NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM

I have to agree that Bulkeley is the worst choice. Second place would go to Tommy McCarthy. After that, it would be a tough race including guys like Jesse Haines, Eppa Rixey, Harry Hooper, Rick Ferrell, Bid McPhee, and Red Schoendienst. I've also heard plenty of criticism of Effa Manley's selection, but don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion.

I have to disagree on Ozzie Smith and Bill Mazeroski. Both are regarded by many as the best defensive player at their position ever. They are similar to Brooks Robinson in this regard.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Jason Presley

In the early days of the Hall, there was virtually no threshold a person had to surpass to be elected. As a result, loads of people got in that probably shouldn't have. If there were a retroactive purge, I imagine a good 12-15 players would probably not make the cut based on just the 10-year active playing time requirement.

Something that stood out to me in all those BR comparison charts was why hasn't there been much talk about Cecil Cooper? He's right there in the thick of almost all of those lists amid 6 or 7 inductees. I have to think if he'd had some sort of last stretch media campaign like Dawson or Rice got, he'd be in. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him inducted by the veterans committee.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:06 AM
Bill Gregory

Coop was one of my favorite players as a kid. He could flat out rake, and he was a hell of a defensive first baseman.

The sad thing is Boston never really played him that much. It took his moving to Milwaukee to become a full time player...at age 27.

He had a great 7 year prime. Between 1977 and 1983, his 162 game averages: .316 AVG, 99 runs, 206 hits, 40 doubles, 26 HR, 109 RBI. .858 OPS.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:09 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I have to agree that Bulkeley is the worst choice. Second place would go to Tommy McCarthy. After that, it would be a tough race including guys like Jesse Haines, Eppa Rixey, Harry Hooper, Rick Ferrell, Bid McPhee, and Red Schoendienst. I've also heard plenty of criticism of Effa Manley's selection, but don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion.

I have to disagree on Ozzie Smith and Bill Mazeroski. Both are regarded by many as the best defensive player at their position ever. They are similar to Brooks Robinson in this regard.
I don't understand how you could say that about Schoendienst. Sure he is now in as a player, but the man has been a part of the game for 69 years (as a Player, Coach and Manager). His career in baseball is astounding. Also he was a dominant player at his position throughout his career, having been elected to 10 all-star games.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Bill Gregory

I have to agree about Schoendienst. I think he's actually a little underrated as far as Hall of Fame second basemen are concerned.

Between 1945 and 1957, his 162 game averages were outstanding at the keystone:

.291 AVG, 98 runs, 192 hits, 34 doubles, 7 triples, 7 home runs, 62 RBI.

People will look at his .732 OPS, and say he wasn't a producer. I disagree. I think that OPS can be a little overused. Red wasn't a power hitter, but he brought a lot of value. He was a very good hitter. Not a lot of power or speed. But he got on base. And he didn't strike out at all. Great teams need guys that will get on base, and keep the offense moving. He did that. When he came to the plate, you knew he was going to have a solid at bat. If he didn't get a hit, or a walk, his out was going to be productive if somebody was on. How anybody can play in 2,216 games, and only strike out 346 times in 9,224 plate appearances, is mind boggling.

He was the final piece of the puzzle for the 1957 Braves team that won the World Series. He came over from the Giants, and just rocked. He played 93 games for us in from mid June on, hitting .310 with a .348 OBP. And he only struck out 7 times in 426 plate appearances. He ended up leading the NL with 210 hits that year.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.