NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-10-2024, 09:26 PM
John Gregory

Default Hostess Boxes

Knowing that most boxes have been cut down to either a three-card panel or individual cards, about a year and a half ago, I have decided take on the fun challenge of collecting full boxes, preferably unused boxes, from all the years ('75 through -79) that Hostess included baseball cards on their boxes. I thought that I knew all the various Hostess desserts that were available at the time. But there is one being advertised on eBay that is a dessert called Choco-diles. I don't remember this variety being offered down here in Houston and I'm finding minimal information when I google this. Was this a regional dessert? What years was it available. And should this dessert box be considered more challenging to find relative to the others?

Here is the link to the one offered on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/13464371720...Bk9SR4zFnOyeYw
Old 01-10-2024, 09:33 PM

Had never heard of them either, John, but Wikipedia seems to have all the info about chocodiles, which is basically a chocolate covered twinkie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocodile_Twinkie

Last edited by CW; 01-10-2024 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:16 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Chocodiles were always a rare find when I was growing up and were always purchased when found. I remember getting excited anytime we would actually find chocodiles (they still make them sometimes but aren’t as good as when I was a kid)

I am too young to have collected Hostess cards when issued so can’t answer that question.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 01-13-2024 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:14 AM
Mark

I believe Chocodiles debuted AFTER 1979. I don't believe they ever had baseball cards.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

The wikipedia post gives a couple clues.
It looks like it was a west coast thing.

The box, unless it's a really great fake is right there.

I was working in a Cumberland farms when they either started selling them in eastern Mass, or started promoting them. That was 1982 or early 83.

I suspect it was a west coast regional thing they eventually took nationwide, then as money problems came years later, they cut back.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:25 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I believe Chocodiles debuted AFTER 1979. I don't believe they ever had baseball cards.
Actually, it seems they were available as far back as 1977. Several newspapers had ads for them in 1977 -1979, but I did not see any in a spot check from 1976:
This from the Houston Herald May 19, 1977:
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:11 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Chocodiles and Funny Bones (I know, not the same mfgr.) were the bomb.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:49 PM
John Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Mark,

I thought I knew all the boxes that the Hostess cards appeared on until I saw this eBay add in the early fall for a 1979 Choco-diles complete box of for sale that contained baseball cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13464371720...Bk9SR4zFnOyeYw

This was new to me and thus my questions as to how widespread Choco-diles were distributed and were the card containing boxes only available in 1979 or were they also sold during all the other years that Hostess included baseball cards on their boxes.

I grew up in Houston and don't ever remember seeing this dessert in the grocery stores but apparently, they were sold in Houston in 1977 per the newspaper add that Todd found.

I'm really curious as to how scarce complete boxes of Choco-diles containing baseball cards really are.
Old 01-12-2024, 11:40 PM
Mark

I do know that many of the snacks featuring milk chocolate coatings were not easily available in the south. I lived in Atlanta and we never got ho-Hos. We were told it was because the melted in shipment.
I'll bet Chocodiles met the same fate and only shipped to moderate climate areas.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:35 AM
Todd Schultz

It would seem from newspaper ads during 1977-79 that Chocodiles were available throughout a large segment of the country, although not everywhere. Here is a map showing in color the states where these newspaper ads ran--the darker the color, the greater number of reference points.

This is somewhat at odds with google research that makes anecdotal statements that Chocodiles were largely a West Coast product.

Newspapers.com did not show any reference to these snacks in 1975 or 1976, and the packaging shown in the 1977 ads refers to Chocodiles as "new", so it's likely that there will be no Hostess-related baseball cards found from this product until at least 1977.

Hope that helps.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:00 AM
John Gregory

Wow, great investigative findings Todd! Thank you. That definitely confirms the thought that during the 70's, the Choco-diles were more of a regional desert. That would also support the thought that the Choco-diles boxes containing baseball cards are also scarce when compared to all other Hostess desserts.

We know that in 1979, Choco-diles did have baseball cards on their boxes (this, per the one currently for sale on eBay). Now the million-dollar question is whether or not the Choco-diles boxes had baseball cards in 1977 and 1978.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

I think they were very regional.

The store I worked for only had the single packs, no boxes. And after the cards were a thing.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:54 PM
M-@-t-t--H-@-f-f-n-e-r

Default Hostess Complete Boxes

Before COVID I had been collecting the complete boxes since I like them more than the panels. I haven't seen any lots available in the last few years and the single boxes are now out of my price range.

I only have 45 different boxes but they are from Suzy Qs, King Dons, Cup Cakes, Crumb Cakes, Twinkies, HoHos and BigWheels.

I never heard of King Dons or Big Wheels as a kid in Chicago, but they look just like Ding Dongs which I don't have a box of yet.