NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Default 2011 topps update trout rookie. How much higher?

How much higher can this card go? I bought a psa 10 2 yrs ago for $120. Sold it in September for $600. Its now selling for $900!. Wth. My thoughts were it peaked at $600. Its a base card with a high pop so i don't understand why so high

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 AM
octavio ranzola

Default even more money

never mind that look at his 2009 bowman chrome xfractors ,,price of a suv ..omg .
Old 03-28-2019, 04:28 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Trout is experiencing a surge since signing his record deal. If you think the price of his cards is nuts check this out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPTY-2011-...UAAOSw~65cktdA
Old 03-28-2019, 10:29 AM
octavio ranzola

adam lol ...omg
Old 03-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Eric Perry

This pricing is incredible. I stashed away a few raw copies back in 2011 and hadn’t thought about them until I saw this recent price spike.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:42 PM
Ryan Inns

I don't post often but this topic resonates with me as the price of the Trout rookie card, in my opinion, is out of control. Trout is no doubt well on his way to the HoF if he keeps putting up the numbers he normally does but the card prices just seems premature and little like hysteria to me. It reminds me of when Jeremy Lin got big and his rookie cards became astronomically high. One sold for $22K at the peak and recent sales of the same card are now around $1K. Not sure if the Trout cards will subside at some point (my gut tells me "yes") but I would much rather spend that money on high grade card of an already inducted HoF rookie from the 60s or 70s, like a Schmidt for example, as they are harder to get in higher grades and the remaining population is much smaller.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:41 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Not a short print, millions made... serious hype... one serious injury or bad year and prices will settle down IMHO....
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPosadas View Post
I don't post often but this topic resonates with me as the price of the Trout rookie card, in my opinion, is out of control. Trout is no doubt well on his way to the HoF if he keeps putting up the numbers he normally does but the card prices just seems premature and little like hysteria to me. It reminds me of when Jeremy Lin got big and his rookie cards became astronomically high. One sold for $22K at the peak and recent sales of the same card are now around $1K. Not sure if the Trout cards will subside at some point (my gut tells me "yes") but I would much rather spend that money on high grade card of an already inducted HoF rookie from the 60s or 70s, like a Schmidt for example, as they are harder to get in higher grades and the remaining population is much smaller.

The 93 SP Jeter hasn't come down. I also think it's pretty apples to oranges to compare Mike Trout, already one of the greatest players of all time, with Jeremy Lin. Not to mention that Mike Trout has 2 MVP awards. He's not exactly a flash in the pan or flavor of the moment.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The 93 SP Jeter hasn't come down. I also think it's pretty apples to oranges to compare Mike Trout, already one of the greatest players of all time, with Jeremy Lin. Not to mention that Mike Trout has 2 MVP awards. He's not exactly a flash in the pan or flavor of the moment.
I agree the prices aren't premature, he's as close to a lock as there can be, I just think they make little sense in light of the massive quantities of 10s out there.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:21 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I agree the prices aren't premature, he's as close to a lock as there can be, I just think they make little sense in light of the massive quantities of 10s out there.
Agreed. What's the pop on PSA 10s? Four thousand and climbing?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I saw this first in basketball when the Steph Curry rookie went from $8 to $250 a couple of years ago. I would expect the price of his cards will follow the path of his career. I remember times when you couldn’t touch a Griffey, Pujols or McGwire Rookie. Over time, as their careers faded in their 30s so did the prices. If Trouts career settles in a few years his prices will fall. If he continues a GOAT pace his cards are going to be out of sight.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 PM

I'm typically a vintage guy (T206), but have a few "key" modern rookies...2011 Topps Update Trout, 2012 Archives Harper, and a stack of Jeter SP's. All of which have been crushing it. Just wish I bought more!

I also think there's a big upswing this past month due to the big contracts and opening of the Baseball season.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I'm typically a vintage guy (T206), but have a few "key" modern rookies...2011 Topps Update Trout, 2012 Archives Harper, and a stack of Jeter SP's. All of which have been crushing it. Just wish I bought more!

I also think there's a big upswing this past month due to the big contracts and opening of the Baseball season.
Sell into strength!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Marc S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Agreed. What's the pop on PSA 10s? Four thousand and climbing?

Over 4,000 PSA 10s, and over 70% of submissions of this card have been graded PSA 10
Old 04-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Over 4,000 PSA 10s, and over 70% of submissions of this card have been graded PSA 10
I guess low pop would be a misnomer.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Would a PSA 1 become the most desirable grade? Talk about rarity.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:18 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I guess low pop would be a misnomer.
I actually was more excited when I got a BGS 9.5 Bowman Chrome Trout (the standard one, not the Draft) and successfully crossed it to a PSA 10. I thought that was going to be the prize, not the Topps Update. The PSA 10 population is less than 10% of the Update, but I guess that's the one that's become "iconic." Not to mention the one that got voted into the PSA Future HOF registry, teeing it up for the main Post-War Rookie HOF registry.

Last edited by KingFisk; 04-10-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Not to mention the one that got voted into the PSA Future HOF registry, teeing it up for the main Post-War Rookie HOF registry.
I didn't know this; I didn't even know that the registry included a "Future HOF" category. No wonder the price is where it's at, as the registry seems to have a decent impact on a card's market price.
And I had to go look at the checklist...
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...mposition/1512

Many names I'd agree with, although I wonder what happens when some of the questionable names get removed from the registry (does that even happen?). Guys like Manny Ramirez (can't see him in HOF due to PEDs), Sammy Sosa (similar to Manny), Dale Murphy (I can't remember the last time I read a story arguing for his inclusion, seem to have no steam)...
Old 04-11-2019, 03:36 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

People do drop off the future hall of famers list. I'm pretty sure Joe Mauer was on it. Carlos Beltran still is, but probably can get taken off. If you're working the set, you can request they remove people that don't have realistic chances to get elected/selected. I think they will then poll the rest of the people in the set before it gets pulled, if the people working the set agree with you.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
People do drop off the future hall of famers list. I'm pretty sure Joe Mauer was on it. Carlos Beltran still is, but probably can get taken off. If you're working the set, you can request they remove people that don't have realistic chances to get elected/selected. I think they will then poll the rest of the people in the set before it gets pulled, if the people working the set agree with you.

I know there was a thread regarding Mauer’s candidacy elsewhere, but in the context of this PSA list, he would stand better chances than a number of players currently on it, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2019, 06:13 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
You know, I swore Mauer was on it too but the guys on CU Forum said he never was. I have asked them to remove guys like Gonzalez and Palmeiro but never got a response. Not a big deal but that list needs cleaning up....and Harold Baines was never on it!

Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM
C@rl P@rk

Actually it looks like Palmeiro has been booted off of it, so there you have it.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:25 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Apples
To oranges to compare a difficult card to get in high grade the sp jeter to a card relatively easy to get in high grade the trout. Honestly makes no sense at all. Better comparison would have been a topps jeter rookie which doesn’t sell for a ton of money.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Glyn, I agree with your perspective. I will add however, I think a comparison/parallel can be drawn between those two cards, that they each have become the card to get for those players; their most popular/iconic cards.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Glyn, I agree with your perspective. I will add however, I think a comparison/parallel can be drawn between those two cards, that they each have become the card to get for those players; their most popular/iconic cards.
Well, yeah, that's what I was going for. Seemed like a good comparison to me.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

There really isn’t another baseball card for comparison. You have to go to other sports. In basketball you can compare to Jordan, Lebron, Curry or Durant. In hockey, McDavid or Crosby. In football Brady.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Actually it looks like Palmeiro has been booted off of it, so there you have it.

I'd put Larry Walker on that list, and Mattingly.