NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2022, 10:19 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default PSA by the numbers (Jan 2022)

My thoughts:

- Basketball card prices have dropped like crazy since last year, and so it's surprising to see the sport still leading by a wide margin.

- Holy freaking Pokemon!

- Where the hell is hockey?

- We are obviously in another "junk wax era." Once this comes to an end, will this order change? Will baseball end up back in first place or will it slip further?
Old 02-14-2022, 10:41 AM
J@E R1T0

I agree. NBA Basketball (vintage and modern) has dipped, but is still the strongest by a mile in my opinion. Modern Football seems next to me, then vintage baseball. Apart from a few key rookies, I've never seen Hockey even "warm."

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:44 AM

Anybody wonder how many of these are resubmissions for auction purposes?
Old 02-14-2022, 11:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

I have read their backlog is still …. wait for it... 6 million.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:58 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

My thoughts:

- Basketball card prices have dropped like crazy since last year, and so it's surprising to see the sport still leading by a wide margin.
Until you realize those cards were sent in a year ago. (They have 14 of my cards that I sent in last March, including RCs of Shaq, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Tim Duncan, and Dwyane Wade. Probably wouldn't have chosen to send any of them in at today's prices.)

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 02-14-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:01 PM
Doug Goodman

Serious question :

Does anybody have any idea how many opinion givers there are working at everybody's favorite opinion seller?
Old 02-14-2022, 12:04 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

The backlog is distorting the data IMHO. If you look at the Jan 2022 numbers, the VAST majority of those graded cards were submitted in late-Nov 2020 to January 2021 (I know this, because a Bulk Modern order I sent in early Jan 2021 is still in Grading, and everybody submitted in the same time frame is still waiting). It seems like they are moving faster on Bulk Ultra Modern and Bulk Non-sports (ie more graders dedicated to those categories).

Back in late-2020 and early-2021, NBA was definitely on fire, so when everybody was preparing submissions, I think almost anything BBall looked like a winner for the $12 grading fee.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:11 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
The backlog is distorting the data IMHO. If you look at the Jan 2022 numbers, the VAST majority of those graded cards were submitted in late-Nov 2020 to January 2021 (I know this, because a Bulk Modern order I sent in early Jan 2021 is still in Grading, and everybody submitted in the same time frame is still waiting). It seems like they are moving faster on Bulk Ultra Modern and Bulk Non-sports (ie more graders dedicated to those categories).

Back in late-2020 and early-2021, NBA was definitely on fire, so when everybody was preparing submissions, I think almost anything BBall looked like a winner for the $12 grading fee.
The backlog IS the data. It is odd that PSA is tracking and reporting month-to-month variations like this, seemingly implying that these numbers mean something, as if there is a correlation to the current market when there is none. If they wanted to actually provide useful data, they'd have to break out the numbers only for cards submitted in the last few months.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 02-14-2022, 12:58 PM
Drew W@i$e

Sorry, I am confused. Is there another post or article about PSA numbers?
Old 02-14-2022, 01:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
The backlog IS the data. It is odd that PSA is tracking and reporting month-to-month variations like this, seemingly implying that these numbers mean something, as if there is a correlation to the current market when there is none. If they wanted to actually provide useful data, they'd have to break out the numbers only for cards submitted in the last few months.
Or just provide monthly submission data, which I don't believe they do.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:47 PM
Bob C.

It may just be that despite the backlog, they wanted to show their production/output is up, so that people didn't think they weren't trying to address the situation at all. But showing submission data wouldn't necessarily be helpful or overly relevant since they shut down a large part of their submissions last year, and are still operating on a restricted/reduced submission scale now. What would be relevant is to see what monthly submissions and subsequent grading output is once they are back to whatever their fully open and normalized submission status will finally be, and their long-term pricing going forward has been determined and put in place.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:12 PM
Scott S

Also interesting to see the surge in soccer. Soccer cards were an extremely small area of collecting just 7-8 years ago, and I have watched the surge in value of superstars, just like in our 4 main sports.

Pele, Maradona, Messi, etc. cards have reached astronomical prices, including a Pele rookie which just surpassed $1M! (This one hits too close to home for me - too soon to talk about it....) It really seemed to take off in parallel with basketball last year, but hasn't seen a dip in the same manner. And prices on eBay continue to show very strong results for soccer - I would expect the % of their business coming from soccer to continue to grow as these stats are shown in future months.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:55 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Read the related recent discussion on the PSA Board:

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...-for-the-hobby
Old 02-14-2022, 02:55 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have read their backlog is still …. wait for it... 6 million.
And they put out charts like this as if to say, "look what a great job we're doing for our customers!" 🤣
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-15-2022, 09:04 AM
Rich Klein

I'm not as good as math as I should be nor do I have any way of saying this other than instinct but,...

for those who were hoping for $20-25 submission prices in 2022 think again. With the shows PSA will be setting up at (For example Long Beach this weekend) and the cards which are submitted from members of their club (not even counting group submissions) so.,.

It will be at least till January of 2023 if not later before we see some return to normalcy for PSA. At least we can guesstimate from all the information but that's just my supposition.

Rich
Old 02-15-2022, 09:45 AM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I'm not as good as math as I should be nor do I have any way of saying this other than instinct but,...

for those who were hoping for $20-25 submission prices in 2022 think again. With the shows PSA will be setting up at (For example Long Beach this weekend) and the cards which are submitted from members of their club (not even counting group submissions) so.,.

It will be at least till January of 2023 if not later before we see some return to normalcy for PSA. At least we can guesstimate from all the information but that's just my supposition.

Rich
Rich, no fears, I just reviewed a copy of PSA's strategy to reduce the backlog to SOP in 60 days. Here's the highlights:

-1 Install a random number generator that spits out grades on a PSA label by simply pulling down an arm, much like a slot machine. No review of the actual card will be needed. Statistics from the test showed that the grade output is within a single grade of a card graded by a trained professional 58% of the time - good enough for PSA!

-2 Hire a trained chimp named "Alfie" to box all shipments immediately after slabbing. His match up rate of customer-to-order is an astounding 44%, or about a 10% improvement over current processes.

-3 Eliminate the QA process. PSA customer polling reveals that most customers don't mind a stray hair or dust bunny being slabbed with their $5,000 card. Also, revenue is forecasted to increase 8%, given that many "picky" customers will pay for a reslab.

What an amazing business plan PSA!!! Thank God Joe Orlando "retired." Now you can really get some things done!

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 02-15-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:34 PM
Johnny MaZilli

This shows that PSA is dominating. No other TPG is close in their profits it's amazing!
Old 02-17-2022, 12:02 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

There's a guy on YouTube that follows the actual population numbers each week for all the categories and gives you a grand total also. His YouTube name is Retro Hoop Collectibles. Those numbers are more accurate.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 02-17-2022, 03:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Nothing matters until we finally get our godd*mn 'Swinging Sixties' group sub back. It's gotten to the point where we had to give Bobby our next of kin info, because some of us will no longer be alive when the cards are returned.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:03 PM
Doug Goodman

I know that you all consider me "snarky anti grader guy", and I won't deny it, but..

Serious question :

Does anybody have any idea how many opinion givers work at everybody's favorite opinion seller?

You guys talk about hundreds of thousands if not millions of slabs, isn't anybody curious about the time spent on an individual card? Time that changes the value of the card exponentially?

Doug
Old 02-17-2022, 05:31 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Nothing matters until we finally get our godd*mn 'Swinging Sixties' group sub back. It's gotten to the point where we had to give Bobby our next of kin info, because some of us will no longer be alive when the cards are returned.
My blood boiled when I learned PSA is performing in-person grading at certain shows. The national is one thing, but PSA has had our cards almost a year now, and some jack wagon at a regional show, willing to pay a highway robbery amount, jumps ahead of us all.

Shows how much PSA cares about the backlogged customers. The $15.00 a card, true-collector, guy continue waiting while the ultra modern $150.00 a card flipper gets ushered to the front of the line. PSA is probably grading cards at these regional shows that were manufactured and printed after it received our submission. Think about that!
Old 02-17-2022, 06:55 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
My blood boiled when I learned PSA is performing in-person grading at certain shows. The national is one thing, but PSA has had our cards almost a year now, and some jack wagon at a regional show, willing to pay a highway robbery amount, jumps ahead of us all.

Shows how much PSA cares about the backlogged customers. The $15.00 a card, true-collector, guy continue waiting while the ultra modern $150.00 a card flipper gets ushered to the front of the line. PSA is probably grading cards at these regional shows that were manufactured and printed after it received our submission. Think about that!
Hahaha, they don't give a shit about "true collectors", at the very best they care about $15 true-collector guy one tenth as much as they care about $150 card flipper guy.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:51 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Does anybody have any idea how many opinion givers work at everybody's favorite opinion seller?
Not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
isn't anybody curious about the time spent on an individual card? Time that changes the value of the card exponentially?
20-60 seconds would be my guess.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-17-2022, 08:33 PM
Johnny MaZilli

The Lottery Ticket Affect is Real….never down play that fact.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:46 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
PSA is probably grading cards at these regional shows that were manufactured and printed after it received our submission. Think about that!
Mind forever blown. Thanks for that.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.