NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default CDV Identification Help Needed

Posted By: Jason

Hi Guys,

I need a little help on this one. My expertise only really extends to about 1870 so I am a little stuck with this later CDV.

I think the guy in the baseball uniform could be Patsy Cahill (See tintype from Seth’s 19thcenturyonly auction form last year) but I am not sure who the other 8 are. All the gentlemen in the middle row look familiar but then again my eyes could be deceiving me.

Please also note the guy in the top row displaying his uniform under his jacket. The crest looks similar to the 1867 Troy Haymakers stars & stripes emblem but is several years too late for it to be them. The CDV however, does come from the NY area.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Jason

Old 02-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Hi Jason,

Very interesting image.
The striped socks and the hat the uniformed player is wearing were mostly used in the 1870's as you correctly said.
Carte mount style + imprint style are about 1872 or after.
Don't have a clue on the crest under the jacket... again, very interesting.
I'll give it a try later using some images from my archives and see what I can find.

Jimmy

Old 02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pete Z.

Can I ask what you paid/range for the tintype with the dog? Tintypes, dags, ambros, cases, and photos that feature dogs, are what my wife is into collecting these days. Something like that would be the perfect crossover item between her and my hobbies.

A guy at the Chantilly show a few weeks ago had an OJ with a dog, not badly trimmed, and he still wanted 1200.
Thanks.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

When do you think you'll get your site up and running? I've been looking forward to seeing it.

Rob M.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Sell Pete the Dog!!!

His story brings a tear to my eyes!!

Old 02-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jason,
Neat image, but as was expressed on the board, later than the 1867 Haymaker image (I owned the six at one point, and they are beautiful); why are eight guys in suits and one in uniform, and one guy in suit has it open to show the crest? Very strange. Might be tough to i.d- no face jumps out at me and lack of a clear uniform makes it tough. Jaime is correct that it looks early seventies.I'll look at this image again and see if any ideas come up. With nine guys and one in uniform, safe to say it is baseball. I know that doesn't help, but it's a start. Can't say for sure that it matches the tintype, though. Hmm.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the help gents! I of course would appreciate it if you could keep your thinking caps on.

Pete – I think that Patsy Cahill tintype went for around $2200 and unfortunately I am not the owner.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

It really is a nice image. All I can do is speak to the Troy/Lansingburgh reference. I recognize none of the players from any of the local Troy/Lansingburgh clubs of the 1860s through the 1880s. I probably haven't seen as many local club images as Barry, but I have seen a lot of them. I can tell you, however, that the crest you pointed out was popular among clubs in this part of NYS in the late 1860s and 1870s. I've seen something similiar on at least two other team images. I'll see if I can locate those in my database.

That particular troy CDV is of the young pitcher Andrew McQuade; I know this not only from Rucker's designation, but because I've seen an 1866 team image with the names engraved into the matting. I'm curious why this image is always dated 1867--McQuade was killed in November of 1866. He was hit by a train while he sat in his coach on an Albany crossing. So even if the final was produced in 1867, the image was shot no later than November 1866.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Hi Rob,

Website project will have to wait at least for now.
My wife gave birth to our second son 2 months ago and you can imagine how hard is to have a 21 month old kid and a newborn at the same time... wow!

How are those Kearsarge cabinets doing?

Old 02-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Administrator

The Kearsarge images are doing fine but would like some company. Jason W. and others are making it difficult though! You might have to unload a few images to pay for those diapers huh??

Old 02-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Hey Rob- I'm hoping you are not planning to break up the Kearsarge group and that you keep them together. They were originally found by my dear friend Walter Handelman, who passed away this past September. I bought them from him and eventually auctioned them off. In his memory, please keep them together (they are yours to do as you wish, this is just a plea). Thanks, Barry

Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Administrator

As I've mentioned before, they will NOT be broken up under my watch!

Rob M.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Administrator

That's the spirit!

Old 02-27-2005, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Barry,

Do you still have any of the Haymaker CDVs in your possession? Is there any chance of you sharing any more of your early images with us?

Old 02-27-2005, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Hi Jason,
I auctioned all six Haymakers as one lot several years ago, but saved color photocopies of them all. I'm happy to share all my images- they are no secret- but I pretty much sold everything from my collection save a few display pieces and a few of my rare books. But I have a big library of photocopies. The problem is my abominable computer skills. I don't know how to scan, and while my wife does it for me, neither of us have figured out how to post scans on this site. I usually just make color photocopies for people and mail them out. I can do that for you; I guess it would entail some expenses, though it would be nominal. Is there anything in particular you would like to see?

Old 02-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Administrator

If you happen to want to email me your Haymaker scans I can post them.

Rob M.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler (woo woo) of the Base Ball CDV has the scans on his site: http://www.theruckerarchive.com Just click search and type in "Troy". Apart from these six (Abrams, Craver, King, McAtee, McKeon and McQuade), has anyone ever seen other Haymaker CDVs from this period? I've seen full team images of both the 1866 and 1867 Haymakers, but only these six CDVs. I assume these belonged to Barry at one time (?), as I've never heard of another set. When and where did you put your cdvs up for auction, Barry?

Old 02-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

It was my first auction after breaking up my partnership with Jerry Smolin, in Nov. 2001. It was in SCD and went out to my mailing list at that time. I offered them as a group and they sold for just a shade below 12K.

Old 02-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramramram

For those who want quicker access to the photos...here are some images Barry passed on for posting. 1867 Haymaker cdv's with a sample of the back. The last photo is of the 1861 Atlantics.

Rob M.

Old 02-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Rob- Thanks for donating your time to a cause as worthy as the computer challenged.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all the effort guys! Sorry I didn't respond yesterday but I was away! I wish I could get my hands on those Haymakers!