NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-24-2019, 07:23 AM

Default 1975 Topps mini - John Milner is finally upgraded

Won an auction lot of about 200 cards cheap (for a change) with the idea of upgrading my EX/Ex+ mini set.

I never collected the mini-set as a kid and bought this set at a decent price (not cheap but not expensive either). The regular 75's were the 1st set I really collected. Flipping through the binder while watching college football and sipping some whiskey brought the OCD out in me.

The set, either in mini- or regular size, is really tough. So many cards have fish eyes, print defects, diamond cut, off center left to right or offset top to bottom. Slight chips on the corners or sides really show even w/o my reading glasses.

The auction lot was good-I upgraded about 70 cards including said John Milner, who I saw play at Shea. But I realized I was more critical about the cards of Mets and Yankee players (I grew up in NYC and then in NJ burbs). So now I will have to upgrade Sparky Lyle (pink border is washed out), Seaver is mis cut. Thankfully, the major RCs are fine, but too many all star cards are are miscut.

I originally thought that I could grade one of the sets. But now besides throwing money away, I simply enjoy paging through a binder full of (raw) cards even if not perfect. Way easier than hauling out boxes and boxes full of slabbed cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1098.jpg (20.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 11-24-2019, 08:29 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

The size of slabs is a huge reason to not grade complete sets anymore. I fit about 170 comfortably in a USPS Priority Board Game box when I started selling them through COMC. Plus, for the vast majority of early 1970s commons, PSA 8-9s are no longer the $50-100 they used to be, they're $15-30. So they're no longer profitable to grade.

1975 Mini is an interesting set; I found a group of them a few years ago that I thought were worth consideration for grading. However, I decided to sell them on eBay and lost money on them. Most of the crazies who collect that set in PSA form have already upgraded everything they can and are no longer really buyers. It's one poised for a crash, IMO.

Selected five at random from the PSA Auction Prices tool and found:
#6 Mike Marshall: PSA 8s under $10, 9s around $90
#19 Koosman: PSA 8.5s for $10, 9s around $45
#33 Baker: PSA 8s and 9s for under $20
#51 Forsch: PSA 8s and 8.5s for $10
#74 Belanger: PSA 9s under $20

So if you really want to upgrade your raw set, buying graded and cracking out may be worthwhile to you.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Right. I'm not going to upgrade many more cards (famous last words).

I'm about 200 cards into a 1967 PSA graded set after completing that one mostly raw (the big RC's I had already). It's mid-grade but I stopped this summer--waiting to see if anything happens. Buying commons for less than what someone paid is fine. But that also makes me wonder...