NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've thought about the set in passing but don't care to collect commons, so I never went for it. I've had these since I was a kid:

Got the Musial signed about 25 years ago.

Last year I didn't like the way things were going with prices so I picked up this one:

I think clean vg or signed is where I will land on this set

I am in the minority for the set in terms of fronts. I prefer the 1957 design for the ID data. If only the 1957 could have had the 1953 caliber pictures to go with it...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-23-2016, 03:12 PM

Adam - Nice stuff. The stark wordless nature of the 53B make them appear more like a photograph than a baseball card. Tru dat.
However; there is something uniquely ethereal about these images. No other set I can compare it too relative to coloration, poses, camera angles and concise era-relative content.
Simple perfection.
Great thread.
RayB
Old 08-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Ne@l K

Nice cards, Adam. Certainly an issue that works nicely with signatures!

as far as the 57s, I am in that minority as well. Love the design and the "darkness" that others seem to notice. Kind of sets it apart from the Topps and Bowman issues that preceded and proceeded the set

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-24-2016, 06:08 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

This card is the only member of the set I currently own, but I am thinking about beginning again. I honestly wouldn't mind finding a centered mid-grade Mantle right off the bat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53 Bowman Spahn.jpg (73.9 KB, 272 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:12 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Is it me, or is the 9 in the 59 on back colored in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantl...sAAOSwZVlXu3~C
Old 08-25-2016, 04:07 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post

Not you ..... looks that way to me too.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-25-2016, 05:12 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:

Yup. Think they got away with that one with the graders.
Drew
Old 08-25-2016, 05:38 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Yup. Think they got away with that one with the graders.
Drew
That's too bad. It isn't an otherwise bad looking card.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
That's too bad. It isn't an otherwise bad looking card.

great card, and if it was priced better, I am not sure that possible mark would bother me.

The Mantle, in my limited searches for the card, does not seem to have a big centering issue like so many of the others - both commons and HOFers alike.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
great card, and if it was priced better, I am not sure that possible mark would bother me.

The Mantle, in my limited searches for the card, does not seem to have a big centering issue like so many of the others - both commons and HOFers alike.
I hear ya! It is absolutely brutal trying to find a mid grade example with reasonable centering. As is the norm with BINs, the price is out of whack. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2016, 08:37 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

what does RCR mean?
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
Got this pretty cheap at the Westchester show yesterday...paid $10 for RCR...authentic, not trimmed, and actually doesn't look that bad in hand...
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Al Richter

Default Rcr

I am not a graded card guy Larry. Raw Card Review ? Paying someone to tell you what they think you should think about your cards ?

RoyaL Canadian Regiment is also a possibility :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-25-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks Al I think you are right Raw Card Review, I see that in the posted image now. I thought the original poster paid $10 for the card, and I'm thinking that's a heck of a deal! But when I read the post now, he "got the card pretty cheap" and then paid Beckett $10 to insure it was authentic. I'm a little slow this AM.
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I am not a graded card guy Larry. Raw Card Review ? Paying someone to tell you what they think you should think about your cards ?

RoyaL Canadian Regiment is also a possibility :-)
Old 08-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Ne@l K

This came in a few days ago .... not a big name, but this is kinda what I am looking for in a PSA 5 for this set.

Always wanted to use this guy as a leadoff hitter in SIM ... anyone here play Diamond Mine? If so, maybe a 54 Postwar custom league is in order

85 Hemus.jpg

Old 08-31-2016, 12:12 PM
Ne@l K

Does anyone know if there are size variations within this issue? I have seen some cards that appear a tad bit short.

Other than being altered, is there any info regarding small cuts?

Thanks

Old 08-31-2016, 01:20 PM
Tom

Default '53 Bowman color Stengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Ted--I wonder if anyone has ever created a color version of that card.
How's this?
Not a lot to colorize, and I'm still learning how to do it in Photoshop, so be gentle in your criticism

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953BowmanStengel25 COLOR.jpg (44.5 KB, 258 views)

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 08-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Ne@l K

Nice work!
Would have looked great as a Bowman color card

Old 08-31-2016, 02:39 PM

Neal - That's a great looking Hemus! These cards are amazing.
Nice progress on the set.
RayB
Old 08-31-2016, 02:48 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
This came in a few days ago .... not a big name, but this is kinda what I am looking for in a PSA 5 for this set.

Always wanted to use this guy as a leadoff hitter in SIM ... anyone here play Diamond Mine? If so, maybe a 54 Postwar custom league is in order

Attachment 243250
Funny, Ole Solly looks a lot like a young Bryan Cranston in that shot. Perhaps from his Dr. Tim Whatley days on 'Seinfeld.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Funny, Ole Solly looks a lot like a young Bryan Cranston in that shot. Perhaps from his Dr. Tim Whatley days on 'Seinfeld.'
you are an anti-dentite

Old 09-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Ne@l K

158 Fox.jpg

One of the things I find unique and appealing about the set is the choice, or lack thereof, of cropping certain images.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Ne@l K

Attachment 243985

One of the things I find unique and appealing about the set is the choice, or lack thereof, of cropping certain images.

158 Fox.jpg

Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

If they had taken some time on the mantle card, it woild have been greatly appreciated! It seems lkme even well centered copies...are oc

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
If they had taken some time on the mantle card, it woild have been greatly appreciated! It seems lkme even well centered copies...are oc
and that is what makes this set unique imo .... I think that is one of the Micks best cards actually lol

Here are a few of the main reasons why the set is so appealing

43 Garcia.jpg

15 Busby.jpg

45 Dropo.jpg

28 Burgess.jpg

110 Rush.jpg

Old 09-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Wow! That Rush image is unbelievable! Great stuff Neal.
RayB
Old 09-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Ne@l K

one of my favorite cards from the set ... just arrived today

103 Ennis.jpg

I am now at just under 25%, which is not a tough feat considering the grade level, but this is the first set that I have gotten to this completion percentage in a long while. I have pulled a Costanza, and have worked this set completely different than I have with other sets.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:28 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Great card. And speaking of old Georgie boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 09-12-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Steve,
Love this set and your firsthand experience but you said 53 topps was "pedestrian hand drawn artwork" ouch I feel like you just slapped my wife hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Al is certainly correct about the 1953 Topps cards outselling Bowmans' issue that year, but that fact was was not due to kids preferring the Topps cards at all. Rather, the relatively poorer sales figures for Bowman had to do with a smaller distribution and probably lower production numbers overall. Personally, I can recall kids in my schoolyard falling all over each other to get a look at the new Bowmans when they hit the stores that spring. The amazing color photography and innovative design impressed kids far more than the more pedestrian hand-drawn artwork used by Topps. Nonetheless, more kids had stacks of the Topps cards simply because that was what they found on store shelves and countertops. I recall riding a bike all over my small (40K) hometown trying to find the Bowman cards without much success that year. Candy distributors just bought many more cases of Topps product than Bowman regardless of what kids might have preferred.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:51 PM

Great Ennis!
Old 09-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Ne@l K

Just in today

10 Ashburn.jpg46 Campy.jpg
57 Boudreau.jpg61 Kell.jpg

Old 09-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Tony Conte

Neal,

These are sweet! You need a 38 Goudey Joe D. to make your collection
complete!

T
Old 09-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
Neal,

These are sweet! You need a 38 Goudey Joe D. to make your collection
complete!

T
I already have one lined up pal

Old 09-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Damn, Neal, those are some sweet cards!

Is it just me, or does campanella have a bunch of great looking cards? Collecting his basic run would be a real joy.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:19 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Wow, they graded those tough.

Great looking cards!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:35 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Wow, they graded those tough.

Great looking cards!
I agree! My eyes must be going if that Ashburn is only a 6.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

I doubt this one would interest you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0729.jpg (43.1 KB, 241 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Ne@l K

Was waiting on that one to show up lol

Great berra!

Old 09-17-2016, 04:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I agree! My eyes must be going if that Ashburn is only a 6.
I also thought the Campy, especially with that centering, was graded way too low.

I am curious what Neal can tell us about those cards and his own personal view on how he thinks they only received what they did?
Old 09-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I also thought the Campy, especially with that centering, was graded way too low.

I am curious what Neal can tell us about those cards and his own personal view on how he thinks they only received what they did?
Hi Irv,
The Campy is accurately graded, imo. Perhaps a 5.5 would be in order if this was submitted today ...... maybe a 6 on a lucky sub. The corners are solid 5 corners.

Last edited by Neal; 09-17-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:40 PM
edward broeth

decided to start.

only looking for psa 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14292361_10153904112122596_4719404631555635885_n.jpg (53.7 KB, 208 views)

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 09-18-2016, 06:52 AM
Ne@l K

nice start!

Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Hi Irv,
The Campy is accurately graded, imo. Perhaps a 5.5 would be in order if this was submitted today ...... maybe a 6 on a lucky sub. The corners are solid 5 corners.
Thanks for letting me know, Neal.

Pictures are deceiving!
Old 09-20-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Now these are baseball cards! Wow Neal.
RayB
Old 09-24-2016, 09:21 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

I was going after the Dodgers team set for this issue but now they are like Pokeman -- gotta catch 'me all!

When I finished my 1971 set in near mint a couple months ago (what a beast) it was between 1957 Topps in near mint or 1953 Bowman in ex-mt or better as the next to chase. I just realized the answer was not OR but rather BOTH.

Some of those 5s are so nice I'm thinking I need to do EX or higher now. This board has definitely helped me fully understand that I need to buy the card I like rather than the grade/holder.

Scott
Old 10-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Ne@l K

latest addition ....

121 Berra.jpg

Based on Ted's article, I realized that this was going to be a tough card. Thankfully I am working on the set in mid grade, so the centering will have to do on this one. I haven't seen any better, except for much high grades (and price tags beyond my budget) so I was pleased to work out a deal privately

Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Don

Love the 53 Bowmans! Some players have their best card in this set, Musial, Snider, et al.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 AM

A relaxed Yogi.
Life is good. That card is spectacular!
RayB
Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Default Heritage Auction

There are several 1953 Bowman PSA-7 cards for sale in the current Heritage auction.

Last edited by flkersn; 10-22-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Ne@l K

chugging along ...

18 Fox.jpg

Old 10-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

My only two:

mantle.jpg
musial.jpg