NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Anybody here collect programs?

I guess I am thinking primarily of 1960s AFL programs but really any football program. I have been looking at AFL programs on ebay, and I am absolutely blown away by the art work/graphics. Anyone have any football programs(college or pro) to show?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Todd Tobias

I've had hundreds of AFL programs (mostly Chargers) over the years. Now is a pretty good time to purchase them, at least the Chargers ones. You can not get some early 60s Chargers programs for $25-$50 apiece, when they were in the $200-$300 range a few years ago. The price on Chargers stuff has taken a huge hit since the move.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLfan View Post
I've had hundreds of AFL programs (mostly Chargers) over the years. Now is a pretty good time to purchase them, at least the Chargers ones. You can not get some early 60s Chargers programs for $25-$50 apiece, when they were in the $200-$300 range a few years ago. The price on Chargers stuff has taken a huge hit since the move.
I may try and make some offers. Many prices are still in the stratosphere.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
The price on Chargers stuff has taken a huge hit since the move.
This is such a bizarre situation that I can't wrap my head around it. I would think vintage Charger stuff from San Diego would go UP in value after a move.

What do you think caused this, Todd? Local collectors fed up with Spanos?

jeff
Old 09-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Todd Tobias

Yes. So many people have just said "screw it" to the entire franchise. Spanos was certainly the source. It's a shame because the team actually has great history despite not winning a Super Bowl. But Spanos just absolutely killed the fan base.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Yes. So many people have just said "screw it" to the entire franchise. Spanos was certainly the source. It's a shame because the team actually has great history despite not winning a Super Bowl. But Spanos just absolutely killed the fan base.
Even for a life long fan outside of the west coast, it is all unsettling. I even have read talk about totally rebranding the team when the new stadium opens. If that happens, I am done. I would still collect the team from a historical perspective, but my ongoing fandom (lukewarm as it currently is) would end. It is all totally unnecessary. This franchise has a rich and colorful history and has had some wonderful teams, players, and coaches! The current ownership (I won't even use the name) is just about the worst in all of professional sports history! We need someone to come riding in on one of those white Charger horses depicted on the early 60s programs to save the day!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 03:56 PM

1933 Championship signed by Michael Moran, on Flickr

Last edited by revmoran; 09-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
It sounds like you were very lucky to have sold some stuff off prior to (if memory serves me correctly). Sorry to hear about this though because I know how much the team means/meant to you.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 AM

Anybody here have a large collection? NFL, college, maybe some other leagues? I'm always trying to track down photos of obscure players and thought maybe someone here may have a collection to pick through.
I've exhausted the internet: team sites, eBay, google, yearbook.com, college digital collections. Not sure where else to look.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Cool stuff, Jeff. Thanks for sharing those.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Mike

Nice programs! I have a 1968 Jets program. I'll see about posting a pic within the next couple of days.

Mike
Old 09-18-2017, 03:54 PM

These last three programs were all on or following fateful days in American History

Last edited by revmoran; 09-18-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Casey Moore

Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 AM
Jeff P

I like your "fateful day" series, Mike. Definitely an interesting set of collectibles with historical significance. Do you have other dates you are looking for programs to add to this collection?

Love that Olympic program, too, Casey. The colors on the front are spectacular.

jeff
Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore330 View Post
That's a great program. The American who carried the flag in the opening ceremonies was F. Morgan Taylor. He and my father were friends and football team-mates at Grinnell College until Taylor won the gold medal for the hurdles in the 1924 games - that took him off the football field. Taylor was also in the 1928 Olympics and is in the Track and Field Hall of Fame.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Guys, thanks for all the replies and inspiration. Since starting this thread, I have realized a couple of things:

1. I really like programs and would perhaps like to buy some tickets that go along with individual programs.

2. There are a million different programs out there, and I need a focus. While I like AFL and may buy some of those programs, I really like college football and bowl games. Aside from bowl games, I would like to buy programs that are at least semi-connected to some historical event. Those won't be as easy to locate, but perhaps I will get lucky!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Guys, thanks for all the replies and inspiration. Since starting this thread, I have realized a couple of things:

1. I really like programs and would perhaps like to buy some tickets that go along with individual programs.

2. There are a million different programs out there, and I need a focus. While I like AFL and may buy some of those programs, I really like college football and bowl games. Aside from bowl games, I would like to buy programs that are at least semi-connected to some historical event. Those won't be as easy to locate, but perhaps I will get lucky!

Now you're rolling, Robert! Can't wait to see what you pick up.

jeff
Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Now you're rolling, Robert! Can't wait to see what you pick up.

jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I am starting to have a better idea of what I think I might want to try. As a kid, I was crazy about the bowl games. Ebay has a great selection of programs and tickets. Is there another good source other than the bay?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:21 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

A question that has come up during my AFL program searches: do you care if an otherwise nice program has been three hole punched?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Casey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post

It's definitely fun to chase down the ticket with the program, too!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore330 View Post
It's definitely fun to chase down the ticket with the program, too!

That is a cool piece! It would be fun to buy some older bowl game programs and tickets.