NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2021, 09:39 AM
J@mes In.gram

Default Let's Talk About Card Shows For A Minute

When I got back into card collecting as an adult, I would estimate that somewhere around 65 to 70 percent of the old cards I have came from card shows. The rest were given to me by folks (relatives) leaving the hobby, and the rest I bought elsewhere or traded for (which is what I do for the most part these days).

The last card show I attended was at the Coral Square Mall, in Coral Springs, Florida some time before we got transferred to Pearl Harbor in 2000. I attended many of them before that, all around Fort Lauderdale, Charleston, Chanute AFB in Rantoul, Illinois and Memphis.

The shows were where you got really good deals. Is that still the case?
Old 06-27-2021, 12:18 PM
Brian Clatfelter

Default Card Shows

I was at a show in Raleigh a few weeks ago and some prices seemed rather inflated. There were some good deals to be had, but you really had to do your homework and check recent sales(eBay). My plan for the National is to really scope out the scene and do my diligence before buying. A few months ago, prices seemed to go up every day, but things have been settling lately. I certainly plan to enjoy the shows, but you do really have to be price conscious so that you don't pay more than you should. It really stinks to buy something for a price and then find that same thing cheaper a few tables over. Good luck to you as you reenter the scene..
Old 06-27-2021, 02:57 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Off Shape Beaters You Will Find Deals, why no upside. People that buy beat cards will always be cheap.

Nice Shape Higher Grade Cards Expect High Prices, they will bring up past sales Jan-March 2021….and the potential for Upside in the future.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:08 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I haven’t been to a card show since I was 10. A lot of the recent vlogs describing what card shows are like now makes me just want to continue to stay in my introverted, online collection life.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 06-27-2021, 03:11 PM
Jeff P

You can still find stuff at card shows but the reality is that the real 'show' is on-line these days. I got to card shows to catch up with friends, leaf through binders, chat with dealers, and occasionally find something I need. Auctions are much more like to turn up interesting things... particularly pre-war that shows are these days IMHO.

jeff
Old 06-27-2021, 03:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just being in the musty environs of a card show always makes it worth it. Just a feast for the eyes and soul, whether or not you walk away with great deals or not. Inhaling the cardboard aroma at someone's table stacked with a wide variety of cool old stuff (what I call The Cardboard Menagerie) reduces stress and adds years to your life. If there's a show taking place near you, go.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:46 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Better at a Flea Market or yard sale then a card show I got these at the endless 301 yard sale in NC back in 2019 I have done better at Flea Markets/Swap Meets then card shows since the 1980's in NJ Pennsy California and NC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 301 002.jpg (76.5 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg 301 003.jpg (74.6 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg 301 001.jpg (75.9 KB, 473 views)

Last edited by rgpete; 06-27-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:00 PM
Drew W@i$e

It’s all online now. You can find a Nolan Ryan rookie in about 2 minutes. Why wait for a show?
Old 06-27-2021, 04:12 PM
Ronald Glenn

Better to see in person than a scan
Old 06-27-2021, 04:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default It Works If You Work It

Like anything else, i find that the more effort I put in at a good sized show the better the results. Just glancing through showcases is not the way to find rare cards and memorabilia; they are often buried in the stacks, boxes and bins. You have to get dirty and dig through the musty, dusty bins of poorly organized stuff. All of these were 'picks' pulled at shows:

Go. To. Work.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-27-2021, 05:21 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Like anything else, i find that the more effort I put in at a good sized show the better the results. Just glancing through showcases is not the way to find rare cards and memorabilia; they are often buried in the stacks, boxes and bins. You have to get dirty. Go. To. Work.
THAT's what I'm talking about. I can't wait to go again!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:03 PM
Ronald Glenn

Flea Market being at the right place and right time all bought at Flea Markets in in NJ and PA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Young 001.jpg (77.4 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg yonamine 003.jpg (74.8 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg cards 002.jpg (78.5 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg World Series 003.jpg (72.7 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg World Series 004.jpg (75.9 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg World Series 005.jpg (65.6 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Coins 001.jpg (70.8 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Nap 002.jpg (75.3 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by rgpete; 06-27-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:14 PM
Chris

I’ve been to a couple of shows. I don’t think your going to find any deals on more widely available, high dollar cards as dealers seem to mark stuff at or above market. I picked up a couple of variations I hadn’t seen on eBay before at eBay prices, so it was good just to see and have the opportunity to buy something new. It’s also great to just walk around and see what everyone is selling and what the auction houses have displayed. Someone else can weigh in, but it might be a good place to pick up cheap cards (I.e., dollar bin cards) if you are a set builder as you save in shipping and tax that would substantially increase the price of any nominal value cards on eBay.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:48 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Like anything else, i find that the more effort I put in at a good sized show the better the results. Just glancing through showcases is not the way to find rare cards and memorabilia; they are often buried in the stacks, boxes and bins. You have to get dirty and dig through the musty, dusty bins of poorly organized stuff. All of these were 'picks' pulled at shows:

Go. To. Work.
Yep. Passion finds da goods!
Old 06-28-2021, 09:42 AM
Hank Thomas

I love and treasure my stuff as much as anybody. I can also handle being alone and left to my own devices as much as anybody. But as I slouch into my twilight years, I realize more and more that what gave my life and the things I did with it the most juice was the PEOPLE I got to know and love through those activities. I remember "Twilight Zone" episodes where extreme introverts got their fondest wish to live in a world by themselves, no other people to bother them, and all the time they could ask for to read their books, or leaf through their card collections, or whatever else they thought was central to their existence. Of course, they soon discovered that it was those other people, bothersome or not, that gave these pursuits their meaning and brought them alive. Just as I feel sorry for anyone who didn't live in the heyday of neighborhood playgrounds like I did and get to experience all of the life-affirming joys, challenges, and life-lessons they gifted me, I likewise am so happy that I was in this hobby during the heyday of shows, where I had so many fabulous experiences of all kinds and made so many great friends I couldn't begin to remember them all. What a joy it was to see so many of the grizzled veterans I shared those with at the recent Philly Show, I could have given them all a big kiss to thank them for being there when we all had so much fun together and for being there still--if they would only shave. I would counsel those recent to the hobby to go to every show you can, no matter how big or small, while they last, I can guarantee that down the road you'll be glad you did, that's where your most enduring and fondest memories will have come from, the associations you developed and all the interesting interactions you had face-to-face. Just a little advice from another old guy pissing in the wind, take it or leave it as you will.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:12 AM
Bill Cauley

I haven't been to a show in about 8 years. Every time I see a show I want to attend I forget about it until a few days after it's already happened. I thought they were great for working on and building my sets that I worked on and got lots of good deals in that regard. Never really bought any big cards at shows.

One thing I did enjoy greatly about card shows was actually seeing some of those bigger cards in person as opposed to a computer screen or magazine. That, and I always see a few things that I'd never known about before and would likely have never known about unless I saw it at the show.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
THAT's what I'm talking about. I can't wait to go again!
Me too; unfortunately, I don't know when that will be since I can't make it to the National this year and there aren't local shows in L.A.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-28-2021, 04:51 PM
Dan Bl@u

I love going to shows because, even though they can be frustrating and there's usually no good prewar and the prices are too high, there's bound to be one card that speaks to me and ends up coming home. And usually it's something that I wouldn't normally collect, so it helps diversify my collection. Here are some of my best card-show pickups. The signed T205 Snodgrass I found raw for barely more than the price of the regular T205 itself. JSA passed it at the show a couple hours later

Old 06-28-2021, 06:19 PM
Bruce Mattioli

I Attend shows to talk with fellow collectors and still attend any I can. Last June during all this lockdown I saw an Ad for an outdoor show in Trumbull CT. I went but It was weird being totally outside with a mask on but it was something during these odd times. I'll remember that along with my Memphis shows I attended while stationed at Blytheville AFB in the 80's and met Mantle.. among others.. Good times..
Old 06-28-2021, 06:23 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
I love going to shows because, even though they can be frustrating and there's usually no good prewar and the prices are too high, there's bound to be one card that speaks to me and ends up coming home. And usually it's something that I wouldn't normally collect, so it helps diversify my collection. Here are some of my best card-show pickups. The signed T205 Snodgrass I found raw for barely more than the price of the regular T205 itself. JSA passed it at the show a couple hours later

Beautiful Turkeys! I need to go to shows with you
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 06-28-2021, 07:53 PM

How about a seller's perspective?

Since the mid 1970s, I have always attended shows as a seller. I've always had a ton of followers/customers who bought from me at every show I attended, and followed me from show to show. It seems like only yesterday but I have set up at every National but the first four.

it's not just the money -- but that helps to continue me buying and enjoying the pursuit of items that I know will sell to specific customers. I might have mentioned it previously, but this year I am returning to my roots and focusing on all four sports, and their vintage stars and rookies. I had abandoned that display 15 + years ago, and had focused on unusual sports and non sports items. I will cut back there but still display items that others can't find or no longer have available to display.

Since I am primarily a Vintage Raw seller, I have nothing invested in PSA grading and have much more room to negotiate. If you see prices at booths that scare you away, test the seller out and see if he or she has room. You don't lose anything by giving it a shot. Without even asking I tend to give everyone at least a 10-15% break. If I don't offer you a break, then I just don't have the room but that is highly unusual.

Stop by at this year's National at Booth 1114, 8 booths in the door facing the food concessions. Drop me a line or call me if you are looking for something I can bring to the show or help you in advance. Either way, enjoy the show if we don't get to talk before then or at the show.

Steve -- DynamicTwo@aol.com
914-522-3853