NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM

I don't think it's an issue of the length of a baseball game either.

Really, I think sports in general has been marginilized in America, and because baseball was once so prominent, it only looks like it's suffering dramatically.

Baseball used to be a focal point of American life. Remember, Jackie Robinson breaking baseball's color line was a tremendous event in American history, not just baseball. That's because baseball once meant that much to America's identity.

In my opinion, sports in general has been out paced and forced out of the public's psyche by Celebrity. Every American now wants to be a celebrity. But being a celebrity is not a "thing" you can be. It's somethig you attain. Think about how many reality shows are on at any given time. These are regular people at work who are suddenly huge nation-wide stars (think Duck Dynasty). You no longer have to be good at anything, and being good at sports or being good looking (movie stars) is no longer the only way to capture the country or world's attention.

For baseball to recover, companies like Steiner need to disappear. Card companies need to stop marketing to adults and big hit chasers looking for cut signature cards.

The focus needs to be brought back to celebrating America's oldest pastime with your family. Only then will baseball mean as much to children today as it did in the past. Baseball needs to remind people of what going to a game with your dad is like. Kids need to know that they can form bonds with their families at the ballpark and that its a tradition, not a business.

Last edited by packs; 10-31-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think it's an issue of the length of a baseball game either.

Really, I think sports in general has been marginilized in America, and because baseball was once so prominent, it only looks like it's suffering dramatically.

Baseball used to be a focal point of American life. Remember, Jackie Robinson breaking baseball's color line was a tremendous event in American history, not just baseball. That's because baseball once meant that much to America's identity.

In my opinion, sports in general has been out paced and forced out of the public's psyche by Celebrity. Every American now wants to be a celebrity. But being a celebrity is not a "thing" you can be. It's somethig you attain. Think about how many reality shows are on at any given time. These are regular people at work who are suddenly huge nation-wide stars (think Duck Dynasty). You no longer have to be good at anything, and being good at sports or being good looking (movie stars) is no longer the only way to capture the country or world's attention.

For baseball to recover, companies like Steiner need to disappear. Card companies need to stop marketing to adults and big hit chasers looking for cut signature cards.

The focus needs to be brought back to celebrating America's oldest pastime with your family. Only then will baseball mean as much to children today as it did in the past. Baseball needs to remind people of what going to a game with your dad is like. Kids need to know that they can form bonds with their families at the ballpark and that its a tradition, not a business.
I agree here too
Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Games have been 9 innings for a long time, but our society has been evolving toward a 'McDonalds mentality' for a long time, so perhaps 9 innings is now too long for kids.

Older guys can think back on why they loved baseball as a kid, and then identify what is now missing or different: focus on steroids, corporate ticket prices, fewer heroes and more criminals among players. When I was a kid there was the feeling that anyone could be a baseball player, regardless of size, wealth or anything else. Now I don't sense that with kids.

Not sure how video games and other modern distractions play into this - when I was a kid we loved playing board games, but we also loved baseball. I also think baseball cards had a heavy influence - building sets, getting your Mantle or Mays, reading those stats and building teams out of your cards. Now they are just collectibles, and parents (like us) are into it.

I also remember running home from school every afternoon to catch the afternoon world series games between the Tigers and Cardinals in 1968. Now the games are all at 8pm+ Eastern, so a lot of kids can't even stay up to watch them. Every aspect of baseball is now geared toward making money for rich people, so there are fewer ways for a kid to identify with it on a personal level, other than when they are out in the sandlot actually playing.