NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Geddy Lee of RUSH Collects Baseball Memorabilia

On VH1 Classic last night, there was a show that premiered called Rock Icons. This episode was about Geddy Lee, bass player for RUSH. About 20+ minutes into it, he briefly shows off his baseball collection. Pretty cool stuff including single signed baseballs of HOF pitchers including a Christy Mathewson single signed ball. Take a look if interested. At the beginning you can also see him with some bats but it's just a quick shot. Pretty cool look into one of the top 2 rock bass players of all time (along with John Entwistle) in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 AM
octavio ranzola

Tony hi i saw this very cool love rush .
Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm listening to The Spirit of Radio as I'm posting.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:30 AM
Archive

Hi Tony

I saw this episode some time ago. As you said, it was interesting to see some of Geddy's collection.

"top 2 rock bass players of all time" - What, no love for Billy Sheehan?

Jantz
Old 02-22-2015, 09:38 AM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Hi Tony

I saw this episode some time ago. As you said, it was interesting to see some of Geddy's collection.

"top 2 rock bass players of all time" - What, no love for Billy Sheehan?

Jantz

He's very good, but not in the same upper echelon with those 2. Most people don't know who he is and that sure doesn't help!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Years ago Lee and I went head-to-head on two huge lots of Negro Lg signed baseballs. We each won one. He donated his to the NL museum in KC. While I always thought that was cool, I'm pretty surprised he wouldn't have gone higher on the lot I won, since I'm pretty sure a superstar musician has deeper pockets than an elementary school teacher!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Barry Arnold

Default rush

very interesting,Tony.
thanks for sharing!!!
all the best,
barry
Old 02-22-2015, 10:29 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

He's a regular at Blue Jays games....sits right behind the plate.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM

Default I saw rush....

seven times....one of my fav bands of all time....besides police ....ect....

Last edited by mrvster; 02-22-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
seven times....one of my fav bands of all time....besides police ....ect....
By far Rush is my favorite......seen them half a dozen times myself
Old 02-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Josh

Here is a video that features his collection off of their documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage." (Skip to about 2:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7tsXHkLf9w

Looking forward to seeing them this summer.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Michael Osacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
He's a regular at Blue Jays games....sits right behind the plate.
I have seen him behind home plate.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:23 PM

What about Flea? On the All-Star team, I'd put Entwistle at 1st bass and Fea at 2cnd bass.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:16 PM

AweSoMe ToPiC!!! Didn't know about Mr Lee and His Collection...
"WoW", Christy Mathewson Auto Ball? He Definitely Moves Up the Scale of,
"Who's the All Time Greatest Base Player's"...

However, (& Not ta Boast) I've Seen Them All...
And iN My Humble Opinion, Mr. Stanley Clark was the Best of the BEST!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Years ago Lee and I went head-to-head on two huge lots of Negro Lg signed baseballs. We each won one. He donated his to the NL museum in KC. While I always thought that was cool, I'm pretty surprised he wouldn't have gone higher on the lot I won, since I'm pretty sure a superstar musician has deeper pockets than an elementary school teacher!

Love that museum. The gentleman that I worked with gave me permission to use images as a baseball card promo giveaway that I designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM

It's nice to see so many Rush fans here. It seems like they're more popular than ever, 40 years and going strong. I see parents bringing their kids to shows -- entire families -- so the appeal has spanned generations.

Here's the story that Ken referred to about the Negro League Museum donation from Geddy and a photo of the collection.

On a related note, a fan made some cool Rush virtual trading cards, similar to what Topps might have produced for a Rush card set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2168042_orig.jpg (59.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg geddy.jpg (61.2 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of 3_dvd.jpg (54.6 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of 4dvd.jpg (46.6 KB, 303 views)
Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM
H Murphy

Default 2112

"What can this strange device be, when I touch it it gives forth a sound"..........
Old 02-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Jason Albregts

I can't wait until May to catch Rush's 40th anniversary tour. Though John Entwistle has crossed over, I'll have the privilege of seeing The Who a little earlier that week. The month of may will be epic
Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Tony Quinn

See them while you can. Geddy said on That Metal Show last night he won't say this tour is a "farewell" tour but it will be quite awhile before the next one. He said Neal doesn't want to tour anymore (in different words). On another note, I saw RUSH in the mid 80's with strep throat and a 104 degree temperature. The next morning I was fine. Not to say it was magic but that show was magical!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I too have sent that in the past. Rush is the best and put on a great concert. The timing those guys have is incredible. True perfectionists. Glad to see everyone has good taste.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Funny to see a Rush thread here. I was just watching this the other day. I went to high school (and college actually, but I wasn't at the party they describe) with these guys.

http://teamcoco.com/video/jay-and-mark-duplass-air-drum
Old 02-22-2015, 11:30 PM
Bill Gregory

Love love love love Rush! I've seen them three times in concert, have seven of their CDs (I had all of their albums on cassette; I've just been lazy replacing the others, as I usually listen to them online). I have their Rush In Rio 2 disc set on DVD, and Clockwork Angels Tour on Blu Ray.

I'm a guitarist myself, and Alex Leifson is one of my biggest musical influences. His playing style, including his use of wide arpeggios, was instrumental in developing my own style. I incorporate a lot of Leifson, David Gilmour, and John Petrucci into my improvs at home.

Geddy Lee is, of course, the human oompa loompa machine. When you consider the wall of sound that Rush puts out, so much of that is due to Geddy. His voice is instantly recognizable, though his range has lessened somehwhat in recent years. But he's just a spectacular bassist. Then, he plays keyboards, and the Moog Taurus peddals. And, of course, when Alex and Neil are doing their solos, he's off on the side of the stage feeding fans rotisserie chicken, and helping them with their laundry, too. Talk about going all out for the fan!

Then, there's Neil Peart. If he's not the greatest living rock percussionist, he's pretty damned close. He is at the very pinnacle of rock drummers. There are few I'd put in the same category..maybe Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree. The reason it's so hard to put other people in the same category is that he's not only a brilliant technical drummer, but his feel is incredible, and he can play so many different kinds of music. I love watching him with a big band, like when he's doing a Buddy Rich tribute. Besides his drumming, he's the best lyricist in rock and roll. My parents had Bob Dylan. I have Peart. That's all I need to say.

When you put these three men together, the result is magical. I was born in late 1971. This trio has been together since I was three years old! They've gone through some real tragedy, and yet, they keep chugging on. And the Rush fan base is fanatical for a reason. We love everything they do. Everything. Blah blah, blah blah blah.

Blah Blah? Blah blah blah! LOL

By the way, I knew Geddy loved baseball from reading Rush album liner notes. I didn't know he was that big into the game's history, though. So cool!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 02-23-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Rush

All this RUSH talk makes me remember a movie I saw that I was not thrilled to see but it quickly grew on me called: I Love You man.

If you are a true RUSH fan then you HAVE to see this movie. Its a good one with some serious and surprise RUSH content throughout.

Peace, Mike
Old 02-23-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
See them while you can. Geddy said on That Metal Show last night he won't say this tour is a "farewell" tour but it will be quite awhile before the next one. He said Neal doesn't want to tour anymore (in different words).
If Neil doesn't want to tour anymore, maybe Geddy & Alex can get this kid to fill in:

http://youtu.be/QgQXJ5IZ-2M

Last edited by Tom S.; 02-23-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Duane Clark

It is awesome to find out that there are so many Rush fans on Net54. Rush is my favorite band and has been since my freshman year in college, circa 1980. Rush has never received the accolades they truly deserve. Neil's incredible drumming and lyrics, Geddy's ability to shred the bass and Alex's guitar playing are amazing. If you knew nothing about Rush and listened to a song you would swear there were 5-6 people in the group. I knew about Geddy's love of baseball and that he had an incredible memorabilia collection. My favorite album is Permanent Waves. Entre Nous and Natural Science are great songs on that album that you rarely hear on the radio or at a concert. Give them a listen. I cannot wait to see them this summer which could be their last tour(say it ain't so). One more album would be awesome. Looking forward to more posts about Rush.

Duane Clark
Old 02-23-2015, 09:48 PM

Didnt know that many Metal fans in the net54 gang. I saw them 3 times also all at the great HOLLYWOOD SPORTATORIUM in the middle of nowhere, broward county Florida, from 1980 through 1983.......Van Halen, ACDC, Foreigner, among others.
What a great time to grow up. Smell of pot strangling you the minute you walked through the doors. The horrendous parking.......the guy selling Jethro Tull concert shirts scared as we were crowding him..........and a fave:GTR at the Sunrise Musical Theatre with Steve Hacket and Howe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTR_promo.jpg (6.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Justin

Nice. Another long time Rush fan/bass player here. I first saw them about 25 years ago at Irvine Meadows. Hope to catch them on this tour.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 PM
Bill Cohon

I'm awfully partial to Phil Lesh.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 AM

I love Rush too. I have been a fan since about 1975, and it is cool to see how many fans they have here. Not only is Geddy a collector, but there is an interview I saw where he talks about fantasy baseball, and the long time league he's been in.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.