NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Al Richter

Default Movie

Life With Father....Downton Abby NY style ..1947 --William Powell, Irene Dunne, Martin Milner, Edmund Gwenn and Elizabeth Taylor. Every father who thinks himself the head of the household should see it.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Life With Father....Downton Abby NY style ..1947 --William Powell, Irene Dunne, Martin Milner, Edmund Gwenn and Elizabeth Taylor. Every father who thinks himself the head of the household should see it.
I've heard of it, but never seen it. Was the TV show " Father Knows Best" taken from this movie?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I've heard of it, but never seen it. Was the TV show " Father Knows Best" taken from this movie?
"Father knows best " was a radio program that Robert Young transitioned to TV.
NO IM NOT THAT OLD...I just listen to Radio Classics on SiriusFM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieFingers View Post

Ahhhh " Rollerball"- saw it in the theater when it came out
Old 06-09-2016, 08:24 PM
Archive

Since no one has mentioned them yet, I'll throw in these two movies.

Frailty

Valhalla Rising

Both have interesting storylines.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:59 AM
ThreadKiller

Default ...

[/QUOTE]

one of the most f***ed up "shock value" movies I recall renting from Tower Records in the early 1980's.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:26 AM

This one is an obscure one and may be hard to find, but if you can track it down do yourself a favor and watch WAKE IN FRIGHT. 70s Australian movie set in the outback. A school teacher on his way to the big city for vacation gets stranded in the "Yabba" when his train breaks down. From there he gets into it with locals and eventually is nearly driven mad by how harsh the people and land is in the outback. There is a classic and controversial scene where the director films an actual Kangaroo hunt to demonstrate how barbaric the pastime was.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:49 AM
H Murphy

Default weekend viewing

A couple more flix worth a shot, Lock Stock and Both Smoking Barrels, The Boondock Saints, House of Games.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Al Richter

Default Movie

A Boy and His Dog

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...usieoIv2JraQQ-
Old 06-11-2016, 02:26 PM
T0dd M@rcum

A couple of under appreciated Netflix gems are:

1) Odd Thomas. A lawsuit twarted its wide release, but it has big stars and big effects. You are possibly familiar with the book by Dean Koontz

2) Dale and Tucker vs. Evil. Just your typical buddy movie love story slasher film adventure comedy.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Arnie

You guys want some good horror, real horror with great gore? Try:

Inside
Frontiers
Martyrs
Grotesque
Captivity
Old 06-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Richard Simon

Paths of Glory - great anti-war movie
The Mouse That Roared - classic satire with the great Peter Sellers
Man On The Moon - bio pic of Andy Kaufman with a fantastic Jim Carrey
Radio Days - one of Woody Allen's best
Parenthood - Steve Martin and Jason Robards one of the best father/son duos in film
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-13-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
It is a great "movie" but unfortunately nowhere close to historically accurate. That bothers me when something is portrayed as historical and is almost completely fictional. I talked to Paul Blair and Clete Boyer about the movie and both guys thought it was terrible because it was so far off of reality. In fact, Boyer was downright mad by the time he got done telling me all the things he didn't like about it.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've always said that *61 was not very accurate. In fact even the title is inaccurate. There was NEVER an asterisk, and I would like to know how this myth ever started.

But anywho, here is my list of ten movies that, while not completely obscure and maybe only shown one time, are not widely known or frequently shown:

Water (From India directed by Deepa Mehta)
One-Two-Three
Above Suspicion
The Boys in Company C
Head
The Swimmer
Stage Door
The Palm Beach Story
You Can't Take it With You
Hell's Angels
Old 06-14-2016, 03:32 AM
Bill Gregory

Firstly, I don't think the movie was implying that there had, indeed, been an asterisk in the record books. More, I think the title is a nod to the debate that raged about how the record should be handled. For nearly fifty years, there were two entries in the official Major League record book for home runs in a single season: one listing Babe Ruth's 60 in 154 games in 1927, and a second entry listing Roger Maris' 61 in 162 games in 1961.

As to the genesis of the myth, you can thank the Commissioner of Baseball at the time, Ford Frick:

Quote:
'Any player who has hit more than 60 home runs during his club's first 154 games would be recognized as having established a new record. However, if the player does not hit more than 60 until after this club has played 154 games, there would have to be some distinctive mark on the record books to show that Babe Ruth's record was set under a 154-game schedule.'"
This was a statement of opinion. The "distinctive mark" never appeared in the record books, but it's easy to understand why people might assume it had. This happens all the time. Popular culture would have you believe the line, "play it again, Sam" came from Casablanca, that the correct line from All About Eve was "buckle up, its going to be a bumpy ride", or that Cary Grant famously quipped "Judy, Judy, Judy".

Once something is entered into the popular lexicon, accurate, completely made up, or not, there it will stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgonyandIvy View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've always said that *61 was not very accurate. In fact even the title is inaccurate. There was NEVER an asterisk, and I would like to know how this myth ever started.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:29 PM

Default Sorry I'm late to the party....--

.."The Bad Lieutenant;Port Of Call "-Cage should be dipped in bronze for his performance

..."Breaking Away"---brilliant 'little' movie

..."Oh, What A lovely War" -so overlooked on this side of the pond; shame , that.

.."Hard Candy"--ummm---maybe not for everyone but a good flick

.."The Boy With Green Hair"---will stay with you

.."The Sergeant"---- Whew , Rod Steiger...whew

.."The Kiss Of The Spider Woman"--best cast EVER

..''The Dogs Of War"----Walken --wow,just "wow"

.."Topper"--the old original black and white one; look at Cary Grant's car....
Old 08-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Nick Barnes

ten movies I love many of you have never seen?

Dead Man - incredible black and white photography and philosophical storyline

Ikiru- everyone knows seven samurai and yojimbo, but this might be Kurosawa's best film

Ex-Machina- maybe the best film of last year and one of the most original scifi films in a long time

Juggernaut- 1970's Richard Harris stars in this great thriller about bombs aboard an ocean liner

Time Bandits- Terry Gilliam at the top of his game making odd, yet fun films

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone- total 80's space movie cheese, yet strangely delicious and satisfying cheese

Bubba Ho-Tep-an old Elvis and JFK fight an ancient mummy sucking the souls of the members of their retirement home. yep (see it for Bruce Campbell as Elvis and Ossie Davis as JFK)

Beyond the Black Rainbow- it takes me back to those weird psychedelic films of the late 60's early 70's where you don't really know what's going on but the mix of film and music are hypnotic

Colossus: The Forbin Project- The first "computer takes over the world" movie, really great hard sci-fi that obviously influenced The Terminator

Session 9 - very spooky movie from around 20 years back that somehow pulls off creepy without slamming weird visuals or gore at you every 5 seconds
Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
ten movies I love many of you have never seen?

Dead Man - incredible black and white photography and philosophical storyline

Ikiru- everyone knows seven samurai and yojimbo, but this might be Kurosawa's best film

Ex-Machina- maybe the best film of last year and one of the most original scifi films in a long time

Juggernaut- 1970's Richard Harris stars in this great thriller about bombs aboard an ocean liner

Time Bandits- Terry Gilliam at the top of his game making odd, yet fun films

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone- total 80's space movie cheese, yet strangely delicious and satisfying cheese

Bubba Ho-Tep-an old Elvis and JFK fight an ancient mummy sucking the souls of the members of their retirement home. yep (see it for Bruce Campbell as Elvis and Ossie Davis as JFK)

Beyond the Black Rainbow- it takes me back to those weird psychedelic films of the late 60's early 70's where you don't really know what's going on but the mix of film and music are hypnotic

Colossus: The Forbin Project- The first "computer takes over the world" movie, really great hard sci-fi that obviously influenced The Terminator

Session 9 - very spooky movie from around 20 years back that somehow pulls off creepy without slamming weird visuals or gore at you every 5 seconds

I marked the three I have seen in BOLD:

Dead Man is awesome (Iggy Pop in a dress!)

Colossus: The Forbin Project - I saw it again a few years ago...and it was still effective and enjoyable - truly before it's time.

Time Bandits - I loved it, but have not seen it in years...sometimes when I wait too long, my individual taste has changed and I don't enjoy it as much...but, this IS Terry Gilliam - so I'll try.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-20-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:12 PM
Bill Gregory

Some other favorites:

On the Waterfront-Kazan and Brando. Nothing more need be said.
Rififi-the twenty + minute heist is one of the greatest scenes in cinematic history.
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof-Newman, Taylor and Ives are as formidable a threesome as you'll see in the 50s.
Brooklyn-Saoirse Ronan is a revelation, a fantastic actress with a bright future; the story is simple, yet gripping.
Persona-another masterwork from Ingmar Bergman, and one of my personal favorites.
Libeled Lady-by this point in her career, Jean Harlow's comedic sense is virtually unparalleled (save for Carole Lombard). A wonderful screwball comedy with a great cast, and Harlow is absolutely magnetic.
Double Indemnity-if somebody held a gun to my head, and asked me to pick a favorite noir film, I'd have a hard time not picking this gem. MacMurray and Robinson are great, but this is Barbara Stanwyck's film. She is the quintessence of the femme fatale. Maybe the greatest performance of, perhaps, Hollywood's most versatile actresses.
Tokyo Story-the film that served as my introduction to Yasujirô Ozu. Some sixty years after it was shot, Ozu's wonderful drama about the post WWII family dynamic still casts a huge shadow. A must see for every film enthusiast. Just beautifully done.

And, my favorite two films of the new millennium...

Mulholland Drive-David Lynch's magnum opus. A veritable textbook on how non-linear timelines can be handled in film. See it once, and you'll think about it for weeks. Naomi Watts and Laura Harring are wonderful together. Silencio! No hay banda!
Lost in Translation-Sofia Coppola hits every note perfectly. Part love story, part homage to Tokyo. I never get tired of this film, no matter how many times I watch it. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson have great chemistry together.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-20-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:27 AM

Mulholland Drive-David Lynch's magnum opus. A veritable textbook on how non-linear timelines can be handled in film. See it once, and you'll think about it for weeks. Naomi Watts and Laura Harring are wonderful together.

Silencio! No hay banda!

Bill- I never got the 'threesome' bug or even understood how entertaining witnessing something like 'them' together...until I saw that!

I'm quite sure I looked like Marty Feldman when I watched.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-21-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:12 AM

Default Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Mulholland Drive-David Lynch's magnum opus. A veritable textbook on how non-linear timelines can be handled in film. See it once, and you'll think about it for weeks. Naomi Watts and Laura Harring are wonderful together.

Silencio! No hay banda!

Bill- I never got the 'threesome' bug or even understood how entertaining witnessing something like 'them' together...until I saw that!

..yeah , there are parts of Mulholland Drive and Reservoir Dogs that are forever burned into my brain...

...does anyone remember the name of the movie about a counterfeiter in Los Angeles ...it was in color...it was as odd as most of us are...

..??

Old 08-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..yeah , there are parts of Mulholland Drive and Reservoir Dogs that are forever burned into my brain...

...does anyone remember the name of the movie about a counterfeiter in Los Angeles ...it was in color...it was as odd as most of us are...

..??

could it be Michael Mann's To Live and Die in LA starring Willem Defoe and William Peterson?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Glen Gary, Glen Ross A, B, C Always Be Closing

Bicycle Thief

Little Wars
Old 08-22-2016, 09:08 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
could it be Michael Mann's To Live and Die in LA starring Willem Defoe and William Peterson?

yeah . that's it......some scenes and dialogue are stuck in a strange part of my memory bank....good flick I think

Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 PM
Bill Gregory

Well, I was really referring to them acting together, but their racier scenes certainly made for a couple minutes of compelling cinema. Naomi Watts is incredible, a great actress, and easy on the eyes. I've always liked her. Liev Schreiber is a lucky guy. And Laura Harring? Well, she was Miss USA for a reason. Just a beautiful woman.

And, I lol'd at the Marty Feldman reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I guess its documentry but imo a great one and suggest it to anyone who wants to know who killed jfk. Im not kidding

" jfk the smoking gun"

Imo lays out with evedence who killed JFK, how it happened with photos, and why it was covered up. A must see. Was on netflix a while ago, may still be there.

Its not some far fetched BS crap, but rather very simple.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
I guess its documentry but imo a great one and suggest it to anyone who wants to know who killed jfk. Im not kidding

" jfk the smoking gun"

Imo lays out with evedence who killed JFK, how it happened with photos, and why it was covered up. A must see. Was on netflix a while ago, may still be there.

Its not some far fetched BS crap, but rather very simple.
Not to start WW3 but I saw that and thought it was a bunch of silly nonsense that ignores other evidence and hand waves away all the things that make it's claims ridiculous.

anyway, another good culty movie that not a lot of folks have seen is Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's a period costume drama, a kung fu movie, a werewolf movie and about 10 other things rolled into one is just nuts! I loved it. (watch the subtitled version as the dubbing is distractingly bad)

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-24-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Well, I was really referring to them acting together, but their racier scenes certainly made for a couple minutes of compelling cinema. Naomi Watts is incredible, a great actress, and easy on the eyes. I've always liked her. Liev Schreiber is a lucky guy. And Laura Harring? Well, she was Miss USA for a reason. Just a beautiful woman.

And, I lol'd at the Marty Feldman reference.

They ACT too????

Old 08-26-2016, 09:58 AM

Default ooo--I forgot one....

..."Body Double"---wow , what a plotline plus a Dennis Franz cameo---talk about perfect casting ;

Old 08-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..."Body Double"---wow , what a plotline plus a Dennis Franz cameo---talk about perfect casting ;

Yaaa, I took a girl on a first date to that one- not realizing it was soft porn:eek
Still a good one! I watched it again a few months ago and wasn't quite as impressed.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:55 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Fresh (1994) - Sean Nelson, Samuel L. Jackson, Giancarlo Esposito

Sugar Hill - Wesley Snipes, Michael Wright and Khandi Alexander (CSI Miami, There's Something About Mary). Dark movie

My Life as a Dog (Mit Liv Som Hund) (1985) - Swedish

The Five Heartbeats (1991)- Robert Townsend, Leon (Cool Runnings) and Michael Wright. I think Wright is one of the finest Black actors. Also in 'Sugar Hill' above and "The Principal" with Jim Belushi.

Nightcrawler (2014) - Jake Gyllenhaal. Wide release and a bit dark

The Tribe (1970) - Jan-Michael Vincent, Earl Holliman, Darren McGavin. Made for tv movie.

Duel (1971) - Dennis Weaver. Early Steven Spielberg. Made for tv.

Run Lola Run (Lola Reent) (1998) - Franka Potente best known as Marie from The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy. German

Buster and Billie (1974) - Jan-Michael Vincent, Pamela Sue Martin, Clifton James (Cool Hand Luke, Man With the Golden Gun, Live and Let Die) and in his first role ever - Robert Englund (Freddie Krueger). Takes place in 1940's Georgia. One of my favorite funny movie lines of all times comes from this movie :

Whitey (Englund) to Buster (Vincent) have skipped school and driven to the coast of Georgia. Walking in a park and Whitey to Buster - "Hey Buster I think I spot us some babaroonies." Englund told me that one of the 'babaroonies' was his first wife, though she is not credited.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 08-28-2016 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:11 AM
Bill Gregory

I took a girl on a first date to see Jurassic Park. Still a good one, too, but I haven't been quite as impressed with subsequent viewings, either. No gorgeous girl with her tongue in my mouth for two hours, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Yaaa, I took a girl on a first date to that one- not realizing it was soft porn:eek
Still a good one! I watched it again a few months ago and wasn't quite as impressed.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I took a girl on a first date to see Jurassic Park. Still a good one, too, but I haven't been quite as impressed with subsequent viewings, either. No gorgeous girl with her tongue in my mouth for two hours, unfortunately.

GROSS!

...or as Jeff Goldblum's character said, "That is one big steaming pile..."

Old 09-01-2016, 10:38 AM

I recently saw a good SciFi movie from 2009 called Moon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(film)
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Der Untergang (2004). Downfall in English. dir. Oliver Hirschbiegel, starring the great Bruno Ganz, Ulrich Matthes, Alexandra Maria Lara, and Corinna Harfouch. The final days of Adolf Hitler in the Wolf's Den, from the perspective of his secretary Traudl Junge. Ganz deserved an Oscar nomination for his performance.
Downfall is a good film.
It starts with an excerpt from a great documentary, that is well worth watching: Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Im_toten_Winkel