NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Dan Bl@u

Default Fakes/Reprints at Raleigh Show

For anyone attending the Raleigh show this weekend, you may want to keep an eye out for a fake V122 Cobb and Maple Crispette Ruth that are side-by-side in one dealer's case. These caught my eye a few months ago at the last show because the Cobb especially didn't look right. I took a couple pictures today and with some help (thanks Leon & Brad!) confirmed my suspicions. They were definitely priced to sell, so once again I'm very grateful that this board has kept me from wasting my money.

Last edited by Leon; 12-12-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You are welcome. I have wasted enough for both of us, trust me. I bought one of those Ruths you are showing in a PRO 5 holder.. I hadn't seen any fakes in PRO holders until that one. Since I cracked it I ate it. It had the brown spot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
For anyone attending the Raleigh show this weekend, you may want to keep an eye out for a fake V122 Cobb and Maple Crispette Ruth that are side-by-side in one dealer's case. These caught my eye a few months ago at the last show because the Cobb especially didn't look right. I took a couple pictures today and with some help (thanks Leon & Brad!) confirmed my suspicions. They were definitely priced to sell, so once again I'm very grateful that this board has kept me from wasting my money.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Jason Wells

Thanks for the heads up im on my way down to the show now. While these cards are not in my collecting interests for the right price I may have been slightly tempted. I would guess the WST on the Ruth reverse would have added a premium if legit.

Last edited by Jason; 12-12-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Dan Bl@u

Jason - I'm on my way in a bit, hope to see you there!

Another member PM'd me to let me know that he told this dealer last year that the Ruth was fake, so the guy is clearly trying to scam someone. I'll try to get his name today.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

While some of you can spot the fake, there are some of us who might not see the signs. Why do you think these are fake? If there was a previous link discussing this, it might be nice to include it in this thread.
Thanks.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 12-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
While some of you can spot the fake, there are some of us who might not see the signs. Why do you think these are fake? If there was a previous link discussing this, it might be nice to include it in this thread.
Thanks.
The Cobb is easy. All you have to do is put that scan up next to a real ones scan. It is a very poor reprint, not even close. The focus and printing are way off and it iooks all washed out. The Ruth is tougher. The WST on back is seen on this series sometimes so that is a bad thing in telling this is a fake, as some real ones have it. The only way you are going to know on the Ruth is to feel the paper. It doesn't pass the "rubbing it between thumb and index finger" test. The paper feels sort of rough, not like 90 yrs old paper, and it has NO gloss when closely inspected.....Again, this one is tougher. However, that darned brown mark on the upper front is on a lot of the reprints. I am not sure why it's there except maybe the real one it was made from had it, but it's a tell on that card...Hope this helps....

Last edited by Leon; 12-12-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Thanks Leon.

Might be a little difficult to compare it to a real scan. How do you know whether the real scan is real and not a fake too. What came first? The chicken or the egg?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
And.rew Mil.ler

Does the dealer know they're fakes? Will there be a confrontation? Could it be recorded?
L@rry T1p+0n

It seems like something the shows manager or promoter should know about?
Larry
Old 12-12-2015, 08:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Thanks Leon.

Might be a little difficult to compare it to a real scan. How do you know whether the real scan is real and not a fake too. What came first? The chicken or the egg?
I added my ex- Ruth to the first post so you can see the printing quality difference between it and the Cobb. The cobb in question looks all washed out. It's not anywhere close, I guess that is how you tell? It doesn't seem that diffucult to me but I do have a little experience with the series....(not a lot) Also the 50/50 centering on the Cobb is another piece of the puzzle. It is at least a yellow flag.....

Last edited by Leon; 12-12-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Dan Bl@u

I confronted the dealer and he has removed them from his display. He acted surprised at first and insisted they were legit, but he eventually backed off and said he believed me. I'll keep an eye on his cases and will take it up with the promoter if they show back up.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:40 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
I confronted the dealer and he has removed them from his display. He acted surprised at first and insisted they were legit, but he eventually backed off and said he believed me. I'll keep an eye on his cases and will take it up with the promoter if they show back up.
Good!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Way to go, man!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Jason - I'm on my way in a bit, hope to see you there!

Another member PM'd me to let me know that he told this dealer last year that the Ruth was fake, so the guy is clearly trying to scam someone. I'll try to get his name today.
Please do! While I am from Raleigh, I won't be attending the show as I have a prior engagement I must take care of. I remember one of the dealers had a fake Michael Jordan rookie card in an SGC case. First time I have ever seen a fake card in an SGC holder. I would be curious to know if it is the exact same dealer.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Dan Bl@u

Just a little more info for everyone. The guy's name is Joe, and based on a PM from another member I believe it's Joe Thomas. He was nice enough to me but it sounds like this isn't the first time he's been told he has fakes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they show up again. I do have an audio recording of the conversation if anyone needs it in the future as evidence that he knows they're fake. AND THANKS VERY MUCH AGAIN to everyone who PM'd me with info & advice.

And for a little cosmic balance, let me also highly recommend a seller named Floyd Soeder who sets up at a few shows each year and sells on eBay under the name FSCARDS1. I have dealt with Floyd a few times. He has a lot of prewar and vintage inventory, prices his cards reasonably and gives good discounts, and is exceptionally easy to work with. I bought a T205 Chance and a couple other cards from him today.

Last edited by Bliggity; 12-12-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Just a little more info for everyone. The guy's name is Joe, and based on a PM from another member I believe it's Joe Thomas. He was nice enough to me but it sounds like this isn't the first time he's been told he has fakes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they show up again. I do have an audio recording of the conversation if anyone needs it in the future as evidence that he knows they're fake. AND THANKS VERY MUCH AGAIN to everyone who PM'd me with info & advice.

And for a little cosmic balance, let me also highly recommend a seller named Floyd Soeder who sets up at a few shows each year and sells on eBay under the name FSCARDS1. I have dealt with Floyd a few times. He has a lot of prewar and vintage inventory, prices his cards reasonably and gives good discounts, and is exceptionally easy to work with. I bought a T205 Chance and a couple other cards from him today.
Floyd is great. Sometimes he is there - sometimes he is not. I look forward to his presence but he has not been there the past few times I went.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:

+1 on Floyd. Just bought a very tough card from him on ebay and it was a perfect transaction all around.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:26 PM
Eric

Another thumbs up for Floyd Soeder - I picked up a PSA 4 Goudey Ruth from him at the National this past summer in a cash + cards deal. Very fair deal all around, and a nice guy.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:29 AM
Glyn Parson

Default The Cobb is so bad

I want to laugh. If one can not see why that is bad please stick to graded cards in clearly uncompromised cases. I could understand the Ruth fooling a less advanced collector, but the Cobb looks like many of the fakes out there from almost any series.

Last edited by glynparson; 12-13-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I want to laugh. If one can not see why that is bad please stick to graded cards in clearly uncompromised cases. I could understand the Ruth fooling a less advanced collector, but the Cobb looks like many of the fakes out there from almost any series.
I wanna be I wanna be like Glyn.....
Old 12-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Jason Wells

Raleigh....nice little show. Alot of the same vintage inventory from the last time I was there. Three T210's total. Same three as last time. That really surprises me given the proximity of so many teams. I think ill set up next time and bring some local to the area vintage with me. I did pick up a 1992 Score box to bust in hopes of the insert Knoblauch Auto I want but no luck. The luck came with my ASM #2 pickup at one of the many local comic book stores. Fun times.

Last edited by Jason; 12-13-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Raleigh....nice little show. Alot of the same vintage inventory from the last time I was there. Three T210's total. Same three as last time. That really surprises me given the proximity of so many teams. I think ill set up next time and bring some local to the area vintage with me. I did pick up a 1992 Score box to bust in hopes of the insert Knoblauch Auto I want but no luck. The luck came with my ASM #2 pickup at one of the many local comic book stores. Fun times.
There was a guy with a stack of about a dozen T210s in PSA holders! Sorry you missed it. I actually almost picked up three '89 Fleer boxes for $20 to search for FF errors and Griffey/Johnson rookies, but I forgot to go back and grab them at the end of the show.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
There was a guy with a stack of about a dozen T210s in PSA holders! Sorry you missed it. I actually almost picked up three '89 Fleer boxes for $20 to search for FF errors and Griffey/Johnson rookies, but I forgot to go back and grab them at the end of the show.
Cant believe my Red Border bloodhound aka my son and I both missed those. There was a table we doubled then tripled back to that was still pretty busy but my glances didnt see any. Chances are that was it. The Score box was 5.00. Wish he had a couple more.