NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Rich Klein

Default Max Silberman -- Pre Obit

I recieved a very sad email from a mutual friend of ours that Max is now in hospice and will not be with us much longer.

I traded with Max on and off for more than 30 years and we always had a lot of fun talking to each other as well.

This is very difficult for me to write, in this holiday season but I can guarantee you when the time comes, Max will be headed to a better place!

In the words of TS O'Connell who wrote a tribute column to Max several months ago; Max is a mensch and will be missed greatly in the hobby and as one of the key people in the Philadelphia A's historical society

Regards
Rich
Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Max Silberman

This is a very sad note. Max has been a great friend to me and many of us in this hobby.
I first met Max in 1981 at the Willow Grove Show. Besides trading BB cards, we hit it off
because Max is a true "trivia king", and with a great sense of humor. It wasn't that long
ago when I chatted with Max and I was hoping he would recover from his recent illness.

May GOD Bless him and comfort his family.

TED Z
Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Mark Macrae

Rich... I posted the last time, and I'll try not to be repetitive, but met Max at the old Willow Grove shows and enjoyed his regular column in BHN. His wit, enthusiasm for the hobby, personality & character is really what this hobby needs more of. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to meet him.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Barry Arnold

Default max

my prayers are with him and his family.

best,
barry
Old 12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Nick Edson

Default A Hobbyist To The Max

Max embodied all that is good about our hobby. I got to know him when we both were writing columns for BHN many years ago. He was simply a joy to be around. He understood the love for the hobby better than most. I consider my time spent with him to be some of my best times in our hobby. A great man.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 PM

I agree with what you've all said about Max. I've known him since the late 70's and he was always a great guy. He'll definately be missed.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Rich Klein

Default It's Official

Sad news; albeit expected, to go with the other sad news I posed this morning

"Good morning. I am Max's son in law. We want to let everyone know that Max passed away last evening peacefully in his sleep.

Funeral plans are for this Sunday, December 27th. We will email more details to everyone once we have arranged them. You all meant a lot to Max and we appreciate your kindness."

Best regards,

John Scalzi
Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Barry Arnold

Default Max

a great loss.
my heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

in deepest sympathy,

barry
Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Rich Klein

Default Frank Barning; editor of BHN asked me to post this

Max was a prince of a guy, loved our game, adored his collection and family and was a fine friend to many. Others have captured him in their posts here.

In 1979, Max was the very first subscriber to Baseball Hobby News and we still have his canceled check. Soon after he became a columnist and he penned some of the greatest stories we ever had the privilege to publish.

There was a rule in the Baseball Hobby News office, and remember this was before email. The person opening our mail was directed to bring any envelope from Max directly to my office. No matter how busy I was, I shut my door and immediately read what he had written. His tales were always beautifully written, requiring virtually no editing. Max was a brilliant story teller, the rare hobby writer who totally captured the essence of baseball and card collecting, and often with a well-developed sense of humor.

His BHN subscription label included his name, address and the notation, No. 1. To Vivian and Frank Barning Max Silberman will always be No. 1.

Frank Barning
Las Vegas, NV
fbarning@gmail.com

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-23-2009 at 11:16 AM.