NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default American Memorabilia Inc ???

Posted By: Dave Haas

Has anyone had any dealings with American Memorabilia auctions out of Las Vegas. I won an item in their last auction which upon arrival and inspection had a non disclosed defect. I am having trouble communicating with them and when you call their phone number it forwards you to voicemail. Are they OK to purchase from???

DH

Old 04-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Good luck with that. They are the absolute worst at returning phone calls, paying their consignors, and customer service in general (unless it is to collect a payment, in which case they are very prompt and "hands-on"). You may have to drive to Las Vegas to get resolution, which is what I once had to do (back in the days I actually dealt with them...)

How this outfit continues to attract bidders and consignors is beyond me, but they are somehow still around. I have heard that when people have threatened them with legal action, they tend to act a bit quicker, but would be interested to hear how it goes for you.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted...

Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

They have received a grade of F from the Better Business Bureau of Southern Nevada. I was an authenticator for them several years ago and can unpleasantly recall my experiences.
==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 04-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If you search on this board you will find some very unpleasant issues with this company. My only dealing with them was when they had some fake Headin' Home cards in their auction. I eventually talked to Victor (the owner)...he sent them to SGC and they agreed they were fake. They were highlighted on the back cover of their magazine.....To their credit they did pull the cards. The idiot consignor had come on this board saying we were all wrong and look at them on the cover and in auction...then they were pulled and the idiot never came back here. Go figure...

Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator

For what it's worth, I bought a KiKi Cuyler pro model bat from their auction a couple of years ago and was happy with the outcome.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

To your point, they do (amazingly) continue to get quality consignments and do feature high-end items. Their game-used Bats are accompanied by Mears and/or PSA Letters, and their autographed pieces are supported by PSA or JSA.

I have heard lots of complaints on the Game Used Forum, regarding some of the uniforms authenticated by Lou Lampson. But the majority are probably actually ok.

The multiple complaints more specifically concern their withholding of people's money, complete lack of communication, unreturned phone calls, length of time to pay consignors, multiple excuses (the check is in the mail, the winning bidder hasn't paid for the item, all sales are final, etc.)

I consigned them 2 pennants from Super Bowl 1, which they took the liberty to combine with a program and ticket (owned by someone else). They framed the entire ensemble (completely without my permission and unknown to me). When I didn't see my pennants in their auction, I asked about it, and they told me what they had done. Of course the framed group lot failed to sell, and I was never (ever) paid for the pennants.

Nor did I ever receive them back... It just became too much effort to try to reach them on the phone or get resolution... they did not want to break up the framed ensemble (which I'm sure cost them a lot to put together). After a dozen or so tries, I finally just gave up trying and learned a valuable $500 lesson.

AMI's customer service aspect is so bad that I know they've lost many bidders/consignors for life. But apparently their overall customer base is large enough that they continue to thrive.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Mark,

That simply is a jaw-dropping story.

The red flags that come to mind regarding their combining of items from different consignors into one lot are almost endless.

If you weren't the one telling this story, I'd have trouble believing it because it's such an absurd business practice.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Every word of it is true...

But I want to clarify that the Super Bowl 1 ticket and program (that were combined with my pennants in the large framed ensemble) may have been owned by AMI. I don't know whether they were the property of AMI or a different consignor.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Mark, you should contact the Better Business Bureau of Southern Nevada, at least get this on their record.
==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

How would one even known how the money should be split up in a multi-owner group lot?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Someone should start a sports auction licensing board.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

"I consigned them 2 pennants from Super Bowl 1, which they took the liberty to combine with a program and ticket (owned by someone else). They framed the entire ensemble (completely without my permission and unknown to me). When I didn't see my pennants in their auction, I asked about it, and they told me what they had done. Of course the framed group lot failed to sell, and I was never (ever) paid for the pennants.

Nor did I ever receive them back..."

blink

WTF?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Mark's is one of the weirdest hobby stories I've heard.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:05 AM
Administrator

If you go to the Game Used Forum, you'll find other "horror stories" from AMI consignors. Perhaps not as blatantly corrupt, but there are many...

The fact that they took the liberty to combine my consignments with other items (without my permission) is one thing. The fact that they kept those 2 Pennants without any compensation or even a return phone call is criminal. Can't think of any better word to describe it.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

They probably sold your pennants so they could finance this piece of crap video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO-svgrFmM0

Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

As Mark Perez fan says, the Game Used Forum indicates that there are lots of consignors dialing up lawyers regarding American Memorabilia. Plenty of complaints at other sites, too.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/american-memorabilia-a103960.html

Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Dan:
Thanks for sharing... I think?

Well then, at least the money was put to good use. Those stripper poles and leather outfits aren't cheap. A very tasteful sampling of Black Dog, as well... I'm sure Robert Plant and Jimmy Page would be honored, and very proud of that one.

Mark L:
Great post and link... many people have been taken to the cleaners by this outfit, and are much worse off than me. Glad to see there are well organized activities to circumvent their illegal use of peoples' funds.

ALL potential consignors should read the link you posted abaove... even if it only helps a few to go elsewhere to sell their stuff. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Haas

I guess I should just be happy to get the item I won, even with the defect.

DH