NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,834
Default Dick Perez paintings from Legendary

Did anyone pick one up? I know they aren't vintage, but with the subject matter plus the notoriety of Perez in the sports world I didn't know if anyone else here picked one up.

I picked up this one

I liked a few of them and though I have no connection in my collecting to Ernie Lombardi, I loved the action scene of this one.

When I asked my wife if she had a problem with me purchasing it her only stipulation was that it doesn't just get put in storage and was actually hung up somewhere. I could live with that
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Ulidia's Avatar
Ulidia Ulidia is offline
Ciaran
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK (from Belfast, NI)
Posts: 115
Default

I purchased his painting of Tony Lazzeri yesterday. Being honest, I'm not sure it was one of the nicer looking paintings up for sale in the auction but Tony Lazzeri is one of my main collecting interests.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
I purchased his painting of Tony Lazzeri yesterday. Being honest, I'm not sure it was one of the nicer looking paintings up for sale in the auction but Tony Lazzeri is one of my main collecting interests.
I went the opposite way as far as collecting interest vs composition. I like oil on canvas and I really liked this composition of the one I got. There were a few that I couldn't chose between but my wife agreed that she liked this painting. So that helped.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Ulidia's Avatar
Ulidia Ulidia is offline
Ciaran
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK (from Belfast, NI)
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I went the opposite way as far as collecting interest vs composition. I like oil on canvas and I really liked this composition of the one I got. There were a few that I couldn't chose between but my wife agreed that she liked this painting. So that helped.
Yes, undoubtedly that would help

I'm London-based so I will actually get my auction winnings sent to San Diego where my ex-partner lives and she'll bring them with her to meet me in NYC later in spring. Usually, it's just photos ..... so I need to break the news to her that there's a fairly large painting to bring also


I'm actually slightly tempted to see if I can buy one or two of the other Perez paintings that didn't sell.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
Yes, undoubtedly that would help

I'm London-based so I will actually get my auction winnings sent to San Diego where my ex-partner lives and she'll bring them with her to meet me in NYC later in spring. Usually, it's just photos ..... so I need to break the news to her that there's a fairly large painting to bring also


I'm actually slightly tempted to see if I can buy one or two of the other Perez paintings that didn't sell.
I was surprised more didn't sell and that only two of them broke the $1k mark. There were some really nice ones that I would love to have added that didn't get bids.

Of the three I really liked the only one that sold was the one I bought.

The other two I would have bought if I had the money were "Bill Klem" because of the cardinals players (I am in STL) and the "Sam Rice", I liked the Rice because of him showing a young child how to hold the bat. If I had gotten the Rice I would have also tried very hard to get lot 1841 "1910s-40s Philadelphia A's News Service Photos (24) Including 12 Hall of Famers - From Dick Perez's Personal Archive" because it has what appears to be the source photo for the Rice painting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
sayheykid54 sayheykid54 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 81
Default

I realize that Perez is a very respected artist but for my money I would rather have a Graig Kreindler painting. Kreindler has a way of breathing life into old images like no other artist. Just my opinion...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post
I realize that Perez is a very respected artist but for my money I would rather have a Graig Kreindler painting. Kreindler has a way of breathing life into old images like no other artist. Just my opinion...
I agree that Kreindler's paintings are amazing (I skim through his "On the easel..." thread, but that doesn't mean that Perez's aren't worth having also... I would take a Kreindler painting any day at the same price I won the Perez for. I never see any prices on his paintings and I just assume they would stretch me beyond what I can pay (just like buying directly from Perez's site).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,771
Default

Greg...

I'm sure your sentiments are shared by very many (myself included). There was, however, a slight difference in the price realized for the Kreindler, and that of the Dick Perez paintings.

I haven't done the math (and don't intend to), but would bet that all of the Perez paintings added together fell short of the Kreindler masterpiece. And derservedly so, IMHO!


Editing to add that I own a couple of Perez/Perez works, and love them, as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PerezPerez1.jpg (73.3 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg PerezPerez2.jpg (72.5 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 03-01-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Greg...

I'm sure your sentiments are shared by very many (myself included). There was, however, a slight difference in the price realized for the Kreindler, and that of the Dick Perez paintings.

I haven't done the math (and don't intend to), but would bet that all of the Perez paintings added together fell short of the Kreindler masterpiece.

And derservedly so, IMHO!!
As mentioned in my previous post, Kreindler, is a great painter but that doesn't detract from Perez's paintings and the place he has made for himself in sports history. You really can't compare the two painters though, Kreindler is a photorealism painter, whereas Perez allows a little more interpretation through vibrant colors and highlights his paintings are not meant to fall into the photorealism category. It would be like comparing Peter Max (another artist that I would love to own a piece from) and Salvador Dali.

Kreindler and Perez paint the same subject matter but with different artistic POVs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,771
Default

True... and very tempting to go back and look at some of those that didn't sell. If only REA, Lelands and SCP weren't looming on the horizon...

BTW, I love your Lombardi as well. Wonderful image from the '39 World Series. May have been the only high point for the Reds. Great pickup!

Last edited by perezfan; 03-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Dick Perez book... michael3322 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 01-12-2011 05:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


ebay GSB