NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Items you buy over and over again

I've bought 'Who's Who in Major League Baseball' three times now. After a year or two I always sell it, then a year later I have to have it again. Anyone else do this?

By the way (and I'm not selling one), it's the perfect sidekick to the '33 Goudey set.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Pete Sycks

Can't get enough of the big league chew. Also have bought the '52 Bowman Mantle in multiple grades multiple times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big_League_Chew_bubble_gum.jpg (73.9 KB, 341 views)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Henry Nich.ols

58 Mantle's are my downfall will buy and then sell and buy then sell it's a revolving door.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Just wasted 2 hrs figuring out the following. I have a spreadsheet if anyone is interested. If nothing else, it can be sorted by last name.
  • Players from '33 set in the book: 179
  • Players from '33 set NOT in the book: 33
  • Additional players in the book: 181
  • Additional former stars in the book: 31
Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Jim M.arinari

1973 Topps #615

I have probably had 20 of them, never more than 2 at any given time.

I am currently sans.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 AM

There is a Reds pin from the 60s that I love. Not all that scarce or valuable. I must love it, because I have four of them, and if I found another, I would buy it.

Paul
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Paul:

Is it one of these? I'm a sucker for Mr. Red as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedsPins.jpg (74.2 KB, 165 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Hank Thomas

I've bought back several items that I've owned previously, and several more of which I had owned that type of piece at one time. When I need money, I sell, when I have money I buy. I've come to enjoy a certain amount of churn in my collection, and don't ever want to feel like I can't part with anything I have, as evidenced by the recent auction. Probably like all of us, on occasion I think about selling everything, and what I could do with the money, but doubt I ever will.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Peter F

Default Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I've bought 'Who's Who in Major League Baseball' three times now. After a year or two I always sell it, then a year later I have to have it again. Anyone else do this?

By the way (and I'm not selling one), it's the perfect sidekick to the '33 Goudey set.
Scott, when I saw the title of this thread I thought, "yes, I do have something I buy all the time....1933's Who Who in the Major Leagues."

Little did I expect......

I currently own 4 copies in varying conditions including a copy owned by former MLer Max Bishop. I would still like to find a copy with a solid dust jacket.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

A dust jacket would be nice. A board member was going to make me a hi-res scan of his, but at one point I thought I might sell my copy (yet again ), so I told him not to go to the trouble.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
Scott, when I saw the title of this thread I thought, "yes, I do have something I buy all the time....1933's Who Who in the Major Leagues."

Little did I expect......

I currently own 4 copies in varying conditions including a copy owned by former MLer Max Bishop. I would still like to find a copy with a solid dust jacket.
Peter

I would guess you have both the red and purple boards. There is also a ~60 page salesman's sample which has the same cover as the dj. I have a dupe in dj but is probably fair to good at best.

As for my multiple purchases, I have 5 different editions of Brooks's Our Baseball Club and 4 different editions of Everett's Changing Base

Max

Last edited by baseballart; 03-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
A dust jacket would be nice. A board member was going to make me a hi-res scan of his, but at one point I thought I might sell my copy (yet again ), so I told him not to go to the trouble.
I have heard his scanning abilities are suspect at best
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 PM

It is the Mr. Red pin with the inscription from the 1961 WS.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Peter

I would guess you have both the red and purple boards. There is also a ~60 page salesman's sample which has the same cover as the dj. I have a dupe in dj but is probably fair to good at best.

As for my multiple purchases, I have 5 different editions of Brooks's Our Baseball Club and 4 different editions of Everett's Changing Base

Max
yup max, I have both. 60 page salesman sample sounds interesting. As long as we're talking about one of my favorite books, about 10 years ago I got to spend some time with Tiger pitcher Elden Aucker and at the right time I took out Who's Who and he flipped each page and gave me some editorials on each player.....Dale Alexander was a great hitter but he was too slow, Firpo Marberry lost his arm literally, late in life when he had it out the window as a truck went by, and more than i wish i video taped. It was great watching Elden turn the pages and acknowledge basically every player he saw. Great day. Great book.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Max Weder

Old 03-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Peter F

Okay so is that the cover of the salesman's sample and/or the regular issue? (probably both?)
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Coincidentally, just ran across this ad in the back of an old Baseball Magazine:

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 03-01-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Changed for cleaner image
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Coincidentally, just ran across this ad in the back of an old Baseball Magazine:

thanks so much for posting that ad! Its so true. I just read the ad aloud to a buddy who I bought the book for years ago. (my 5th copy!). So true. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Okay so is that the cover of the salesman's sample and/or the regular issue? (probably both?)
Peter

The photo I posted is from the dust jacket from the book. The salesman's sample book has the identical cover, but is softbound

Max
Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Take Me Out to the Ball Game sheet music

I started collecting the sheet music back in 2004 when I realized that there's different pictures of singers on the cover.

I contacted the HOF and they sent me some info - at that time they said there were 11 variations.

Many years later, I was contacted by Tim Wiles - the Director of Research at the HOF. He had written in his book that he thought there was about 30 different copies. But, he only had about 22 listed. I supplied him with the missing names.

I have 28 in my possession - and am - according to him - missing one.

My last pickup - which I waited years to find - Lulu Beeson - a very popular Vaudeville singer - dancer.

Many believe that Sadie Jansel was the "first" printing of the music.

I've never seen anything to fully back that claim tho.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Wow, $3, even in 1933 that seems incredible.

I just sold my third T205 Cobb, which is one of my favorite cards. I'm already looking for another one
Old 03-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Peter

The photo I posted is from the dust jacket from the book. The salesman's sample book has the identical cover, but is softbound

Max
got it Max. thanks for giving me yet another item to search for.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
got it Max. thanks for giving me yet another item to search for.

Wait until I repost the salesmen's sample from Palmer's Athletic Sports