NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-05-2023, 03:23 PM
David Buckingham

Default question about authenticity of 1956 Action Pictures Mickey Mantle

I recently purchased a 1956 Action Pictures Mickey Mantle photo, and I have since discovered, by looking at completed sales, that there are reproductions of this photo.

How can you tell the difference.

Any help appreciated.

judgebuck (David)
Old 09-06-2023, 10:55 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebuck View Post
I recently purchased a 1956 Action Pictures Mickey Mantle photo, and I have since discovered, by looking at completed sales, that there are reproductions of this photo.

How can you tell the difference.

Any help appreciated.

judgebuck (David)
Hey David,

I wasn't aware that that photo had been reproduced, although it wouldn't surprise me if it had. I think it would be easy to do. I'm not sure how to tell the difference other than looking at it through a magnifying glass at the quality of the black area.

I would also add that there are several legitimate versions of that photo out there.

This is from my 1956 Yankees Action Photo set. It has a matte finish.

Mantle 1956 Team Issued Set.jpg

This is, I believe, a team issued photo (I'm not sure of the year). It is on semi-glossy paper. I have it framed, hence the glare.

Mantle Photo Yankees Issue unknown year.jpg

This is from my 1960 Yankees Action Photo set. It has a matte finish.

Mantle 1960 Team Issued Action Picture Set resized.jpg

Please not that the cropping is slightly different on the three photos. Notice the shadow from Mick's hands on his shoulder. On the 1956 team photo set photo, the shadow comes close to, but does not touch the right border. On the team issued photo, it is farther from the border. On the 1960 team photo set photo, it touches and probably extends beyond the border. There also might be other versions out that I'm not aware of. I haven't seen the Mantles included in the 1958 or 1959 Action photo sets and they could potentially be different versions of the same photo or a different photo (the 1957 Action photo set has a different photo).

So, even though your 1956 photo doesn't match the other ones sold, it doesn't mean it or they are reproductions. It, or they, could be from a different source (for instance a photo set from a different year) and simply mischaracterized as from the 1956 Yankee Action Photo set. I would guess PSA in their infinite wisdom would label them all as 1956 Yankee Action photos.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:36 PM
David Buckingham

Mike,

Thanks for the information!

Here is the photo I purchased. Don't know if you can tell enough from this to determine whether it looks legit.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mickey mantle ap 5.jpg (195.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 09-06-2023, 03:32 PM
David Buckingham

The one I purchased appears, based on the shadow of the hands, to be from the 1956 set.

However, the border appears considerable larger on mine.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:58 AM
Michael

The border definitely looks bigger. Even though the shadow is similar to the 1956 set photo, I don't think it's from that set. The cropping on the left is different from any of mine - the sleeve on the left is much closer to the border than on any of mine. All that being said, and even though I don't have it in hand, from what I see I think it is probably a period piece, although I could very easily be wrong. I'm very curious as to the source.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:58 AM
Michael

Double post

Last edited by AustinMike; 09-07-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:40 PM
David Buckingham

I purchased the photo on eBay a couple of weeks ago from "nodoubtgrrl." The listing said it was "Photo of New York Yankees Mickey Mantle & Roger Maris & Mantle photo." The listing said that the photos were from a relative's estate who was an avid memorabilia collector. The seller did have many sports memorabilia items, including older items.

I realized after getting the photos that there were two other like photos in eBay completed listings (one for $5.00 and one for $8.25) that were advertised as reproductions. Thus, I became concerned about my purchase.

Mike, I appreciate your input and any other thoughts you or others may have.

David
Old 09-08-2023, 05:16 AM
Ben W.hitener

Looks legit to me…just a larger border.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:17 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebuck View Post
I purchased the photo on eBay a couple of weeks ago from "nodoubtgrrl." The listing said it was "Photo of New York Yankees Mickey Mantle & Roger Maris & Mantle photo." The listing said that the photos were from a relative's estate who was an avid memorabilia collector. The seller did have many sports memorabilia items, including older items.

I realized after getting the photos that there were two other like photos in eBay completed listings (one for $5.00 and one for $8.25) that were advertised as reproductions. Thus, I became concerned about my purchase.

Mike, I appreciate your input and any other thoughts you or others may have.

David
Sorry, I wasn't clear when I asked about the source. I was wondering about the original source. Was it from a Yankee photo set from a different year? Was it a mailout from the Yankees? Was it a premium; and if so, where?