NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is online now
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default Big Mail Day Jeter SP!!

Thanks Greg @Lowpopper for the easy deal on a high end item!!! This looks better than an 9




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-23-2018, 10:25 PM
Sierra79's Avatar
Sierra79 Sierra79 is offline
Scott Silvers
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 106
Default

That's a huge pickup!!! Certainly has great eye appeal, and at the very least it is a super strong 9. Any idea what kept it from a 98? Surface?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-23-2018, 10:28 PM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is online now
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra79 View Post
That's a huge pickup!!! Certainly has great eye appeal, and at the very least it is a super strong 9. Any idea what kept it from a 98? Surface?


Some white edge on the back. I am going to send to BGS to try to get a 9.5.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2018, 10:42 PM
lowpopper's Avatar
lowpopper lowpopper is offline
Greg C
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: LONG ISLAND, NY
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhileman79 View Post
Thanks Greg @Lowpopper for the easy deal on a high end item!!! This looks better than an 9




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks. Jared was a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommended buyer.

.
__________________
EBAY STORE: ROOKIE-PARADE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2018, 11:00 PM
CW's Avatar
CW CW is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,343
Default

CONGRATS! Card looks great based on the photo.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 AM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is online now
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
CONGRATS! Card looks great based on the photo.


Thanks!! It is the best Jeter SP I have ever owned!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2018, 01:53 PM
ls7plus ls7plus is offline
Larry
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southfield, Michigan
Posts: 1,757
Default

My deepest sympathies go out to you. Hope you didn't pay too much for a player who was, as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel (OPS+ 115 to 111, a totally valid comparison between players of different eras), and not nearly as good defensively. Signature Jeter hit? Fisted blooper to right field (I sure saw enough of them off his bat--too numerous to count!). Signature Mantle hit? 450-500 foot+ homer (such as the blast to right off the facade at old Yankee Stadium, 117 feet high, 374' from home plate; the one over the left field scoreboard at old Griffith Park in Washington--supposedly traveling 565 feet--and the fact that center field UPPER deck in old Tiger Stadium--field level, 440' to dead center--was known as "Mickey Mantle territory" for good reason; plus 3 over the right field roof at Tiger Stadium). Plus, there are thousands and thousands of this card out there in higher grades, with extremely little to differentiate between them!

Just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to dampen your parade out of ill motive, but sometimes a little reason has to filter into the "popular" category, and not just mist, smoke, delusion and hype! Like the actual ability of the player, and not the common illusion regarding same. Jeter was a compiler, which is why is bare total stats over a long period make him look considerably better than he really was.

Just sayin',

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-24-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2018, 08:03 PM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is online now
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
My deepest sympathies go out to you. Hope you didn't pay too much for a player who was, as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel (OPS+ 115 to 111, a totally valid comparison between players of different eras), and not nearly as good defensively. Signature Jeter hit? Fisted blooper to right field (I sure saw enough of them off his bat--too numerous to count!). Signature Mantle hit? 450-500 foot+ homer (such as the blast to right off the facade at old Yankee Stadium, 117 feet high, 374' from home plate; the one over the left field scoreboard at old Griffith Park in Washington--supposedly traveling 565 feet--and the fact that center field UPPER deck in old Tiger Stadium--field level, 440' to dead center--was known as "Mickey Mantle territory" for good reason; plus 3 over the right field roof at Tiger Stadium). Plus, there are thousands and thousands of this card out there in higher grades, with extremely little to differentiate between them!

Just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to dampen your parade out of ill motive, but sometimes a little reason has to filter into the "popular" category, and not just mist, smoke, delusion and hype! Like the actual ability of the player, and not the common illusion regarding same. Jeter was a compiler, which is why is bare total stats over a long period make him look considerably better than he really was.

Just sayin',

Larry


I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-25-2018, 01:32 PM
JoeDfan JoeDfan is offline
Sean Sullivan
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhileman79 View Post
I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said!!!!
That is an AWESOME card!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-25-2018, 02:55 PM
savedfrommyspokes savedfrommyspokes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhileman79 View Post
I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Real nice card of a first ballot HOF player!

Unless you have a great amount of experience with submitting crossovers, I would consider keeping this nice card in the holder it resides in.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SGC Mail Day bnorth Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 9 03-01-2017 08:27 AM
Will this fit in a Priority Mail Box? ibuysportsephemera Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 2 10-19-2015 06:49 PM
Please sign Mr Jeter - NY Times article about collecting Jeter in Fla RichardSimon Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 111 02-23-2013 05:48 PM
How has your mail service been lately? Peter_Spaeth Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 9 11-23-2012 08:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.


ebay GSB