NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Luke Lyon

Default Normal color variance, or missing color pass?

I picked up the Jordan portrait on the right because I thought the color looked odd, and the price was fair. I figured it might just be the scan, but it is in fact much lighter than others I have seen. I know there can be a decent amount of variance in shades. Griffith portrait for instance can vary from light orange to almost red. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jordan comparison.jpg (78.0 KB, 238 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 04:50 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

I think its a little light as compared to the card on the left, nothing special in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:34 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Hi Luke,

I agree with Rob, you will see shade variations in most T206's when you put
a group of them together and the light blues are one of the colors that stand
out the most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ball%201_1_1.jpg (87.8 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg Crandall%201_1_1.jpg (85.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Durham%20Group.jpg (82.4 KB, 207 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

But, look at the shoulder area on the left of the card. The right card has no blue there. And the background to me looks lighter - I think because the light blue is missing from under the darker blue.

The face may also be missing peach/tan

One of the things I have come to look for on a missing color T206 is two colors missing. Nearly all the ones I think are not from either printing problems, fading or a changed design are missing two colors at least.

That's one of the bits that also makes me think they were done on two color presses.

Steve B
Old 09-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Luke Lyon

Thanks Steve. At first I noticed the very light blue, but then I noticed that his face seemed to be missing color as well. You explained what I thought I was seeing really well. Much appreciated!

If you come back to the thread:

How common/uncommon are cards like this? Did if occur more often in the earlier print groups, or is the distribution pretty linear?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Nice thread, often it looks like a "detail/shading" layer is missing on the P150s.

It's odd that Jordan is often found miscut, like the green Cobbs.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:51 AM

Hey Chris,
I have lots of funky Jordan's... Here are a couple

Hope you are well Brian

Last edited by Brian Weisner; 09-06-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
Thanks Steve. At first I noticed the very light blue, but then I noticed that his face seemed to be missing color as well. You explained what I thought I was seeing really well. Much appreciated!

If you come back to the thread:

How common/uncommon are cards like this? Did if occur more often in the earlier print groups, or is the distribution pretty linear?
Anytime.

They're not all that common, but they don't get as much attention as the more spectacular ones.

I have a Beck SC350 that's missing pink and gray
And two odd ones, Wiltse portrait and Huggins that seem to be missing pink and maybe another color but it's harder to tell. Both 350s. It gives them a very washed out look.

There's a few 350's that look odd like that.

Adding to the problem of picking them out are the 350's that apparently are missing red deliberately. Dygert comes with and without a sort of lipstick look. Neither is at all hard to find. And I'm sure there are others.

I don't have much info about whether they're tougher for any particular print group. I'd have to think they're a bit easier for the 350's since there are so many 350's overall.

Steve B