NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-19-2019, 01:18 PM

Exclamation Machado to Padres

10 years
$300 million

https://sports.yahoo.com/manny-macha...173812310.html
Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Prediction: decent production for first two years followed by steep drop off.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Very strange landing spot for him. Tatis Jr. is on the cusp of the major leagues and they play the same position, assuming Machado is still adamant about playing short.

I think he'll see a severe sap in his power numbers and find himself overshadowed in short order by Tatis Jr. and Luis Urias.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

He is going from a hitters park to a pitchers park. I don’t see this as being good. And the aforementioned block of Tatis makes no sense. Reminds me when the Yanks signed McCann even though Sanchez was their #1 prospect.

I’m not sure what Preller is up to but he doesn’t seem to have much of a game plan. When he first started he made a big splash by making a bunch of trades and signing Shields. It didn’t work. Then he traded a bunch of guys away and restocked the farm system - currently one of the best in baseball. That was working. So now last season he signs Hosmer and this season he signs Machado - 2 of the most ridiculous, bloated albatross contracts in a market where the other teams have learned better than to sign contracts like that. There seems to be little direction or consistency in terms of building a team from the Padres in the past few years.

After watching Machado in the post season last year, he is the last person I would want to provide leadership to a group of young, talented ballplayers. His performance in clutch situations fell short and he disgraced himself with his displays of poor sportsmanship. I’m just glad the Padres signed him and not my team.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hey, the Padres have a 'great' history of successful free-agent signings, so let's give it a chance.

Is it possible that the Mets have a west-coast office?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think with a fresh start, with his talent he'll do just fine. I agree the contract is insane, I bet nobody else was even close to that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-19-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 AM

They have several pitchers in the top 100 list this year but I wouldn't be too confident on any of them considering San Diego's complete lack of pitching develop. Jake Peavy was what....10 years ago? Just seems like an expensive way to lose.

Last edited by packs; 02-20-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's odd to me that not a single playoff team made a pitch for either Machado or Harper. What's up with that?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's odd to me that not a single playoff team made a pitch for either Machado or Harper. What's up with that?
10 years 300 mil is more than most teams could justify, I suppose. Manny was on a playoff and World Series team and did not exactly light it up offensively however he did seem to be pretty offensive. Great ball player but he comes with baggage.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Machado doesn't really fit in anywhere on the playoff squads. Yankees have Gregorius, Torres and Andujar; Boston has Bogaerts and Devers; Houston has Correa and Bregman; Cleveland has Ramirez and Lindor; Atlanta has Freeman and Swanson; Chicago has Russell and Bryant; LA doesn't need him with Seager and Turner.

The Brewers might have made sense but they spent their money early on Grandal. They aren't the kind of team who is going to pay 300 mil either.

Harper is more of mystery.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Machado doesn't really fit in anywhere on the playoff squads. Yankees have Gregorius, Torres and Andujar; Boston has Bogaerts and Devers; Houston has Correa and Bregman; Cleveland has Ramirez and Lindor; Atlanta has Freeman and Swanson; Chicago has Russell and Bryant; LA doesn't need him with Seager and Turner.

The Brewers might have made sense but they spent their money early on Grandal. They aren't the kind of team who is going to pay 300 mil either.

Good analysis but as a Red Sox fan, leaving aside the baggage for the moment, I would take Machado over Devers or Bogaerts in an instant. We're talking about an elite hitter, and a fine infielder. I think he would have been great in Fenway. That said, I understand not wanting to lay out that kind of money and disrupt a championship team.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-20-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM

I realized I'm off on Freeman. I remember him playing third in 2017 but he didn't play 3rd at all in 2018. They had Camargo there. He played reasonably well.

I think Boston probably passed because signing Machado would have meant trading either Bogaerts or Devers. Devers is cheap and they've got a lot of players coming up for free agency next year (Bogaerts included). I can see why they'd rather spread the wealth than put it all in one place.

Last edited by packs; 02-20-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I don't know if Harper is an underachiever who will never reach the level expected or just not as good as a lot of us thought.

He is still young but has had ample opportunity to get back to his MVP level, which, in hind-sight, may turn out to be his peak. I hope not though...I have almost as many Harpers as Trouts.

IMO, until he shows some consistency, he's not worth the 'max' deals.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-20-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I realized I'm off on Freeman. I remember him playing third in 2017 but he didn't play 3rd at all in 2018. They had Camargo there. He played reasonably well.

I think Boston probably passed because signing Machado would have meant trading either Bogaerts or Devers. Devers is cheap and they've got a lot of players coming up for free agency next year (Bogaerts included). I can see why they'd rather spread the wealth than put it all in one place.

Freeman is a first baseman- 2017 only happened because they had signed Matt Adams while Freeman was injured...and Freddie volunteered to play third, even though he had not done so since HS (if my memory serves) - Adams was swinging a hot bat at the time, but Freeman was a liability at third.

Also, the Braves signed Josh Donaldson early on this offseason, looking to have him at third and using Camargo as a super-sub.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Yes every MLB team can afford the top FA's.

However on the owners side, they still run a team as a business.

Is the team near the luxury tax? What will that cost me if I go over? How does the player fit the team in the coming years? Can the player help me win? Anticipating which players are going to the FA market in the next couple of years? Will I get a return on my money in attendance, merchandise sales not only this year but the years to come? What is the character of the player? Are they a leader or a mentor?

Players side, what's in it for me?

Do I want to win? If so, how long will I have to wait? Will I like the organization? Do I like the community or location? Will this move help my career? Is it only about the money? How important is my legacy with the team I was with prior to FA? Are there family obligations to location?

In terms of how long it has taken for Harper or Machado to sign, teams just aren't going to throw 300M around quickly.

And neither player was in a hurry to sign quickly anyway.

THEY said so themselves.

I'm not sure why other players are upset about how much time has passed.

It seems that the players have forgotten the agents work for the players. The players have received VERY poor advice from their agents.

Moose is a perfect example. Turned down a 17M qualifying offer last year from KC, tested FA and strongly rumored to have turned down a 4 and 60 from the Angels. Ended up signing with KC for 6 or 7 M. This year, reups with the Brewers for 1 year at 10M.

Surprisingly, Moose kept his agent rather than firing him. Boras.

The agents have failed to adjust to a changing market for the players.

Teams will spend, they're just being smarter with the dollars.

Players in their early 30's are not going to get a 5yr deal. 2 maybe 3, but not 5.

Kimbrel wanting all sorts of years and cash.....many times closers are interchangeable . Does a team spend the cash for Kimbrel or look internal or at a reasonable external player with a closer mentality?

Again, the agent needs to be in touch with market climate and honest with his client, the player. Teams are viewing Kimbrels ask as unreasonable.

There's no collusion. Owners are spending smarter. Time will tell if the Padres spent well on Manny. Hosmer needs to show better.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the FA market plays out and who ends up where.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 02-20-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I don't know if Harper is an underachiever who will never reach the level expected or just not as good as a lot of us thought.

He is still young but has had ample opportunity to get back to his MVP level, which, in hind-sight, may turn out to be his peak. I hope not though...I have almost as many Harpers as Trouts.

Indeed in light of so many off years from Harper I might take Machado over Harper. Heresy perhaps.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Freeman is a first baseman- 2017 only happened because they had signed Matt Adams while Freeman was injured...and Freddie volunteered to play third, even though he had not done so since HS (if my memory serves) - Adams was swinging a hot bat at the time, but Freeman was a liability at third.

Also, the Braves signed Josh Donaldson early on this offseason, looking to have him at third and using Camargo as a super-sub.
They've also got Austin Riley knocking on the door for 3B too. Forgot about Donaldson but he may ultimately be a non-factor anyway depending on what he has left.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Michael S.

Is it possible that the Mets have a west-coast office?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if the Mets have a west coast office, but he isn't 33 and they aren't offering 2 mil per year in perpetuity. My guess is that this really is the Padres.

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44

Last edited by Cmount76; 02-20-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Apparently the Padres are still in the running for ... wait for it... Harper.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5307876/ml...ffer-phillies/

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-21-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Apparently the Padres are still in the running for ... wait for it... Harper.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5307876/ml...ffer-phillies/
Thanks for the update Peter !

If I'm Philly, I move on and wish Harper the best.

Mike Trout is firmly on radar, and that's where I focus.

As others have said, you don't know what Harper will give year to year, and Trout is consistent. More important . Trout loves Philly!
Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 AM

I just don't know why the Padres aren't focused on starting pitching. It seems short sighted to invest in third base and outfield when you haven't had an ace in a decade plus. A host of top of the line pitching is scheduled to hit the market next year (de Grom, Sale, Hamels, Porcello, Bumgarner, etc.) that it would have made more sense for them to spend in 2020 than it did wasting 300 mil on a non-factor like Machado. He doesn't put them any closer to winning than they were without him.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Agreed. Pitching wins. You need bats but all the bats in the world won’t help if you have no pitching. Machado will help San Diego as much as he helped Baltimore. Maybe 2-4 more wins.

Quote:
I just don't know why the Padres aren't focused on starting pitching. It seems short sighted to invest in third base and outfield when you haven't had an ace in a decade plus. A host of top of the line pitching is scheduled to hit the market next year (de Grom, Sale, Hamels, Porcello, Bumgarner, etc.) that it would have made more sense for them to spend in 2020 than it did wasting 300 mil on a non-factor like Machado. He doesn't put them any closer to winning than they were without him.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:59 AM

If they were on the cusp last year it would make sense that Machado could be the it factor they need. But they lost almost 100 games. So what are they going to lose this year, 90 instead?

Wouldn't it have made more sense and been significantly cheaper if they signed both Gio Gonzalez and Dallas Keuchel?

Last edited by packs; 02-21-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Agreed. Pitching wins. You need bats but all the bats in the world won’t help if you have no pitching. Machado will help San Diego as much as he helped Baltimore. Maybe 2-4 more wins.
How did the 2018 Mets do with DeGrom and Syndergaard?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-21-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:50 PM

You definitely need a little bit of everything. My point was I think the Padres already have / will have their bats. The pitching is a glaring hole.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You definitely need a little bit of everything. My point was I think the Padres already have / will have their bats. The pitching is a glaring hole.
Supposedly they have good up and coming pitching from the farm system, but who knows.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Tell me about it.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The Mets pen was awful in 2018. Couple that with the overall health of the Mets SP and innings limits, the pen need to be lights out.

Pitching was key for the Mets in 2018, not the bats.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

When I said you need pitching - I mean a lot of it. Overall they were 16th in the league in era. Their bullpen stinks. They were also 24th in runs scored. So there’s that.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
When I said you need pitching - I mean a lot of it. Overall they were 16th in the league in era. Their bullpen stinks. They were also 24th in runs scored. So there’s that.
I did not realize they had nothing after the two starters. Still, as to your point, I don't see it necessarily as a bad move to pick up an elite slugger.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:48 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

10 year contracts in baseball do not work out well for the team. Especially at $30 mil per year. By the end of these monster contracts the teams are fighting luxury tax and trying to unload the guy to whoever will take him (see Ellsbury). Not to mention that Fernando Tatis Jr (padres #1 prospect, #2 overall in baseball) plays SS where Machado plans to play.

Machado never struck me as the elite, franchise, once in a generation player who would be worth $300 mil. For someone known as a slugger he has never hit .300, never hit 40 hr and this was his first 100 rbi season. He was never an mvp finalist. He’s also leaving a very hitter friendly ballpark. He’s a very good player but I wouldn’t put the teams next decade in his hands.

Quote:
I did not realize they had nothing after the two starters. Still, as to your point, I don't see it necessarily as a bad move to pick up an elite slugger.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

He's averaging about 35 HR for the last 4 years. That's pretty good in my book. 1000 hits at age 26. 90+ RBI on an awful team. I agree on the 10 years, other than Trout there's nobody I would sign for that long.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:15 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Much better than if they didn't have them, hitting and the bullpen was the Mets problems, not deGrom and Syndergaard or Wheeler for that matter.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
He's averaging about 35 HR for the last 4 years. That's pretty good in my book. 1000 hits at age 26. 90+ RBI on an awful team. I agree on the 10 years, other than Trout there's nobody I would sign for that long.
I think Machado is a good player but do you think he's worth 30 mil a year? That's A-rod money and even though he was cheating, A-rod was a lot better than Machado.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think Machado is a good player but do you think he's worth 30 mil a year? That's A-rod money and even though he was cheating, A-rod was a lot better than Machado.
ARod was a decade ago and I assume salaries have gone up, but that said I saw him more as a 200M guy not 300 especially after his postseason antics.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 AM
Shain

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Harper is (assuming) trying to command a record-setting type free agent deal.. A-Rod/Pujols/Cabrera type money but he has nowhere near the consistency or numerous prolific seasons that any of those guys had to earn their hefty contracts. He has one brilliant 10-WAR season, and three 1-WAR seasons, all in all averaging 3.9 WAR per year. That's not elite/record setting money-worthy IMO. His best season is what Trout AVERAGES over every year of his career (9.1 WAR... close enough) perhaps not fair to compare people to Trout, just for point of reference.

Even Machado has averaged 4.8 WAR per season and has much more consistency in elite performance than Harper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2019, 08:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell-1994 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Harper is (assuming) trying to command a record-setting type free agent deal.. A-Rod/Pujols/Cabrera type money but he has nowhere near the consistency or numerous prolific seasons that any of those guys had to earn their hefty contracts. He has one brilliant 10-WAR season, and three 1-WAR seasons, all in all averaging 3.9 WAR per year. That's not elite/record setting money-worthy IMO. His best season is what Trout AVERAGES over every year of his career (9.1 WAR... close enough) perhaps not fair to compare people to Trout, just for point of reference.

Even Machado has averaged 4.8 WAR per season and has much more consistency in elite performance than Harper.

The book is still very much out on Harper, but given the undeniable potential, teams are going to take risks.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM

I guess the question is whether or not there is potential to be better or only a potential that he continues to trend the other way.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:30 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
The book is still very much out on Harper, but given the undeniable potential, teams are going to take risks.
Looks like the only team to take the risk may be Philly. If I'm Philly, my offer is less now.

Aside from Harpers MVP season way back in 2015, he led the league in 1 category ( over a 7 year career ). That was last year in walks.

Huge chunk of change for a player that doesn't lead the league in anything, except walks one year.

I just don't see it. Maybe someone else does, but his stats don't add to 300 mil to me.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:47 PM
Shain

Quote:
I would understand taking a risk due to the potential upside as he enters his peak years. But it seems to me a shorter deal for high annual average salary would be more fitting and safe for the team involved. Reportedly turning down a 10-year $300 million offer from Nats implies he was searching for even MORE than that which is just ludicrous in my view. Gigantic money should be rewarded based on proven performance, not on potential, IMO.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:33 PM
Bill Gregory

$30 mil a year to a guy with an attitude problem that half-asses it much of the time.

What could possibly go wrong??

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:45 PM
Bill Gregory

I'm glad the Brewers never went after Machado. They wouldn't have ponied up anywhere close to $30 M, and to be honest, I think that they were encouraged by what they saw from Orlando Arcia. The kid was a top ten prospect in baseball, and they're not going to give up on him that quickly.

After a decent rookie year, he was awful last year for the first three months of the season. But when he went down to AAA, they tweaked his approach at the plate, and when he came back up, he was a different player. He hit .280 after coming back, and was fantastic in September, hitting .329 in 26 games while OPSing .805. And he was real good in the playoffs, going 11 for 33 with 3 home runs and a .985 OPS.

He's got some pop in his bat (had 15 home runs in about 500 ABs as a 22 year old, and his round trippers were split evenly between home and road), so it's not out of the question for him to knock 20 out a season. And his glove is elite. He's going to win multiple Gold Gloves.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

The Harper melodrama needs to end soon. It's absurd at this point.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Looks like the only team to take the risk may be Philly. If I'm Philly, my offer is less now.

Aside from Harpers MVP season way back in 2015, he led the league in 1 category ( over a 7 year career ). That was last year in walks.

Huge chunk of change for a player that doesn't lead the league in anything, except walks one year.

I just don't see it. Maybe someone else does, but his stats don't add to 300 mil to me.
It's the promise of that one great season, plus flashes of his undeniable talent and the belief that he can somehow put whatever has held him back behind him. I'm not sure he's worth it.