NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default 1961 Bee Hive Starch

Posted By: Richard

Hey Everyone,

According to the 2006 SCD, Bee Hive Starch issued a 24-card set in 1961 featuring the Toronto Maple Leafs of the International League. The write-up in the article doesn't say much about the cards; it seems they are very difficult to find out anything about. Various search engines reveal next to nothing, I have yet to find anything on eBay, and the few Bee Hive hockey collectors I've talked to have never even heard of the set.

Any chance anyone here has some knowledge of it? Anyone own any cards (and have scans)?

Thanks!

Richard.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Hi Richard,

Here's a link to a site that you may want to contact.

http://www.beehivehockey.com/

Patrick

Old 03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for that link. I did actually contact the owner of that site some time ago. Surprisingly, he did not even konw that Bee-Hive baseball cards had ever been printed.

That being said, I did track down an old Lew Lipset auction that contained a photo of a BeeHive Baseball card: http://www.oldjudge.com/archive/200504/baseball/sets/91/

It turns out about half of the set was also auctioned off on eBay near the end of last year for between $20-30 a card. Other than that (and the checklist) I don't know much else, but I'm learning a bit.

Thanks again!

Richard.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Default Beehive

I have been a collector of Beehive items for many years. They are actually a promotional item from the St Lawrence Starch company form Port Credit Ontario. They did in fact have a Toronto Maple leaf Baseball premium offer as well. The reason they were call Beehives is due to the requirement to send in product labels or box tops to obtain these photos. The most common product that was sold was Beehive Corn Syrop...hence the name Beehives. They produced 3 groups of Hockey photos, Airplane photos during WW2 Royalty photos ie King Edward Princess Elizabeth and the Coronation. The Baseball items are indeed a rare item to have. I unfortunately have not been able to purchase any but they do pop up on E_Bay Canada occasionally. I would say they are pretty rare among card collectors because they are 1 year only issue, and Canadian. Check out this site for some of my beehive items http://www.vintagehockeycollection.com

Last edited by Billwinkle; 04-13-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: wasn't sure if I could put on my website
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Val Kehl

My lone example from my type-card collection. The back is blank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bee Hive Starch - Chakales.jpg (75.7 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by ValKehl; 04-17-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: To add info.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:36 AM

Default bee hives

I have a Pat Scantlebury Bee hive PSa 8 .....
the set is currently being sold on ebay by another seller
Old 03-18-2019, 05:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAMABASEBALL View Post
I have a Pat Scantlebury Bee hive PSa 8 .....
the set is currently being sold on ebay by another seller
I never heard of Bee Hive baseball cards/photos before and when doing a quick search, I came up empty.
I tried your card in a EBay search and came up with this, which is the only item showing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Maple-...EAAOSwyHJcjDaz

I assume Pat Scantlebury is the toughest one of the lot to get?

I have many Beehive hockey photos but no baseball ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnny Bower.jpg (12.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1655.jpg (68.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1635.jpg (76.3 KB, 86 views)