NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2002, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Default question about ebay

Posted By: tom

is it right to end auction early if someone offers to but item before auction ends .if so how do i end auction if i choose to do so

Old 11-01-2002, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I mean -- it's your own choice, but it will develop a negative reputation for yourself.

It is also prohibited by Ebay -- though they would never find out for sure.

Think of it like this -- many of us are snipers and don't bid until the last day or moments of an auction. By placing something up for auction, without letting it run its due course, you are wasting the time, efforts and desires of many potential collectors who wanted your item.

I will not do it as a seller -- though I sometimes ask as a potential bidder just because I know on some of the cards on which I bid -- if I don't, someone else will, and I may really want the card....

Old 11-01-2002, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tom

ty but if there r no other bidders wouldnt it be like a buy it now

Old 11-01-2002, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

As a buyer, if there was an item I wanted badly, I would contact the Seller and ask him to add a "BIN" and then email me.

...and I do get irritated when someone stops an auction that I was waiting to snipe, even though there are no bids. This never happens if it is an item I want REALLY badly, because if I want it that much I will make the seller an offer before someone else does.

As a seller, I have done some things that I no longer do, mainly because of potential bidders who emailed me saying they planned to bid late in the auction and were upset that I stopped it. Like Marc said, it gives you a bad reputation and it isn't worth it. I NEVER stop auctions that have even one bid, unless there is a problem with the listing - I screwed up once and did this because of a miscommunication. It was embarassing, but I felt it better to end the auction than to renig on a previous agreement. The only safe thing to do is once you list an item, let it run to it's possibly horrible conclusion.

Old 11-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

In the first place I think 10 day auctions are a waste of everybody's time. Scott you said yourself most of us snipe at the last minute anyway, why make us wait ten days. Three day auctions are the way to go. What do you think? Rob

Old 11-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

10 days are waste both of time and the extra money it costs, but 3 days is way too short. Not everyone access the internet as frequently as we do, so want to get maximum exposure for lot.

Jay

Old 11-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

My feeling is, that if there are no bidders, it's acceptable to end an auction and sell it outright. If there is a single bid, then the auction should go to the end. This is only my opinion, and I'm not telling others what to do or what they should do.

My rule of practice is that I do not stop an auction to sell, even with no bids, unless there are extremely compelling reasons (I'm not talking fiancial).

Old 11-02-2002, 08:01 AM
Administrator

When the market was hot, I ran 5-day auctions rather than 7-days, and thought 10 days were a waste. What I'm finding now is that fewer people are scouring ebay for cards the way they used to (including me), so I get a better return by giving the card extra exposure - and the additional cost is almost nothing (I think 10 cents?). I think that once the card market picks up again I can go back to 7-day or even 5-day auctions.

Old 11-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I have been setting all my auctions lately for 10 days because with the glut of trash from libertyforall and massive listings of series cards, it takes a lot of patience and persistence to search through everything. Granted 10 days makes some cards seem "stale" but if a sniper finds something he is looking for, he can just simply set his software and forget about it, or if not using the software, can bookmark it in "my ebay" and come back to it. Getting rid of the 1930-1950 cards has helped, to a degree, but as a sometime seller I find that you occasionally need that 10 day exposure to have your items seen.

Old 11-02-2002, 02:14 PM
Administrator

My feeling is that, considering the time to take/upload pictures and write the little description, I'm going to milk it for all it's worth (10 days).

Old 11-02-2002, 02:18 PM
Administrator

...at least. Also, now I can list items whenever I have free time, rather than waiting until "ideal auction time" and then trying to get them all done at once. The final advantages are that it is much more user friendly and you can create folders within the tool to store your listings, then up-load to ebay whatever and whenever you are ready. I keep folders according to categories (cards,publications,gloves, etc.), then move items to an auction folder to prepare.

Old 11-02-2002, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Agree. I use and like turbolister. I'm an a nightowl by nature, and turbolister allows my auctions to start when the rest of the world is awake, not just me and other midnight fauna.

Old 11-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

where/how do you get turbolister?

Jay

Old 11-03-2002, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

I was begining to think you knew everything!
Go to "listing features" on e-bay contents page amd you'll find it as one of the listing options!

I only won one of the "G" cards! But according to you it was the correct one! : )

Old 11-03-2002, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Monsta

but having sold a few things on the bay like many others here, I have found that EVERY time someone has contacted me to buy the item outright, I received a HIGHER bid (sometimes much higher) when I let the auction ride out. I actually think you should ride it out because if someone is so interested in it, I bet many others as indicated in this thread are waiting to snipe it.

Old 11-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

So what is this guys excuse. Stopped auction on the last day because he just remembered he needed the card for his collection? Check out reason on bid history. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1576220052&rd=1

Old 11-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Monsta

You'll never really know as others have pointed out but I bet he decided to sell short of his "BIN" price because there was very little action. YOu can't believe the reasons, they're BS. It's an easy way out.

Old 11-03-2002, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Lee takes the podium...

Old 11-03-2002, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Hi, I was the one that pulled that card off. The options ebay gives you are not the same for cancelling bids and cancelling the auction. My explanation was the truth, I also acidentally sold a T206 Crawford I needed for my collection last week, didn't realize it until after the auction, but the second bidder inquired about the BIN price which was $38, he said he was willing to pay that price, which i agreed to since he bought 5 more of my cards on the Buy Now.
I personally have inquired with sellers about BIN prices if the minimum is met, because there are to many people that put that small bid in and whip out the BIN when someone might be willing to pay the BIN.

I will now be looking for a replacement for the T206 Lajoie.

Old 11-03-2002, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

By the way it was not the last day of the auction if you look at the list ing time, it was a 5 day auction.

Off to work.

Old 11-03-2002, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Hum not 5 days it started on Oct 29 and ended on Nov 2. It was stoped on Nov 2 lets see adds up 5 days to me. I think.

Old 11-03-2002, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Some guy named 'runscott' has a beautiful Lajoie portrait running for another 7 days.