NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

Our gardening season got started early this year and I took advantage - normally we wouldn't have ripe tomatoes until August. I've already pulled several Japanese eggplants and yellow squash and hoping the collard greens work out.

Favorite tomato so far is the Black Krim with Mr. Stripey a close second.

Another good thing: we adopted a 1.5-2 yr old black and tan coonhound three months ago. He's a very lovable dog. He has some issues that I'm not solving very well, but he's about to go back to a professional trainer, so we are looking forward to a lovable AND manageable dog. As you have mentioned (Ben), rescues don't forget that they have been rescued, but I'll add that it's good to let the dog pick you out at the shelter - if you are paying attention, there will be at least one that informs you that you should be his new companion.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:08 PM

Just found out a few days ago that my comic strip is getting published by ths magazine called Palooka next year.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:19 PM
pariah1107

Shelter animals are my first and only choice for pets.

The Whiskey Dick triathlon last weekend was an awesome time with friends. I finished the one mile Columbia River swim in 18:56 almost 30 seconds faster than two years ago , and was fourth overall out of the water. Our three man relay finished second in our age group 40-45; a nearly one hour improvement from our last effort (no event last year due to water level problems from the Colockum Dam). Here's my daughter at the Vantage boat launch before the swim.... "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Last edited by pariah1107; 08-04-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Our gardening season got started early this year and I took advantage - normally we wouldn't have ripe tomatoes until August. I've already pulled several Japanese eggplants and yellow squash and hoping the collard greens work out.

Favorite tomato so far is the Black Krim with Mr. Stripey a close second.

Another good thing: we adopted a 1.5-2 yr old black and tan coonhound three months ago. He's a very lovable dog. He has some issues that I'm not solving very well, but he's about to go back to a professional trainer, so we are looking forward to a lovable AND manageable dog. As you have mentioned (Ben), rescues don't forget that they have been rescued, but I'll add that it's good to let the dog pick you out at the shelter - if you are paying attention, there will be at least one that informs you that you should be his new companion.
My last 3 shelter dogs picked me. We had a St Bernard for 13 years, a Rottweiler for 13 years, and our current Pitbull for close to 2 years now.

When getting our current dog I did not want a small dog(under 100 lbs) or a pitbull. Well now we have a 75 lb Pitbull named Bubba that sad puppy eyed me into adopting him and I am darn glad he did.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My last 3 shelter dogs picked me. We had a St Bernard for 13 years, a Rottweiler for 13 years, and our current Pitbull for close to 2 years now.

When getting our current dog I did not want a small dog(under 100 lbs) or a pitbull. Well now we have a 75 lb Pitbull named Bubba that sad puppy eyed me into adopting him and I am darn glad he did.
Yes, if you let them adopt you, you will generally end up with something you didn't plan on. My plan was a 40-50 pound Australian Shepherd or Border Collie - my last dog, Angie, was a 75 pound lovable hound that I carried quite a bit for the last four years of her life, so this time I wanted a dog that would be easy to handle when it got old. So I brought home a 90 pound Coonhound puppy

I blame it on David, as he was there with me and didn't tell me not to. Bad David.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I picked 7 tomatoes yesterday! I have 12 different varieties producing and really enjoying my first garden.
I've never cared for tomatoes. My wife loves them.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

I love them, but from a practical standpoint - many of my recipes call for tomato sauce, and there is nothing better than home-made. I have 15 plants, hoping they go crazy so that I can make enough sauce to fill the freezer. I really don't care for the stuff in the cans.

My girlfriend does not usually like tomatoes, but she has been eating these every time I bring them into the house. They are quite different from what you get in a store, as in - they have flavor.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Dave

There was a story in yesterdays paper that there will be a bumper crop of apples in New England this year. I hope the huge storm with hail today didn't ruin that prediction.

My wife won't let me have a dog. We live in a very small apartment.

Congratulations on the comic strip getting published.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Dave

Thank you all for posting. I hope more people will do the same.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post

My wife won't let me have a dog.
I have always found it is much easier to get forgiven than get permission from the wife.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

This link that Steve B posted in the autograph section was pretty funny: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/84680172/
Old 08-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Ben North

This is about as good news as possible as a collector. A fellow member sent me all these wonderful cards for absolutely free. It was a medium flat rate box completely full. The only negative is now I have a little over 100 different 55 Bowman cards and am getting the itch to jut finish the set.

To the wonderful gentleman that sent me the cards. Thank you very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg free1.jpg (77.9 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg free2.jpg (77.8 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 08-05-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Dave

Quote:
I have always found it is much easier to get forgiven than get permission from the wife.
My wife threatens to kill me when I do stuff like that. I keep wondering if she would do me in some day.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Mike C@.v3

Hey Dave...hope you're feeling better these days

Nothing special, but I did complete my first pre-war set a few months ago...the T201 set. I first started in the middle of 2011, so it was a small journey for me and I'm very happy with the end result I'm pushing towards a few sets that will take a bit longer, but the journey is where all the fun is, right? I'm hoping the real fun starts in the next five years or so...when my boys are in the 10-12 yr old range and maybe, just maybe, they will get into collecting also. I will support whatever hobby they choose, but I can't help but to push them a little towards this great hobby that we all share
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 08-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Hey Dave...hope you're feeling better these days

Nothing special, but I did complete my first pre-war set a few months ago...the T201 set. I first started in the middle of 2011, so it was a small journey for me and I'm very happy with the end result I'm pushing towards a few sets that will take a bit longer, but the journey is where all the fun is, right? I'm hoping the real fun starts in the next five years or so...when my boys are in the 10-12 yr old range and maybe, just maybe, they will get into collecting also. I will support whatever hobby they choose, but I can't help but to push them a little towards this great hobby that we all share
Mike, I appreciate the kind thoughts. I've haven't tried to build a pre-war set. Yet It's nice to see people responding to the topic. It all helps.

Last edited by DHogan; 08-10-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

More good news. I never talk with my sister who lives in Portland, but decided to give her a call yesterday. Turns out she is good friends with the dog trainer who we had thought about using for our coonhound Bedlam...I mean 'Bailey'.

Also, the sun gold tomatoes yielded their first ripe tomatoes the other day, and my girlfriend loves them. She had been buying expensive baskets of yellow cherry tomatoes, so I decided to plant a couple of sun golds. I earned some points for my next bout of bad behavior
Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Wheaties flavored beer!!!!
#thisissowrong
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!!!!!
I watched my morning news as they advertised this limited offer #Fox5News
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Wheaties flavored beer!!!!
#thisissowrong
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!!!!!
I watched my morning news as they advertised this limited offer #Fox5News
That is just so wrong, in so many ways.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Dave

It's been a while since anyone has shared some good news. How about it folks.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm going to be a great uncle (I guess that will be my title when my nephew's wife gives birth (hoping for a lefty)) in June & I didn't have to do anything...

However, I have been mailing a lot of Babies-are-Us gift cards lately.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Archive

I recently made a modern card trade on another website with a collector who needed some help with a set and since I had a few cards that he needed, we struck up a trade. When I received my cards in the mail, I noticed that one of the cards was a variation and worth about $20 more than the card I originally traded for. After messaging the collector to the mix up and offering to make up the difference, he replied with "Its only cardboard, enjoy the card!.

I thought it was a nice gesture from another collector whom I've never met and this was our first trade.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Dave

Congrats uncle. One of my nephews became an uncle when he was 6 years old. His step sister or something like that. So I guess that made me a great uncle at 30.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up

I like this. Enjoy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFzXaFbxDcM
Old 05-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
Yeah that helped. I go thru a whole 20 seconds of it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:07 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
I tried to stop watching that.... but couldn't
Old 05-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 10-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Dave

It's been a while since anyone posted some good news. What's up ?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

i dont normally share personal info but, we just found out my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child & its a girl this time!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
i dont normally share personal info but, we just found out my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child & its a girl this time!

Congratulations !
Old 10-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I'm in remission for 9 months now, and just finished as an Honor patient for LLS in KC Light The Night Walk.

Had 6K walkers, and raised over $800k!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
I'm in remission for 9 months now, and just finished as an Honor patient for LLS in KC Light The Night Walk.

Had 6K walkers, and raised over $800k!

Nice !
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Daryl

Default I need to hear some good news.

My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be! The only bad news (not really) is that I'm selling my collection to help out, but I'm glad to do it.

Last edited by 4815162342; 10-04-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be! The only bad news (not really) is that I'm selling my collection to help out, but I'm glad to do it.
Thats awesome! Congrats!!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be!
Congratulations !
Old 10-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Dave

Thank you to all the members that post in this topic. It's helped me in a good way to hear some real time good news. With all the stuff that my wife has been going thru the past 6 years due to complications from chronic progressive Multiple Sclerosis. She has been dealing with MS for 28 years. We were told yesterday that she needs to be on a ventilator permanently and 24/7 nursing care. Any prayers and kind thoughts will help us both.

Best regards,
Dave Hogan
Old 10-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Thank you to all the members that post in this topic. It's helped me in a good way to hear some real time good news. With all the stuff that my wife has been going thru the past 6 years due to complications from chronic progressive Multiple Sclerosis. She has been dealing with MS for 28 years. We were told yesterday that she needs to be on a ventilator permanently and 24/7 nursing care. Any prayers and kind thoughts will help us both.

Best regards,
Dave Hogan
I wish you and your Wife the best.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Ben North

For some good news I am on vacation and this is the view off the upper deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vacation.jpg (75.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Dave

Quote:
I wish you and your Wife the best.
Thank you.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Don

Quote:

Best regards,
Dave Hogan

Very sorry to hear about your wife. I had a friend with MS and saw how terrible this disease is first hand. Best wishes for your family.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Dave

Thanks guys. She's doing a little better today. I'll take what ever she can do.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Dave

Anyone have something to tell us ?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I am still in remission from lymphoma, and was moved to a 6 month follow-up after every 90 days the first year after my last chemo treatment.

My next follow-up is in January, after the follow-up I had earlier this week, and will have a scan done to check for any traces of lymphoma that may have shown back up.

The scan is routine, and done 2 years after the last chemo treatment ( December 2015 ).

Dave, I am hoping that you, your wife, family, and friends are all well and hanging in there.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 07-16-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Dave

That's great new Lou. We're just taking it one day at a time here.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

hey dave, i do hope you and your wife are doing will. my thoughts and prayers are with u guys.

just to add a follow up to my 1st good news post - the wife gave birth in april- the delivery was awful, but it all turned out great. My baby girl (2ed child) is now 3.5 months old and healthy!

Old 07-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
hey dave, i do hope you and your wife are doing will. my thoughts and prayers are with u guys.

just to add a follow up to my 1st good news post - the wife gave birth in april- the delivery was awful, but it all turned out great. My baby girl (2ed child) is now 3.5 months old and healthy!
Congratulations on the baby. What did you name her ?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Congratulations on the baby. What did you name her ?
Julia

Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Dave

Love that name.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 PM
Dave

It's been a while since anyone has any good news updates.

Last edited by DHogan; 01-31-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Joshua

Hi Dave,

My father is close to 70 and is legally blind in one eye. He had symptoms of macular degeneration which could spread into both eyes. Freaked me out because my dad is my best friend and my mom depends on him so. Went in and found out that he had a leak in his eyeball. While not reversible also not degenerable with surgery and won’t spread to his other eye. Doesn’t sound like it but great news.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:07 AM

I will have my second short story appear in print sometime in the spring. Received the good news today.