NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Kenneth McMillan

Hello,

testing your identification skills from the player pictured. Give me the player, year, and team.

Kmac

[linked image]?t=1228014469

Old 11-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Joe D.

I'm gonna guess Elmer Miller.

(mostly because the image is called ElmerMiller.jpg) happy.gif

Old 11-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Mark L

I say Giants. The socks could be from 1917. It's an infield pose. Could it be Heinie Zimmerman?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Tim Kindler

I believe it is George "High Pockets" Kelly, 1926 New York Giants.
....But I've been wrong before.

Thanks for the fun question.
Tim Kindler

Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Joe d,

trying to settle an old family discussion. This is a copy of the original photo from 1921. The question is "is it really Elmer or is it another player pictured?" Thought I would post for board opinion. It would be considered an infield pose but Elmer Miller was an outfielder.

Tim,

Looked up an old exhibit card and he does look similar to Kelly. However looking at the picture and the card, the glove worn is different.

kmac

Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Kmac,

I was basing my guess off of a 1927 E126 Kelly that I just aquired in the latest Goodwin & Co auction. Take a look at their website to see it. Lot #219.
Best of luck with your search and confirming actually who it is.

Tim Kindler

Old 11-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Tim,

Nice card and congrats on the pick up. Saw that Kelly was a first baseman explaining the difference in gloves. Looked up some other E121 cards that I have and this player appears to have a glove similar to the gloves most outfielders wear. Miller was the center fielder for the Yankees in the 1921 world series which would fit the picture. It is also interesting that the e121 photos of Miller show him throwing from an area that appears to look like an infield when he was actually an outfielder. One of his cards is currently listed on Ebay.

kmac

Old 11-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Kmac,
Funny you mentioned it was a Yankee. The player that came to mind besides Kelly from the Giants was a player named Muesel, Bob I think it was, who I believe played for the 27 Yankees. I thought I saw a picture similar to yours in a book sometime back and it was identified as Muesel. Just another thought, but your Miller ID sounds like it is the correct one.

Anyway, good luck and I think I found a new set to collect with the E126. My addiction keeps growing and growing!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Todd Schultz

You probably already know this, but the only way this is Elmer is if in fact it is from the 1921 season--the rest of his time there the cap would not match (and it may not match anyway).

Looking at Okkonen's depiction of the various teams' uniforms, it seems the Giants and Yanks were nearly identical in 1921, but for the Giants' "NY" logo on the left sleeve, which of course you cannot see here. The difference, at least in my Budweiser influenced eye, lies in the cap--it seems the "Y" in "NY" is placed/shown differently, much like it is with the Mets vs. Yankees, with the NL version being more "spread".

If you focus on that, it seems to me to look more like a Yankee cap than a Giant. Of course, if I'm wrong and it's a Giant shown, all that means is you've disproved it as Miller--you still need to decide who it is.
Deliciously, the two New York teams met in the '21 World Series, hinting someone may have intended Elmer but photographed someone else. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

The Meusel who played for the New York Giants was Bob's brother, Emil 'Irish" Meusel.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

To me, that image screams Travis Jackson. Check out his W517 for comparison.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Ken McMillan

I have another pick of 5 yankees in a dougout one of which is clearly Ruth wearing the same uniform. The original pick had 1921 written on the back of the photo which came from my grandmother who was a shirttail relative of Elmer Miller. We believe it to be Elmer with a few family members that question as to whether it is him or not. The original is framed and is very fragile from age. Pretty cool pick anyway you look at it.

Kmac

Old 11-30-2008, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

At first glance, he appeared to be a pitcher at the end of his delivery. At second glance, he appeared more like he was fielding a ground ball which could make him an outfielder (Elmer Miller) or an infielder. He doesn't look like anyone in particular which means he looks like everybody.

marty

Old 11-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Joe D.

to be honest....

the first name that popped in my head when I saw the photo was Rube Marquard.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

He looks like Travis Jackson in particular. Can this even be argued?

[linked image]

Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Anonymous

OK. I'm voting for Elmer Miller based on the indention below his cheekbone. Here is his E121 card for comparison:

[linked image]

Old 11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Default Name the player

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Brian,

My wife said the sam thing based upon the very things you said