NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default Big Mail Day Jeter SP!!

Thanks Greg @Lowpopper for the easy deal on a high end item!!! This looks better than an 9




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Sierra79's Avatar
Sierra79 Sierra79 is offline
Scott Silvers
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 106
Default

That's a huge pickup!!! Certainly has great eye appeal, and at the very least it is a super strong 9. Any idea what kept it from a 98? Surface?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:28 PM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra79 View Post
That's a huge pickup!!! Certainly has great eye appeal, and at the very least it is a super strong 9. Any idea what kept it from a 98? Surface?


Some white edge on the back. I am going to send to BGS to try to get a 9.5.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:42 PM
lowpopper's Avatar
lowpopper lowpopper is offline
Greg C
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: LONG ISLAND, NY
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhileman79 View Post
Thanks Greg @Lowpopper for the easy deal on a high end item!!! This looks better than an 9




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks. Jared was a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommended buyer.

.
__________________
EBAY STORE: ROOKIE-PARADE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2018, 10:00 PM
CW's Avatar
CW CW is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,376
Default

CONGRATS! Card looks great based on the photo.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
CONGRATS! Card looks great based on the photo.


Thanks!! It is the best Jeter SP I have ever owned!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2018, 12:53 PM
ls7plus ls7plus is offline
Larry
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southfield, Michigan
Posts: 1,759
Default

My deepest sympathies go out to you. Hope you didn't pay too much for a player who was, as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel (OPS+ 115 to 111, a totally valid comparison between players of different eras), and not nearly as good defensively. Signature Jeter hit? Fisted blooper to right field (I sure saw enough of them off his bat--too numerous to count!). Signature Mantle hit? 450-500 foot+ homer (such as the blast to right off the facade at old Yankee Stadium, 117 feet high, 374' from home plate; the one over the left field scoreboard at old Griffith Park in Washington--supposedly traveling 565 feet--and the fact that center field UPPER deck in old Tiger Stadium--field level, 440' to dead center--was known as "Mickey Mantle territory" for good reason; plus 3 over the right field roof at Tiger Stadium). Plus, there are thousands and thousands of this card out there in higher grades, with extremely little to differentiate between them!

Just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to dampen your parade out of ill motive, but sometimes a little reason has to filter into the "popular" category, and not just mist, smoke, delusion and hype! Like the actual ability of the player, and not the common illusion regarding same. Jeter was a compiler, which is why is bare total stats over a long period make him look considerably better than he really was.

Just sayin',

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-24-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
My deepest sympathies go out to you. Hope you didn't pay too much for a player who was, as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel (OPS+ 115 to 111, a totally valid comparison between players of different eras), and not nearly as good defensively. Signature Jeter hit? Fisted blooper to right field (I sure saw enough of them off his bat--too numerous to count!). Signature Mantle hit? 450-500 foot+ homer (such as the blast to right off the facade at old Yankee Stadium, 117 feet high, 374' from home plate; the one over the left field scoreboard at old Griffith Park in Washington--supposedly traveling 565 feet--and the fact that center field UPPER deck in old Tiger Stadium--field level, 440' to dead center--was known as "Mickey Mantle territory" for good reason; plus 3 over the right field roof at Tiger Stadium). Plus, there are thousands and thousands of this card out there in higher grades, with extremely little to differentiate between them!

Just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to dampen your parade out of ill motive, but sometimes a little reason has to filter into the "popular" category, and not just mist, smoke, delusion and hype! Like the actual ability of the player, and not the common illusion regarding same. Jeter was a compiler, which is why is bare total stats over a long period make him look considerably better than he really was.

Just sayin',

Larry


I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 PM
JoeDfan JoeDfan is offline
Sean Sullivan
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhileman79 View Post
I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said!!!!
That is an AWESOME card!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-25-2018, 01:55 PM
savedfrommyspokes's Avatar
savedfrommyspokes savedfrommyspokes is offline
Member
Larry More.y
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhileman79 View Post
I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Real nice card of a first ballot HOF player!

Unless you have a great amount of experience with submitting crossovers, I would consider keeping this nice card in the holder it resides in.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Sierra79's Avatar
Sierra79 Sierra79 is offline
Scott Silvers
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 106
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
...as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel
Yeah, but what I think your neglecting to take into account is that Jeter was ROY, broke 3K hits, .310 career BA, 14xAS, 5xWS champ, and ROY, and if that's not enough, he played for the Yankees in a dynasty period. So, I'm not knocking Trammell or his own RC card, but in terms of name recognition, even outside of the hobby, Jeter is an iconic player and soon to be 1st ballot HOFer.

As far as his '93 SP rookie is concerned you are right, the population is enormous, but...once you get to the mint grades now we're talking several hundred cards not thousands. I also, don't see to the numbers changing too much as the years go on as most of those '93 SP's are probably stuck together or have been warped in their boxes over time. The foil on those cards are extremely sensitive to indentations in the surface, chipping, and corner wear. His looks far nicer than most (unless you haven't taken a look at those things up close) - honestly looks like a BGS 9.5. And, while the population of '78 Trammell/Molitor (and even the '78 BK) cards is much smaller, Jeter's popularity/recognition is far greater than both Trammell and Molitor combined, I'm not really sold on Trammell as a comparable to Jeter in terms of hobby appeal.

Either way, it should be interesting to see what happens to mint 9+ graded after he gets inducted.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-25-2018, 04:55 PM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Real nice card of a first ballot HOF player!



Unless you have a great amount of experience with submitting crossovers, I would consider keeping this nice card in the holder it resides in.


I am not going to crack it out. I am sending it to BGS tomorrow for 2/day review with a min 9.5 crossover grade!! I think it has a great chance


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2018, 12:33 AM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,164
Default

The only card post 1980 more iconic than the sp Jeter is the 86 Jordan. Jeter is the most popular and widely collected player of the modern era, and despite what a few haters have to say I don't see that changing. Championships, and being the face of the Yankees for over a decade mean a lot more than stats alone. The all star appearances and 3000 hits don't hurt either.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2018, 02:21 PM
tulsaboy tulsaboy is offline
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 77
Default

This is the most iconic post-1980 card shy of the 86 Jordan? I think not. 1984 Donruss Mattingly, 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco, 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson, and (of course) the 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. ALL are arguably more "iconic" as representatives of our hobby. For a period of time, the 1985 Topps McGwire, Clemens, Gooden and Puckett were also right up there. But the Jeter, though nice, is not nearly as immediately recognizable or "iconic" as the cards previously mentioned.
kevin
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2018, 03:57 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaboy View Post
This is the most iconic post-1980 card shy of the 86 Jordan? I think not. 1984 Donruss Mattingly, 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco, 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson, and (of course) the 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. ALL are arguably more "iconic" as representatives of our hobby. For a period of time, the 1985 Topps McGwire, Clemens, Gooden and Puckett were also right up there. But the Jeter, though nice, is not nearly as immediately recognizable or "iconic" as the cards previously mentioned.
kevin
Not sure if this is a sarcastic reply, but of those you mentioned the 89 ud Griffey is the only one that's even close now.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-27-2018, 06:45 PM
Sierra79's Avatar
Sierra79 Sierra79 is offline
Scott Silvers
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Not sure if this is a sarcastic reply, but of those you mentioned the 89 ud Griffey is the only one that's even close now.
I think all of those cards that were mentioned will always have some kind of iconic status, but the Jeter has taken over largely because of who he is and also the cardboard he appeared on (condition sensitive, relatively shorter print run than most of the typical junk wax cards, and it being the flagship year for SP). I will say, in my humble opinion, that the '89 Griffey RC is still more iconic than the Jeter (at least to me), but things change over time. At the very least, one could say is the Griffey most iconic card of the 80's and the Jeter has become the most iconic card of the 90's (not bad for Upper Deck).

However, all that being said, there is no way that the other cards can even compare to the popularity of Jeter's '93 SP - I think the demand and price speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,164
Default

I collect Griffey, and the 89 ud was pretty iconic at the time it was released. The first card of a new set helped too. But there are so many out there that the sp Jeter has surpassed it. That 100k recent sale for a 10 proves the point. Other than some rare 1/1s or super fractor type cards, or low pop lebron rookies nothing produced in the last 40 years will come close to that price. And it's just a base card.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 PM
ls7plus ls7plus is offline
Larry
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southfield, Michigan
Posts: 1,759
Default

I want to sincerely apologize for raining on your parade. Unfortunately, I was in a bad mood at the time, and should have realized that the key thing is that your acquisition of a very high quality Jeter rookie, with great eye appeal, brings you the joy that collecting whatever the rest of us collect brings us. Making those comments was extremely rude and boorish of me, and I have regretted making them ever since that post. Once again, I am very sorry for my negative comments, and wish you all the joy that collecting can bring. I would be honored if you would accept this apology.

Sincerely,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-28-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-29-2018, 05:39 AM
Jhileman79 Jhileman79 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I want to sincerely apologize for raining on your parade. Unfortunately, I was in a bad mood at the time, and should have realized that the key thing is that your acquisition of a very high quality Jeter rookie, with great eye appeal, brings you the joy that collecting whatever the rest of us collect brings us. Making those comments was extremely rude and boorish of me, and I have regretted making them ever since that post. Once again, I am very sorry for my negative comments, and wish you all the joy that collecting can bring. I would be honored if you would accept this apology.

Sincerely,

Larry


Thanks Larry!! I appreciate the comments!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 7,223
Default

And harmony is restored to our little community...

Oh, and nice card!
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
10% off any BIN in my eBay store (user name: exhibitman) for N54 members buying direct from me through this site instead, just PM me.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-29-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:41 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 1,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
My deepest sympathies go out to you. Hope you didn't pay too much for a player who was, as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel (OPS+ 115 to 111, a totally valid comparison between players of different eras), and not nearly as good defensively. Signature Jeter hit? Fisted blooper to right field (I sure saw enough of them off his bat--too numerous to count!). Signature Mantle hit? 450-500 foot+ homer (such as the blast to right off the facade at old Yankee Stadium, 117 feet high, 374' from home plate; the one over the left field scoreboard at old Griffith Park in Washington--supposedly traveling 565 feet--and the fact that center field UPPER deck in old Tiger Stadium--field level, 440' to dead center--was known as "Mickey Mantle territory" for good reason; plus 3 over the right field roof at Tiger Stadium). Plus, there are thousands and thousands of this card out there in higher grades, with extremely little to differentiate between them!

Just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to dampen your parade out of ill motive, but sometimes a little reason has to filter into the "popular" category, and not just mist, smoke, delusion and hype! Like the actual ability of the player, and not the common illusion regarding same. Jeter was a compiler, which is why is bare total stats over a long period make him look considerably better than he really was.

Just sayin',

Larry
Wow way to throw a wet blanket on that. Just because you hold a personal opinion about a certain player doesn't mean that player can't have a fantastic baseball card. Jeez.
__________________
T206, T212. HOF postwar singles. All types of vintage Cubs...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:43 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 1,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
The only card post 1980 more iconic than the sp Jeter is the 86 Jordan.
Gotta disagree with you there, at least in favor of 1989 Upper Deck #1. Yes, it's not nearly expensive as either the Jeter or the Jordan. But it is easily iconic.
__________________
T206, T212. HOF postwar singles. All types of vintage Cubs...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:44 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 1,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Wow way to throw a wet blanket on that. Just because you hold a personal opinion about a certain player doesn't mean that player can't have a fantastic baseball card. Jeez.
And Larry my apologies to you - as I see you did the right thing. I replied before scrolling to the bottom. Oy. Happy Friday everyone...
__________________
T206, T212. HOF postwar singles. All types of vintage Cubs...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-05-2018, 12:18 AM
ls7plus ls7plus is offline
Larry
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southfield, Michigan
Posts: 1,759
Default

It's completely OK, John. My original bad--I deserved the rips. Hope your collecting brings you all you are seeking!

Sincerely,

Larry
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,742
Default

I'm not a huge fan of the new shiny stuff, but in hand the SP Jeter is a very attractive card IMO. Then again I really like the 94 SP Arod too.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Neal's Avatar
Neal Neal is offline
Ne@l K
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: US
Posts: 1,262
Default

Certainly iconic - congrats!! And realllllllly nice looking card!

The 89 UD Griffey is one of the most iconic cards of any hobby era. The SP is a top 5 modern era card.


and Peter, don't sell us a bag of goods …. you LOVE shiny stuff!
__________________
Neal

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-07-2019, 12:17 PM
smrtn240 smrtn240 is offline
Shawn M
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 368
Default

great info here, just lay off the sauce
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Rookiemonster's Avatar
Rookiemonster Rookiemonster is offline
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nj
Posts: 1,352
Default

This card also has been increasing at a insane rate this year.
__________________
Just a collector that likes to talk and read about the Hobby. 🤓👍🏼
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-07-2019, 08:36 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,802
Default

IMO the pump before the HOF dump
__________________
SIGNED 1952 Topps
381/407


"Trolling Ebay right now" ©
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:50 PM
MVSNYC MVSNYC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,376
Default

Literally, in the last 2 weeks alone, the Jeter SP has gone quite nuts. I assume the start of the new season has something to do with the bump, but it's been really insane these last few weeks. Wow. Certainly a big supply, BUT clearly an even bigger demand. Iconic.

Glad I got a stack of them when I did.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-08-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-09-2019, 01:29 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Literally, in the last 2 weeks alone, the Jeter SP has gone quite nuts. I assume the start of the new season has something to do with the bump, but it's been really insane these last few weeks. Wow. Certainly a big supply, BUT clearly an even bigger demand. Iconic.

Glad I got a stack of them when I did.
https://www.beckett.com/news/sp-is-f...icing-insider/

As these get out of reach for a lot of people it only makes sense his other cards follow. I am unsure the amount of "10"s wit this card but it looks like it is going to finish well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...-/352635943746
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 AM
MVSNYC MVSNYC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,376
Default

Dale, thanks for that article. High tide raises all boats.

About 2-3 years ago a bought each of his rookie cards in PSA 10 (save for the SP, which I own ten 8.5's). Looks like one of my better decisions.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:27 PM
MVSNYC MVSNYC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,376
Default

PS-

Dale, let's keep an eye on his Stadium Club card, too...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Stadiu...kAAOSwmU1cp9d3
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-13-2019, 09:49 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Dale, thanks for that article. High tide raises all boats.

About 2-3 years ago a bought each of his rookie cards in PSA 10 (save for the SP, which I own ten 8.5's). Looks like one of my better decisions.
You're welcome, MVSNYC.

That was definitely a great decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
PS-

Dale, let's keep an eye on his Stadium Club card, too...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Stadiu...kAAOSwmU1cp9d3
I think it was around 92-93 when I decided to take a break from collecting so unfortunately my last Topps card were the 92 Stadium Clubs.
When I got back into the hobby in 2016, I went through a bunch of stuff and noticed I had purchased a 92 Pinnacle pack which had Jeter's card in it. I assume back then he was just another player/common as I didn't even have it in a sleeve nor top loader.
It's in nice shape, luckily, but I doubt it's worth sending it in to get graded?

I'm curious where these 2 cards are going to end?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (64.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (69.2 KB, 119 views)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
PS-

Dale, let's keep an eye on his Stadium Club card, too...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Stadiu...kAAOSwmU1cp9d3
Makes no sense to me why these are skyrocketing. There are hundreds if not thousands of them, and nothing in terms of his career has happened. "Investors" driving them up? Mike I would sell some of yours unless you own them purely out of love, don't fall prey to the thinking that they will go up forever.

I get the Yankee thing, to an extent. And the character thing I admire Jeter myself. But geez, an OK SS with not a lot of power as hobby icon????
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-13-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:48 PM
MVSNYC MVSNYC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,376
Default

Peter- I am scratching my head too, with the sudden, seemingly unprovoked spike.

In regards to your last line...he was a fiery competitor, who won 5 rings, and was extremely well-liked. That all adds up.

Also, I think people forgot, or simply don't realize...he's number 6 on the all-time hits list. That's a pretty big deal, considering all the greats who have played the game.

I plan to hold for a while, may peel a few off next summer (when he's inducted).

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-19-2019, 11:12 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
PS-

Dale, let's keep an eye on his Stadium Club card, too...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Stadiu...kAAOSwmU1cp9d3
MVSNYC, I am curious on your thoughts how these 2 cards ended? Are these new highs for these cards or are they within the ballpark of what they have sold for in the past?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...orig_cvip=true
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-19-2019, 03:58 PM
MVSNYC MVSNYC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,376
Default

Hi Dale, definitely new highs (as far as I know). I bought my examples of each (PSA 10's) for half those prices 2 years ago. Quite honestly, I think they were still half those prices 2 months ago. Seems that his cards have gone nuts (more than doubled) in the last 6-8 weeks.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-19-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Hi Dale, definitely new highs (as far as I know). I bought my examples of each (PSA 10's) for half those prices 2 years ago. Quite honestly, I think they were still half those prices 2 months ago. Seems that his cards have gone nuts (more than doubled) in the last 6-8 weeks.
That's a quick uptick in prices!

Thanks MVSNYC.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SGC Mail Day bnorth Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 9 03-01-2017 07:27 AM
Will this fit in a Priority Mail Box? ibuysportsephemera Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 2 10-19-2015 05:49 PM
Please sign Mr Jeter - NY Times article about collecting Jeter in Fla RichardSimon Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 111 02-23-2013 04:48 PM
How has your mail service been lately? Peter_Spaeth Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 9 11-23-2012 07:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.


ebay GSB