NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Richard Simon

Tomorrow night ---- on Broadway ----
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Last concert I rolled to was in Buffalo for The Claypool Lennon Delirium...

This wasn't the concert, but is a great set from them...It is John Lennon's son and dude from Primus, who is ridiculous on the bass...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAEHyKi0eP8&t=600s

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 11-17-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:15 AM
Richard Simon

Wow,,, Saw Bruce Springsteen last night on Broadway.
Not like his usual stadium rock n roll shows but spectacular nonetheless.
Two + hours, Bruce on guitar, Bruce on piano, two songs with Patty and much patter about his life story.
It was enthralling, especially because he does my two favorite songs in the show,, Long Walk Home and Brilliant Disguise.
He brought the crowd to a feverish peak with Land Of Hope and Dreams and closed, of course, with Born To Run.
His tribute to Clarence Clemmons on Tenth Avenue Freeze out was very moving.
I know the show is sold out but if you are in or near NYC and can get tickets, this is so worth seeing.
I have tickets to see him again in December and no they are not for sale .
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-17-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Jim H

saw Guns N Roses at Sacramento Golden One Center last Saturday night. They played for three hours but had a problem with the sound system. Nice facility, good seating. Took half of the show before the sound was fixed.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Jim H

saw Guns N Roses at Sacramento Golden One Center last Saturday night. They played for three hours but had a problem with the sound system. Nice facility, good seating. Took half of the show before the sound was fixed.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Richard Simon

Saw Bruce again last tonight.
Definitely as good as the last time I saw him and I still recommend this.
I think a new block of tickets go on sale soon because his run has been extended.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-16-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Man, I wish I could watch these great concerts again.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Bob Davies

Saw Roger Waters a few weeks back with my adult daughters. An act I can see over and over again. Incredible sound, and the girls loved it. Their comments included "I never thought I'd see someone perform those songs live".
Old 01-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I attended my first live concert in 1970. It was absolutely awesome. It featured Bill Haley & the Comets, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Platters, The Drifters,
The Shirelles, The Everly Brothers, The Del-Vikings, and a few more which I cannot remember. You had to be at this 4-hour concert to really appreciate it.

In 1973, I went to Westbury (LI, NY) to a Chicago concert. It was fabulous to hear this Jazz-Rock band.

Twenty years later, my wife and I were at the Valley Forge Music Fair to hear Chicago.

And 2011, my wife and I, Barry and Judy Sloate were in Princeton to hear The Dave Brubeck Quartet. Really, you don't have to be a Jazz enthusiast to appreciate
Brubeck's sound.

. .

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-29-2018, 05:51 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Saw Big Head Todd & The Monsters on Saturday night...great show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:49 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seeing Chicago in 1973 must have been amazing. They really rocked in those days. Check out some of the old videos on You Tube. And Westbury is a great room. Great sound and pretty intimate.

Today I suspect Chicago is pretty watered down but haven't seen them in many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I attended my first live concert in 1970. It was absolutely awesome. It featured Bill Haley & the Comets, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Platters, The Drifters,
The Shirelles, The Everly Brothers, The Del-Vikings, and a few more which I cannot remember. You had to be at this 4-hour concert to really appreciate it.

In 1973, I went to Westbury (LI, NY) to a Chicago concert. It was fabulous to hear this Jazz-Rock band.

Twenty years later, my wife and I were at the Valley Forge Music Fair to hear Chicago.

And 2011, my wife and I, Barry and Judy Sloate were in Princeton to hear The Dave Brubeck Quartet. Really, you don't have to be a Jazz enthusiast to appreciate
Brubeck's sound.

. .

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-31-2018, 09:32 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Seeing Chicago in 1973 must have been amazing. They really rocked in those days. Check out some of the old videos on You Tube. And Westbury is a great room. Great sound and pretty intimate.

Today I suspect Chicago is pretty watered down but haven't seen them in many years.

Hi Steve

Yes....being at the Chicago concert in 1973 at the Westbury Music Fair was absolutely fabulous.

In 1993, some of the names had changed, but Chicago's sound was still amazing.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-05-2018, 11:23 PM
Josh

Not sure if there are any other thrash (or any other genres of metal) on here but is anyone seeing Slayer on their last tour? Sadly there aren't any dates in my home state so I may be taking a trip to see them.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantmorecards77 View Post
Fun day. Ded, Mastodon, Greta VanFleet, Gojira, 5 Finger Death Punch, In This Moment, Rob Zombie, among others.
I met the bass player of Mastodon sort of when he was a little kid. His father, Barry Sanders, is a member of my Olympic collectors group and he is also one of the board members of The National. He sets up there every year.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Todd

Default Good stuff!

That's pretty awesome, Michael!

...Marilyn Manson put on an amazing show in Sayreville, NJ last night (2/16.) Extremely loud and great energy all around.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Jim H

Saw Loverboy last night. Had great seats, first row. During the show the guitarist handed my wife his pick. Two minutes later this guy behind us asked to see it. “It’s autograph” he shouts. I will give you $50 for it? My wife laughed. Are you serious? The guys then says $100. My wife said if it means that much to you you can have it.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:20 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:49 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
Saw Loverboy last night. Had great seats, first row. During the show the guitarist handed my wife his pick. Two minutes later this guy behind us asked to see it. “It’s autograph” he shouts. I will give you $50 for it? My wife laughed. Are you serious? The guys then says $100. My wife said if it means that much to you you can have it.
Awesome!!! Id have atleast taken a drink!!!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Jim H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Awesome!!! Id have atleast taken a drink!!!
I’m thinking that I could get a 1953 Glendale Meats Tiger card with the $100 but since it was my wife’s pick I just kept my mouth shut. I’m teasing her today because she is going to the mall and I mentioned that she could have gotten a pair of shoes for free.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:12 AM
Rich Nelson

Last night took a road trip to The Yum Center in Louisville KY to see Luke Bryan, Kip Moore and The Cadillac Three. Luke and Kip were good as always. Never heard of the other group but really enjoyed them as well.

Next up is Blake Shelton in Columbus OH,a lot closer to home.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn1661 View Post
Last night took a road trip to The Yum Center in Louisville KY to see Luke Bryan, Kip Moore and The Cadillac Three. Luke and Kip were good as always. Never heard of the other group but really enjoyed them as well.

Next up is Blake Shelton in Columbus OH,a lot closer to home.
Not much of a country fan, but always wanted to see Vince Gill. That dude has some voice.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Saw Brian Setzer Orchestra (Stray Cats) recently at a small hometown venue. They were great. Just got tickets to see Steve Miller Band and Peter Frampton at the same venue. Should be a great night of music.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:22 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

I never miss BHTM when they come through...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Richard Simon

Got a few coming up: Van Morrison, Paul Simon, Phil Collins.
--
Old 07-06-2018, 09:53 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Seen any concerts lately?

Started making cards for shows I’ve gone to...

Last edited by Big Six; 07-06-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:02 AM
Michael S.

I was at XFinity for Dave as well. Great show from the pit. I'm going to SPAC for two more next weekend and then Jones Beach for another the following week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Started making cards for shows I’ve gone to...

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 07-07-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I saw these old farts last Friday in Toronto, and it might've been the best concert of my life. They (Rush) are playing MSG on Monday.
I saw Rush back in 1976 via Toronto. Incredible concert!!!
Old 07-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Default Favorite concert

My favorite concert was ELP back in 1974 in Saratoga Springs!!
Old 07-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Tony Quinn

In May I saw Stone Temple Pilots with their new singer. It was at a 600 person capacity club called The Cowan at Top Golf Nashville. One of the most incredible shows I have ever seen. Just saw Train & Hall & Oates last weekend. Hall & Oates was disappointing but Train was very good. Not exactly my cup of tea musically but my wife wanted to go so I went. Next month I see Slayer on their farewell tour with Anthrax, Testament & Lamb of God in downtown Nashville. That should be an AWESOME show, can't wait!
Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

I'm trying to see as many great classic rock artists as possible before they pass on. I always kept my tickets so I started keeping track on a site called setlist.fm according to their database I have now seen 163 concerts of 109 different artists. Now that being said, quite a few were from big events like Live Aid and The opening of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's a pretty good site if you haven't been there. They try and keep track of every concert and set lists of the concerts. Like wikipedia they rely on peoples input.

Now the most recent concert I saw was ZZ Top & John Fogerty on June 24th. I was really impressed with John. Voice is still great and energy is amazing.

The concert I was most happy to see recently was by a man called Rodriguez. I am very late to the boat on this guy. I only watched the documentary "Searching for Sugar Man" this past winter. But it was made in 2012. I don't want to ruin the story but I highly suggest anyone who hasn't heard of him to watch this documentary. It is amazing. Here is a link to watch it free
http://watchdocumentaries.com/searching-for-sugar-man/

Sorry if I posted this before...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rod.jpg (63.2 KB, 201 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 07-14-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:32 AM
D@le Irv*n

Went and seen 38 Special, ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd last night at the Budweiser Stage in Toronto.

What a show is all I can say!!

38 Special was good, ZZ Top were excellent + and Lynryd Skynyrd were Phenomenal.

With only one remaining original member, Gary Rossington, they still sound amazing.
This is rumored to be their last tour so if you get the chance to check them out, do so, you'll be glad you did.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3987608/l...farewell-tour/

Last edited by irv; 08-12-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Saw Frampton and Steve Miller Band a few weeks ago at a small local venue. They brought back a lot of fond memories and still rocked.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I saw Trombone Shorty and the Voodoo Threauxdown tour last night. The night included lot's of New Orleans bands...The New Breed Brass Band, Preservation Hall Band, Galactic and of course Trombone Shorty. Great show!

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 08-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:14 PM
Brandon Bailey

Saw Radiohead in the last night of their North American tour in Philly about a week and a half ago, great concert and Great setlist!
Old 08-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Bob Andrews

In the past week or so I bought tickets for both kd lang (my wife and I are big fans) and Bob Dylan. I last saw Dylan in 1971 and figured there may not be many more chances to see him again. I do understand that his show has the potential to be an epic disappointment but I figure he can't be any worse than Gordon Lightfoot was a couple of years back. That was the only concert I ever walked out of.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I'm trying to see as many great classic rock artists as possible before they pass on. I always kept my tickets so I started keeping track on a site called setlist.fm according to their database I have now seen 163 concerts of 109 different artists. Now that being said, quite a few were from big events like Live Aid and The opening of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's a pretty good site if you haven't been there. They try and keep track of every concert and set lists of the concerts. Like wikipedia they rely on peoples input.

Now the most recent concert I saw was ZZ Top & John Fogerty on June 24th. I was really impressed with John. Voice is still great and energy is amazing.

The concert I was most happy to see recently was by a man called Rodriguez. I am very late to the boat on this guy. I only watched the documentary "Searching for Sugar Man" this past winter. But it was made in 2012. I don't want to ruin the story but I highly suggest anyone who hasn't heard of him to watch this documentary. It is amazing. Here is a link to watch it free
http://watchdocumentaries.com/searching-for-sugar-man/

Sorry if I posted this before...
Hey Randy,
I have seen Fogerty many times but missed this tour.
He is fantastic, full of energy and still in great voice.
--
Old 09-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Bob Davies

Going to see Sam Roberts Band this Saturday.

Blew the wad and am taking my youngest daughter (she's 22 now) to see Sir Paul McCartney on September 30th. Got the "Meet and Greet" package, sound check, and Row 1 seats on the floor. Ouch.

She is about the biggest McCartney fan I have seen. She knows every detail on the Beatles (Goroge's parents birthdays, etc.) you can imagine, and knows even more about Sir Paul. She downloads any new stuff from Paul, and knows every song he's ever made.

If interested, I'll post how the "sound check" was, etc.

If anyone has done this, I'm wondering if he will sign items. Would love to add a signature to my collection.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I'd like to go to this one coming up October 20th in Atlanta--- Chris Stapleton
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 09-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Man that sounds incredible. Have never done that package but have paid good money for premium seats. Best show money can buy.
I know he often will invite someone on stage to play in the soundcheck. If your daughter plays she should bring a sign asking to play with the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post

Blew the wad and am taking my youngest daughter (she's 22 now) to see Sir Paul McCartney on September 30th. Got the "Meet and Greet" package, sound check, and Row 1 seats on the floor. Ouch.

She is about the biggest McCartney fan I have seen. She knows every detail on the Beatles (Goroge's parents birthdays, etc.) you can imagine, and knows even more about Sir Paul. She downloads any new stuff from Paul, and knows every song he's ever made.

If anyone has done this, I'm wondering if he will sign items. Would love to add a signature to my collection.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Richard Simon

Last night at Forest Hills Stadium - Willie Nelson and the man,, Van Morrison.
Never saw Nelson before but I liked his opening half of the show.
I was there for Van Morrison and he did not disappoint for one minute.
An amazing show. 73 years old and Morrison still has it. Touring all the time and never the same set list. Just amazing. I never miss him when he is in NYC.
--
Old 09-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

You won't believe how great a show he does. Is this the first time your daughter has seen McCartney?
--
Old 09-17-2018, 02:25 AM
Bob Davies

I've seen McCartney a couple of times now, once in his own concert, and I went to Desert Trip in Palm Springs in October of 2016.

My daughter Mallory has seen him 6 or 7 times. She is still in school, but saves her money and flies to see him in concert.

When I say she's the biggest Beatles fan I have ever met, I am saying it without prejudice. She has read books and books on them, and knows so much trivia that is kind of mind boggling. She is currently reading a book on George Martin, because you can never know too much about their manager.

"Hey dad, on this song on Revolver, Paul actually rewired George's guitar (because Paul plays left handed), and used George's guitar on the recording."... and stuff like that. It's a bit strange TBH.

I love the idea of a sign and a song. She plays guitar (and I have no musical talent), so that may be something to try. She pretty much plays every song in the Beatles catalog, including Paul's newest stuff. I mean, does anyone even know Paul's latest songs?

I'll keep you posted then, as (I was informed today), it's only 14 days away.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 09-17-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If she has a sign that says PAUL - I KNOW ALL THE NEW SONGS. LET ME PLAY! I can't see how she doesn't get picked to play a song. Musicians love nothing more than people digging their latest album.

Quote:
I've seen McCartney a couple of times now, once in his own concert, and I went to Desert Trip in Palm Springs in October of 2016.

My daughter Mallory has seen him 6 or 7 times. She is still in school, but saves her money and flies to see him in concert.

When I say she's the biggest Beatles fan I have ever met, I am saying it without prejudice. She has read books and books on them, and knows so much trivia that is kind of mind boggling. She is currently reading a book on George Martin, because you can never know too much about their manager.

"Hey dad, on this song on Revolver, Paul actually rewired George's guitar (because Paul plays left handed), and used George's guitar on the recording."... and stuff like that. It's a bit strange TBH.

I love the idea of a sign and a song. She plays guitar (and I have no musical talent), so that may be something to try. She pretty much plays every song in the Beatles catalog, including Paul's newest stuff. I mean, does anyone even know Paul's latest songs?

I'll keep you posted then, as (I was informed today), it's only 14 days away.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Bob Davies

You know what Steve, it doesn't hurt to try. I love the idea!!! I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:02 PM

So how was Sam Roberts? I really enjoy a number of Canadian bands but trying to catch shows here for Arkells, Sloan, Trews, etc is damn near impossible for some reason.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:29 AM
Richard Simon

Last night at MSG. Paul Simon Homeward Bound Tour.
His final tour though he is not retiring, just ending touring.
Terrific show as always.
I have seen him for so many years and he is always terrific.
Who does not like Paul Simon?
Before I got into this business I owned a sweet shop in NYC.
He used to come in once a week for a few cashew nuts .
--
Old 09-22-2018, 02:43 PM

My daughter and I caught Paul Simon in Philly over the summer and it was a fantastic show.
On Thursday, my wife and I saw Mike Nesmith and his First National Band Redux tour in NYC and thouroughly enjoyed it. Small venue but some great guitar playing by his pedal steel payer and by his son, Christian, on lead guitar. The
Old 10-08-2018, 07:10 PM
John

Default XL Center, Hartford, CT

My wife and I saw saw the Eagles October 6th, it was an awesome show.

Don Henley and the crew sounded great.
Deacon looks just like his dad.
John
Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 PM

I saw Joan Baez at the Warner in DC about a week ago. Although her voice shows age, still a terrific show that brought back memories.

I saw Avett Brothers at Wolftrap outside DC earlier this summer. A wonderful venue by the way for those who might have occasion to visit the area. The music and musicianship was outstanding but I found lights shining out from behind the stage annoying.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:47 PM

I went and saw Andrei Rieu a few weeks ago. I did not really know what his shows were like, I figured they would be less pop than it turned out to be. Still was pretty neat.