NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Default 1974 Topps Red Team Checklists - Uncut Sheet

I purchased 3 of these identical sheets off eBay recently. I had thought I was getting a complete set of 24 checklists, but what I received made me curious.

As you can see, the sheet has only a total of 18 teams represented, and is missing 6 (A's, Mets, Padres, Red Sox, Twins and Yankees).

I have to assume this is a sheet which was delivered in response to the wrapper advertisement for "All 24 Team checklists".

My question, if anyone has any memory or information on this, is would Topps have sent 2 sheets? This one and another to make up the other 6 checklists? It seems like a waste when a single 4x6 sheet would be exactly enough to hold all 24 checklists.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (79.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 05-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
I have to assume this is a sheet which was delivered in response to the wrapper advertisement for "All 24 Team checklists".
Out of curiosity, why would you have to assume Topps would send an uncut sheet in response to the wrapper ad as opposed to sending actual cut cards as a set of 24? Seems odd to me that they would send an uncut sheet.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Default Topps Uncut Team Checklists

The adds on the back of the wrappers depict a single sheet being cut by scissors, and I know that from 1975 to 1982, all team checklist redemptions came in the form of uncut sheets of cards.

I've also heard the the previous years' blue team checklists were available late in the season in uncut form as well.

So...
Old 05-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Curt

The team checklist sheets were a very common wrapper deal in the 70s and early 80s. I don't recall ever seeing anything that was cut that you got direct from Topps in that time frame until later when you could win or buy those glossy AS sets in the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you have to assume Topps would send an uncut sheet in response to the wrapper ad as opposed to sending actual cut cards as a set of 24? Seems odd to me that they would send an uncut sheet.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Default 1974 Topps Team Checklist Uncut Sheet

After looking at your picture, I checked my uncut sheet, and mine does have the teams you are missing in the first column. Very strange that your sheet repeats the first column of teams in the 4th column. I wonder if the repeated teams are a result of the way the larger sheet was laid out so when these were cut out that the teams ended up being repeated (essentially resulting in some teams being double printed on the larger sheet), or whether your sheets were some of the earliest sheets printed, with a correction being made at some point to get all 24 different teams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1974 Topps Uncut Checklist Sheet 1.jpg (45.2 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Fleerfan; 05-11-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Adding Picture
Old 05-11-2019, 02:35 PM

Default Team Checklists

You don't have an extra one of those you'd be interested in selling do you?
Old 05-11-2019, 02:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's possible there's another explanation as well. In my mind, and with no other info, I would guess that the sheet in question was simply cut wrong. Perhaps (just speculation) someone in-house noted the miscut and threw the scrap out...and then someone 'rescued' it/them from the Topps dumpster? Of course, it could simply be an error cut that wasn't noticed and got sent out to a kid in 1974. But these cards were included in packs, so they had to go through the 'regular' printing process, too. It's possible that what you have here is a partial uncut sheet and that's why multiples of cards are showing. (This is probably doubtful based on the edges of the sheet being trimmed so closely and correctly, matching what the mailed-out sheets looked like, but it has to be considered, and it's conceivable that it came from late in the printing process.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think Darren has the answer. The sheets were 11 across by 12 cards tall. The team checklist sheets mailed out are 4x6, so fit 2 panels high perfectly, but 2 3/4 panels across. it's likely Topps printed all 11 columns repeating 3 of them. (The other side of the full 264 card press sheet probably had a different 3 columns repeated, so there are probably shortprints just in case anyone cares )
A simple miscutting starting at the wrong edge, and there they are, a bunch of incorrect panels.