NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Heritage is stating that these items are in PREVIEW and are for "amusement" purposes. They have done this before and much has been made of it here on 54. Even though they claim they have full letters from the TPA's they as of yet might not have them, based on previous claims of Heritage.
According to their rules, they can remove these items if they feel they are not authentic.
Talk amongst yourselves.

ps. Irony here, I have been banned by Heritage yet my post is sort of explaining what they are doing with these lots.
Thanks, Richard. They succeeded with their "amusement". I don't buy any such disclaimer from them; however, if a preview like this leads to discussion which leads to removal, I'm all for it.

To me the most important point regarding these high-dollar items, is that no one who studies Net54 regularly will ever knowingly get burned by any such auction (I chose ALL of my previous words quite carefully ). Prior to laying out the big $$$, we will either know the item is good based on our own research, or we will rely on comments here to help with our decision.

No AH can complain about memorabilia discussions here, as that's why we are here. They have to take the bad with the good, and if they are honest, the good will outweigh the bad. No, they are aiming this stuff at people with lots of money who do not read this forum - people who take the JSA or PSA certificate as meaning that the item is good. We hear people all the time say, when an item's authenticity is questioned: "It has a PSA [or JSA] letter", as if that closes the discussion.

I love having real autographs - I wish more autograph collectors thought it was important.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:36 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

If they are up for preview and for amusement purposes only ....then they have succeeded because the Jackson, Mathewson, and Lajoie are indeed amusing.
I would like to know what basis / references / criteria the TPAs in question are using to determine the authenticity of these items. Is it a reference book or a bank book ?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Lajoie signed photos and fan items 'Larry'. Even when he did sign 'Nap', that 'N' is highly unusual. I'm guessing this particular forgery was based on this signed item, chosen for its simplicity:

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Andrew L@Vine

Heritage presented these photos on the latest show "A Piece of the Game," and they mentioned that they were in an album that had been sitting in an attic (or basement) in OH for 60 years...so I am sure they fully intend on running these in the upcoming auction
Old 01-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan4 View Post
Heritage presented these photos on the latest show "A Piece of the Game," and they mentioned that they were in an album that had been sitting in an attic (or basement) in OH for 60 years...so I am sure they fully intend on running these in the upcoming auction
Good poll question: How old would the tree used to create the paper that these were printed on, be if alive today? I'm thinking 'not 60'
Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Heritage is stating that these items are in PREVIEW and are for "amusement" purposes. They have done this before and much has been made of it here on 54. Even though they claim they have full letters from the TPA's they as of yet might not have them, based on previous claims of Heritage.
According to their rules, they can remove these items if they feel they are not authentic.
Talk amongst yourselves.

ps. Irony here, I have been banned by Heritage for giving my opinion, and allowing it to be printed, to someone they believe is crooked, (I thought this was America) yet my post is sort of explaining what they are doing with these lots.
Banned for giving your opinion?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Richard is loved by all auction houses if he says yes. When you say no goodby
Old 01-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
Banned for giving your opinion?
I gave my opinion to Peter Nash about some autographs that he asked my opinion on. He printed my opinion in his newsletter. Heritage then banned me, claiming that I work for someone who is crooked.
I do not work for Nash and he just asked my opinion on some autographs for a story he was doing.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-12-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
I gave my opinion to Peter Nash about some autographs that he asked my opinion on. He printed my opinion in his newsletter. Heritage then banned me, claiming that I work for someone who is crooked.
I do not work for Nash and he just asked my opinion on some autographs for a story he was doing.
That's absurd. Your offering your opinion about someone else's opinion. I would think that's okay.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
That's absurd. Your offering your opinion about someone else's opinion. I would think that's okay.
Yeah but Heritage did not think so.
No problem, the sum total of my bids with them was and is zero.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Heritage auction is up and going with the discussed photos.