals? If you like the card then enjoy it for what it is .... A baseball card . Brett
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Steve

Default maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett 75 View Post
Maybe it was one of two possibilities as to why it was reproduced. Easy to copy and most likely cheap. Making a couple bucks off of each card would add up over the course of a year or two traveling to shows with unsuspecting collectors not knowing they were buying fakes. Or how about reproduction similar to Broder style cards that weren't original intended to deceive but to be cheap copies of the originals? If you like the card then enjoy it for what it is .... A baseball card . Brett
but don't know that it would be cheap and easy to produce a counterfeit of the quality of the white Musial. As SteveB pointed out, it would require a new print block and commercial quality printing press - a simple digital scan would not suffice. Unless someone can come up with documented evidence of the counterfeiting, I'll enjoy the card as a carefully preserved genuine article, thanks very much.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
but don't know that it would be cheap and easy to produce a counterfeit of the quality of the white Musial. As SteveB pointed out, it would require a new print block and commercial quality printing press - a simple digital scan would not suffice. Unless someone can come up with documented evidence of the counterfeiting, I'll enjoy the card as a carefully preserved genuine article, thanks very much.
Actually you wouldn't absolutely need a commercial quality press. For these it could be done with nearly anything, even a vise. It would be slow but it would work.

Making the block to print from with that sort of accuracy would be the problem. It's doable, but would take some time. Maybe a whole lot of time. The orange would be easy, the blue not so easy.

Someday I'll have to give it a try and see if I can get a decent result. Done in different colors and maybe with "reprint" added to the design of course to prevent problems. Maybe even a modern player instead.

I have a faked E121 that I got in 1978, and that would have required some professional equipment. So faking wheaties certainly would have been possible in 2002. It just seems like much too much effort for too little to produce a fake that nice. Seriously, aside from the difference in stock I don't see much at all that doesn't look just right.

Steve B
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Steve

Interesting info Steve. Thanks for your expertise.