NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Hi Caprice

This collection is just like my first childhood collection except yours has so many doubles! I hope you're still reading these posts as your participation in the hobby with submissions et. al. on your Dad's behalf is fantastic and I want the story to continue. My Dad collected as a kid in the early 50's and Gramma chucked all his stuff into oblivion. For some odd reason his 1953 Tarzan3D She Devil set survived. I finished the set and will never sell it.

Thank you for sharing everything. The notebook with the stickers took my breath away. Wonderful.

Scott
Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 PM

Thanks again to all the members of this board who have taken their time to help me learn more about the hobby. It's been an interesting ride thus far.

Is there a recommend way of scanning cards? I assume I will have to take them out of their card savers to scan but I'm a bit wary of damaging them in the process.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:58 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricesquad View Post
Thanks again to all the members of this board who have taken their time to help me learn more about the hobby. It's been an interesting ride thus far.

Is there a recommend way of scanning cards? I assume I will have to take them out of their card savers to scan but I'm a bit wary of damaging them in the process.
It's not necessary. All my cards in my links below were taken in top loaders or the PSA/SGC graded slabs.

Out of the loaders would likely make for better pics but like you said, it is not worth taking the chance on.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:07 PM

I threw a few Commons on ebay to get a handle on the selling end of things. I got burned trying to sell a truck for what I thought was a friend a few years back and haven't sold anything since.

If you see any 1963 Post commons that link to this thread that is me.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
I threw a few Commons on ebay to get a handle on the selling end of things. I got burned trying to sell a truck for what I thought was a friend a few years back and haven't sold anything since.

Cool; I'll take a look. Good luck!
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:27 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

I forgot to mention in my previous thread, when scanning cards, do so with the lid open and the lights off. I learned this trick from another member and I am glad I did. The extra detail is worth it, plus, imo, it makes the cards look better.

When you get a chance, post a E-Bay link to your cards.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:39 PM

Default Selling Thoughts

Sorry if you already know this, but just in case.

On eBay you can see what previous cards have sold for over the last three months in order to get a rough estimate of the going eBay price. Click on the "advanced" button to the right of the search button and click the "sold listings" box. If a price has a line through it then the seller and buyer agreed on a price. To find that price, click on the listing and copy the eBay item number which is about 12 numbers long on the right side, part way down the page. Then go to watchcount.com, paste the number in the Keywords box and click "Show me what's most popular".

What most members would like to see happen is for you to list your cards here for slightly less than the eBay going price. However, you would still make more money through a private sale since you won't pay the eBay 10% fee and possibly PayPal's 2.9% +.30 if you use the Friends and Family (F/F) option. Depending on the price, the buyer may elect not use the F/F option since the buyer has no recourse if something goes wrong with the transaction and just ask you to send him an invoice via PayPal.

I just learned all this a few months ago as I'm trying to get back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus. There are many a folk here that know more than me and probably PM'd you with advice, but it sounds like you've done your research. I would hate for you to get cheated on your Dad's collection. We all look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
I'm not sure I know enough about grading to sell the cards over the internet here. I feel like posting clear scans on ebay would be the best route rather than guess the condition and sell someone on here a card that ends up being not as nice as they expected due to my eye for cards not being the greatest.

Probably be a long term process but I'm not really in a hurry and I'll get an excuse to spend more time with my dad anyways.
Most collectors on Net54 are rather experienced at buying and selling, which I gather you are getting. Most will work with you on a BST sale as we all know about this thread! That means you will more than likely get a good price at minimal cost AND RISK to you. There are threads here over and over talking about how eBay can be....not very good in dealing with unscrupulous buyers, in your case, who may try and take advantage of a new seller (never got the card, want my money back, changed my mind, not paying) or ANY seller, and leave you with no recourse. That is much less likely here. Have you met and/or talked with Leon? He is a great resource and is another person who will have your, and Net54's back.

As far as condition, clear scans go a long way for a seller and buyer. The one comment I would make may be a card with a wrinkle, loss of paper or such that is not clearly seen on a scan. In my case I am targeting ungraded cards for my postwar collection, for the most part. A clear scan and honest seller goes a long way with many of us. You'll get all kinds here, graded card, ungraded card, green tint collectors, Bazooka and Post collectors, guys chasing Exhibits, and of course player collectors ( I am a Clemente guy!). Dealers, too. BTW, ALL and I mean ALL of my transactions on Net54 have been positive, including a few that ended up going sideways (keep in touch, talk, it'll all work out is my attitude, and they have). My negative experiences have all been on eBay, but that is just me.

Maybe try the BS&T and eBay. Many sellers try a sale here and then move to eBay if a card gets no action. Costs you nothing but time and effort on the BST.

Guess this is my way of saying I hope this all goes well for you and your Dad! Have fun!

Keith
...whatever I want

Last edited by drmondobueno; 11-11-2016 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Sssspelingh