NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-18-2014, 03:21 AM

Default c1880 salesman sample outbid...let's see your salesman samples

photo PICT9060_zpscb501d8f.jpg
c1880 Silk Jockey Cap - 1 3/4" tall by 3 3/8" long by 2 1/2" wide

Got outbid yesterday on this c1880 salesman sample jockey cap on eBay...I've never owned a salesman sample before...and considering the horsey stuff I've gotten over the last year thought I'd try and add this...would have gone perfect with the die cut jockey cap card I got a while back...and the trotter clock...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ca1880-FANTA...p2047675.l2557
I hit it at $177.00 and got dusted in the backstretch...sold for $332.00...The seller happens to be a friend of mine and told me it sold to someone in France...I don't feel bad really, I'd sort of hate to have paid $177.00...$150.00 or below would have been more comfortable...Although...doubt I'll ever see another one!

photo sample-2g_zps63c8480b.jpg

photo sample-2h_zpse03abdcb.jpg

photo sample-2j_zpsdc4315b9.jpg

Below, previously picked up horse items

photo c1880JockeyCapCard2_zps27a7c705.jpg

photo c1880JockeyCapCardBACK_zps1001b108.jpg

photo 1_FullFront_zps33ef7fd2.jpg

photo 2_FullBack_zps5aa510a4.jpg

Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM
John Harrell

Here are a couple of salesman/store sample bats from the 1890's. First is a J.F Hillerich Crackerjack #2 bat (pre-1897) made of balsa and the second is an American bat company No. 89 also made of balsa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #5b.jpg (76.8 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg #5a.jpg (77.5 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg #135b.jpg (74.8 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg #135a.jpg (68.0 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by WWGjohn; 03-18-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Belltown Vintage

Wonder if anyone here collects miniature sports stuff, displaying it together.

It would be kind of cool to see a miniature hat, ball, glove, bat, baseball player doll - all early 1900's, together. You could use a large woodcut as a backdrop.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Wonder if anyone here collects miniature sports stuff, displaying it together.

It would be kind of cool to see a miniature hat, ball, glove, bat, baseball player doll - all early 1900's, together. You could use a large woodcut as a backdrop.
Kind of cool....and kind of expensive, I would bet.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Brock

Any chance the hat could just be a old dolls hat?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Any chance the hat could just be a old dolls hat?
Good question. I was thinking, why would they have a salesman sample of an item that isn't normally very large, heavy or bulky?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Clint

Here is my basketball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reachmini.jpg (25.9 KB, 347 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 AM
octavio ranzola

Default wow wee

carlton your the best very cool man
Old 03-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I'm not going to be popular

but I don't think the hat or the basketball are salesman's samples. I think one would need to see the manufacturer's full sized cap and attribution or other evidence to make such a leap. I thought doll's hat the moment I opened the thread. As for the basketball - typically the piece duplicates ALL of the originals characteristics - for one the lines/groves look to be applied on the surface. Maybe you were kidding. Just putting a couple thoughts out here - not an expert - just thinking out loud.............
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
but I don't think the hat or the basketball are salesman's samples. I think one would need to see the manufacturer's full sized cap and attribution or other evidence to make such a leap. I thought doll's hat the moment I opened the thread. As for the basketball - typically the piece duplicates ALL of the originals characteristics - for one the lines/groves look to be applied on the surface. Maybe you were kidding. Just putting a couple thoughts out here - not an expert - just thinking out loud.............
I agree, Salesman Sample is WAYYY overused. Typically Salesman Samples were for items large and heavy that were tough to transport - so hats etc would not need a "smaller" version to carry out. They may be promotional items or miniatures, but I just feel salesman sample tends to be used wrong and many times gets attributed to anything thats smaller or miniature with the original intended purpose of a salesman sample lost in the meantime...
Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwild22 View Post
I agree, Salesman Sample is WAYYY overused. Typically Salesman Samples were for items large and heavy that were tough to transport - so hats etc would not need a "smaller" version to carry out. They may be promotional items or miniatures, but I just feel salesman sample tends to be used wrong and many times gets attributed to anything thats smaller or miniature with the original intended purpose of a salesman sample lost in the meantime...
I saw a salesman sample road grader on Antiques Roadshow. Now, that's a salesman sample!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Clint

Well I guess it's took long enough to respond to this thread but I misplaced my basketball and just found it today.

What does salesmen sample mean? Something a salesman carried around to hawk their wares that was not necessarily duplicated in size. Does it have to be heavy or large to make transportation difficult? Imagine hauling around a bunch of full size basketballs, uniforms, shoes, and everything else you need to play basketball. Heck you probably are selling other sporting goods items too. It wouldn't take long to fill up your car. It would be much easier to have a case that had mini basketballs, a swatch catalog and even mini sneakers.

Yes there are souvenir mini bats, gloves and so on that are just that miniatures. But I have seen salesmen sample boxes that contained mini bats and baseballs sell at auctions so I don't think you can rule all of them out completely either.

As for my basketball I only showed one picture but will include a few others. The lines are actually grooves you can feel and should be able to pick up in the additional pictures. You can also make out the inflation hole and wording. I don't think I would inflate it to 7-9 pounds though. This was probably one of the first generation all rubber basketballs too.

Not everybody sold road graders, cars or stoves. I think applying the all samples need to be like these is crazy. Either way this is probably my favorite basketball item I own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5001451.JPG (53.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg S5001452.JPG (69.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg S5001457.jpg (15.8 KB, 140 views)
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 AM

Default Nice ball

Nice ball Clint...I think most salesman samples originally came in a custom box that protected it and kept it in pristine condition. I would imagine when a product like the jockey cap or your basketball or what ever was retired and discarded it could have ended up anywhere...such as a junk shop for instance...I can imagine a scenario where someone would buy it in a junk shop for their child...the child would play with it and eventually it would get separated from the box...The seller of the jockey cap also auctioned two other hats and some black rubber boots listed as salesman samples and none had a box, see below..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1870s-WIDE-B...item2ecf6e29ee

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1870s-FANTAS...item2ecf6e29d8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ca1880-FANTA...item4d19f1beaf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ca1900-PAIR-...item2ecf6e29b3

Old 03-31-2014, 03:35 AM

I have created a nice display professionally mounted in a shadow box. It features a wooden bat (about six inches in length), a mini ball, a catcher's mitt, a first baseman's mitt, and an infielder's mitt. I agree the term "salesman's sample" has been misused. Over the years some people have told me these types of mitts that hang as dangles beneath pinbacks as dangles were salesman's samples. They are just adornments. My mitts run about 5-6 inches and have high quality stitching. The final two items are the scarcest: a home plate (replete with the maker's name and address) and a catcher's mask. The only problem with the display is proportionality. The three different types of mitts are all bigger than the home plate.

It took me about 20 years to find all the pieces. If I ever learn how to connect a picture taken with a camera to an email, I will send it in.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 PM

Default Let's see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by springpin View Post
I have created a nice display professionally mounted in a shadow box. It features a wooden bat (about six inches in length), a mini ball, a catcher's mitt, a first baseman's mitt, and an infielder's mitt. I agree the term "salesman's sample" has been misused. Over the years some people have told me these types of mitts that hang as dangles beneath pinbacks as dangles were salesman's samples. They are just adornments. My mitts run about 5-6 inches and have high quality stitching. The final two items are the scarcest: a home plate (replete with the maker's name and address) and a catcher's mask. The only problem with the display is proportionality. The three different types of mitts are all bigger than the home plate.

It took me about 20 years to find all the pieces. If I ever learn how to connect a picture taken with a camera to an email, I will send it in.
springpin, Well you've got my curiosity up...Would like to see the ensemble...Especially the catchers mask...and the home plate...you say the home plate has a makers name and address...sounds like it could well indeed be a legit salesman sample...which would be very cool...twenty years putting it all together sounds very interesting.

When you say "a picture taken with a camera" are you speaking of a digital camera or old school with actual film? If old school you can take a photo of the photo with a digital camera and it can come out reasonably well...Either way sounds like you need to Google a tutorial on YouTube on how to do it...If I can help you're welcome to email or PM me thru this site...If you get hung up on anything I could even try to help you by phone.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Fwiw

I wasn't saying that either of the items shown aren't salesman samples. It's reasonable to think the basketball might be a salesman sample - but also that it might be a child's toy of some sort. Without something tying the item to the manufacturer it's a stretch. It does appear to replicate all of the original elements of Reach's BB.
The jockey cap is a good deal more problematic for me but still falling under the parameters outlined above. I'm not convinced a cap (it's no stovepipe or beaver hat which I have encountered as samples) would more likely be a sample than a doll hat without attribution. I would figure there would be discernable markings to be found - especially as the actual condition suggests such lettering wouldn't have worn away or been washed out. Additionally I'm not so sure about the excess of overly ornate "fixings" including the tassels would adorn an actual jockey's head. I will admit I'm usually more associated with the horse's ass than the jockey's cap............ I'm about to search the interweb for some pix of caps :-)
Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by springpin View Post

I'm pretty sure a smart, author and teacher such as yourself could be able to solve the intricacies of posting a picture.