NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2019, 06:26 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I do it regularly on items that I want to show up in my bids page, and usually to get rid of a Best Offer option on items; eBay notifies you more often on the app if you've placed a bid than if you just watch it. Then I pay attention to those items and if I want to win it, place a snipe bid at the end. If the bidding exceeds what I would pay, I never bid again. So that's the point. Just another way to watch an item.
This exactly.

When the opening bid price is 99 cents, and the seller has as varied and eclectic material as Jon does, there are bound to be any number of bidders waiting in the weeds for his next round of listings. That one of them catches them within minutes of new listings appearing is not all that surprising to me (I have been OCD enough to do so with sellers' listings by refreshing their store page over and over on days I knew them to be listing, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there are apps that would do the same and send an alert when new items populate). When the starting price is low, it can be easier to place an initial bid on all the items one is interested in than to "Watch" them. I have done this as well with various sellers over the years, particularly when my Watch List nears being maxed out (there is a limit to how many items you can "watch", but there is no limit to how many items you can bid on).

Incidentally, while it's been a while since I've bought from Jon, I have dealt with him a number of times over the years. I'm typically looking for deals to re-sell later, and there are bound to be some from time to time when everything starts at 99 cents. If he was shilling me at any point, he was doing it wrong He always seems to take the "you win some, you lose some" attitude when selling, and continues to grind out auction after auction, all with the same 99-cent starting price that I wish I had the guts to emulate (cuts down on lingering backstock!) While I too have never met him in person, I have never had reason to suspect Jon of any wrongdoing. Ebay bidders can be weird, plain and simple, and it seems unfortunate to me that an odd bidder is causing anyone to doubt Jon's business ethics in this case.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

There is lots of spirited comment but more importantly thoughtfulness and knowledge in this thread. So in an effort to make more clear if shill bidding is occurring lets dig a little deeper. As a group lets take a look at a product not a specific seller or buyer and see if there are notable patterns. I propose we collectively go to ebay, watch and then review biding history for the auction of "1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr PSA 10". A week of observation should do it.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 AM

Default Shill Bidding

I've also had many transactions with the seller identified and have had all good experiences. The seller does have a knack of acquiring interesting vintage lots and consistently starts them with low openers. The fact his lots open quickly probably reflects the size of his following of ebay buyers and that a 99 cent opener makes it easy for bidders to mark the lot and later get to it quickly in their Bids summary for further bidding. I do think it is critical that the ebay community at large is vigilant about shill bidding so it's good that we have these discussions and keep eyes open. Back in 1999 or 2000 I think shill bidding was a factor. At that time, I remember the gossip about two local card show dealers who had a shill bidding arrangement on ebay. Given the ease with which shady people can become sellers, vigilance is a must. In any case we can prevent ourselves from being victimized by always reserving the right to walk away when another bidder is trying to take us where we do not want to go.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Not saying anything about the OP or the seller here but...

Early bidding is a strategy, just like sniping. Say it starts at 0.99 and you immediately bid $50 for a card that typically sells for $60. All the incremental bids come along, they get frustrated after awhile and drop out.

A friend of mine bids early on cards from the 60s and 70s and wins quite a few of them. I did this on a few T206 commons I kept losing on snipes and won a handful.

It CAN work.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athomeatfenway View Post
I've also had many transactions with the seller identified and have had all good experiences. The seller does have a knack of acquiring interesting vintage lots and consistently starts them with low openers. The fact his lots open quickly probably reflects the size of his following of ebay buyers and that a 99 cent opener makes it easy for bidders to mark the lot and later get to it quickly in their Bids summary for further bidding. I do think it is critical that the ebay community at large is vigilant about shill bidding so it's good that we have these discussions and keep eyes open. Back in 1999 or 2000 I think shill bidding was a factor. At that time, I remember the gossip about two local card show dealers who had a shill bidding arrangement on ebay. Given the ease with which shady people can become sellers, vigilance is a must. In any case we can prevent ourselves from being victimized by always reserving the right to walk away when another bidder is trying to take us where we do not want to go.
Hey, congrats on your first post, and welcome to net54!

Your post was on the mark, as the uber-early bidding strategy is most likely a "marker" or just his way to "watch" an item. I really doubt that it's an earnest attempt to win anything. The particular "early-bid guy" in question doesn't place bids of a caliber that would ever win anything. So it must be his way of "watching" or some other odd motive.

As for Shill Bidding... it certainly was not limited to 1999/2000. It's been going strong ever since, and shows no sign of slowing down. Ebay does nothing about it, and any legitimate complaints simply fall on deaf ears. Doing something about it might actually hurt their bottom-line.

Last edited by perezfan; 05-24-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yep, eBay could easily go back to the old days of having visible bidder screennames, and that would reduce the likelihood of shill bidding. But they'd also have to crack down on the number of accounts per household, bid retractions, and failures to pay. Three things they barely do, or pay lip service to.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Hey, congrats on your first post, and welcome to net54!

Your post was on the mark, as the uber-early bidding strategy is most likely a "marker" or just his way to "watch" an item. I really doubt that it's an earnest attempt to win anything. The particular "early-bid guy" in question doesn't place bids of a caliber that would ever win anything. So it must be his way of "watching" or some other odd motive.
Yeah...It's definitely a marker of some kind but I disagree with those that say it's an effective way to watch an item if you seriously want to win it. I've bid on items and then forgot to put them in my watch list and missed out because of it. You don't get the 15 minute warning if it's not in your watch list.

Unless you've maxed out your watch list which I believe is 200 items, I don't see the point.

And that being said...I still haven't figured out how to bid within 56 seconds of an item being listed. That must be an ebay record.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
And that being said...I still haven't figured out how to bid within 56 seconds of an item being listed. That must be an ebay record.
I guess I’d just chalk that up to the bidder happening to be online when the item is listed. I know (recently, too) I’ve picked up items because I happened to be scrolling through new listings and was the first to see a card that hadn’t been there a couple minutes ago.