NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Show your Michael Jordan and ALL OTHER star company basketball cards

I am starting to add cards i have always wanted as a kid to my collection.

I am buying jordan 101 cards 7.5 and higher grades by bgs. Hit me up if you have any to sell. I will start the thread with one of my jordan star cards. I would love to see your collections.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordanstar101.jpg (79.0 KB, 740 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 06-24-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:35 AM
Phil Garry

Ben:

I had the same idea but last year before the price really spiked on the Star Jordan RC's. I have not been in a good cash position for a while now so couldn't make the pick-ups. As usual, I missed the boat, too late now............

Same thing happened with Giancarlo Stanton RC's a couple of years ago...........

The vintage baseball RC's that I was able to buy like Aaron, Mays, Clemente, etc. netted me zero in return. Go figure, right.............
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Ben:

I had the same idea but last year before the price really spiked on the Star Jordan RC's. I have not been in a good cash position for a while now so couldn't make the pick-ups. As usual, I missed the boat, too late now............

Same thing happened with Giancarlo Stanton RC's a couple of years ago...........

The vintage baseball RC's that I was able to buy like Aaron, Mays, Clemente, etc. netted me zero in return. Go figure, right.............
Yeah.. they have def gone up but I do not see them ever declining as they are RARE. Here is another I picked up. 1984-85 #195.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 195_mj_star_8.5.jpg (73.6 KB, 717 views)

Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 AM
Phil Garry

Definitely scarce, Ben. My biggest fear with them is the fact that the fakes of all Star Co. basketball cards produced were so good that both PSA and SGC have refused to grade these since Day 1. Even though Beckett has taken on the task in recent years, how many fakes do you think have slipped through the cracks and are in holders? My guess is a decent amount and if one of these ends up being a 9.5 Jordan RC and is discovered, the resulting news hitting the market could cause a big downturn in this issue overall IMHO.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Definitely scarce, Ben. My biggest fear with them is the fact that the fakes of all Star Co. basketball cards produced were so good that both PSA and SGC have refused to grade these since Day 1. Even though Beckett has taken on the task in recent years, how many fakes do you think have slipped through the cracks and are in holders? My guess is a decent amount and if one of these ends up being a 9.5 Jordan RC and is discovered, the resulting news hitting the market could cause a big downturn in this issue overall IMHO.
Phil, I understand what you are saying as I once had some of the same concerns.

Now, however, I believe there is a huge misconception about potential fakes of Star Company cards. Ck out the link. This is from Steve Taft. He is the #1 expert in Star cards. He trained Beckett, GAI, and SCD. He is the Steve Hart (unopened material), Lew Lipset (preWar cards), Paul Muchinsky (pinbacks), Henry Yee (photographs), Grad/Spence/Keurajian (autographs) of Star Co. cards from what I have gathered.

http://jordancards.com/blog/the-real...rt-steve-taft/

Old 04-12-2015, 12:31 PM
J@m1€ M©G0v€®n

Here are a few of mine. Nice to see some others - the centering is always tough on these issues, but the ones you've all posted above are some of the nicest I've seen.

- Jamie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mj star x.jpg (76.8 KB, 671 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default 288

Nice Jamie,

Here is my #288. This and the #195 are underrated I think as they are also from 1984 with a very low pop and both outside cards in bags.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 288_mj_8.5.jpg (67.6 KB, 660 views)

Old 04-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Underrated

This is, IMO, the most underrated card. It is obviously because it is oversized(5x7). However, its weakness also makes it great(more condition sensitive). It is also on the top of the bag and a very low pop. On top of that, it is probably the best image of all the Jordan star cards and thought to be his FIRST by some. It is 100 percent from 1984. I would buy BGS 9s all day long.
Thoughts??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg courtkings_mj_9.jpg (75.3 KB, 660 views)

Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Newest acquisition; 101 8.5 bgs

jordanstar101_8.5.jpgLove this one.

Last edited by Forever Young; 04-16-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 PM

Lite Beer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0095.jpg (70.1 KB, 587 views)
Old 02-14-2017, 04:10 PM

Any good place to look to get a good up to date sense of what the Star cards are worth?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 PM
D@V!D

Star cards have been fairly active on EBay in recent months and you can sort by completed sale for pricing. I follow these closely. If you are looking to buy and new to Star, buy cards in the BGS holder already until you have time to study up. The fakes are easy to tell if you take the time to learn and is worth the effort as the cards are beauties.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:15 PM
D@V!D

Here are two recent Jordan pickups. I have been wanting to get an Entenmann's Jordan for some time. The Star Jordan #117 is a beautiful 2nd year card. The Star Jordan was produced before the 1986 Fleer Jordan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img137.jpg (76.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I just picked up my first star jordans, the ten card subset from 86. All are Beckett 8's. I am very impressed by Becketts grading of these (love the sub grading) and will be on the lookout for others.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:47 PM
D@V!D

The Jordan 10 card subset is very underappreciated and a great place to start a Star basketball collection. You can still pick up BGS 9 cards from that subset for under $200 which is pretty astounding considering the limited print run on one of Jordan's earliest cards.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Alright, I'm late buying this, but it is still something I can easily flip down the line. It has two 9.5 sub-grades as well, which is cool.

I was actually going to purchase a BGS 8 at first, but when I saw that a 7.5 was going for $2000 - $2500 less, then I was like "screw that, I'll just go with the cheaper option!"

Now I think I will have to go after the other big rookies in this set - Barkley will probably be next. Oh, and I find it awesome that this set has the true John Stockton RC as well (he was excluded from the 1986 and 1987 Fleer sets).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 720135022.jpg (77.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 09-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Second year. I hope it's real LOL although I have it on pretty good assurance that it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan85.jpg (78.0 KB, 80 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Peter,

Nice card. If you have any concerns, then just email the scans to Steve Taft and ask him for his opinion. He was one of the original distributors of Star basketball cards back in the 1980s.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Peter,

Nice card. If you have any concerns, then just email the scans to Steve Taft and ask him for his opinion. He was one of the original distributors of Star basketball cards back in the 1980s.
Thanks. I got approval not from Steve but from another guy who is extremely knowledgeable about Star BKB. I don't entirely trust BGS due to seeing so many cards that look really short in their holders.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:06 AM
D@V!D

Samosa, that is a beautiful #101. Peter, your #117 is indeed legit and a 10 subgrade to boot definitely adds something extra.