NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Default Help with Ty Cobb signed photo's at a local auction..."Ace" Authentication?

Hey guys, I was bored browsing around estate sale websites and came across a VERY local sale that is happening this Saturday. Listed are a bunch of signed photographs, 2 from Cobb, Lajoe, Speaker, Robinson, and a few more. The 2 of interest for me are the Cobb photo's and they're listed at pretty decent prices. The first one appears to be a Polaroid of his HOF plaque signed at the bottom, and the second is described as a signed wire photo.

All of the autographs in this sale are certified by Ace Authentication. I have never heard of them and was wondering what you guys thought of the samples below. Any help would be much appreciated on what you think of authenticity, and maybe if you could throw in a value? The sooner the better as this sale is Saturday. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103-1.jpg (28.3 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg 103.jpg (52.7 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg 201-2.jpg (36.4 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg 201-1.jpg (49.2 KB, 470 views)
Old 12-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Dan Bretta

I believe ACE Authentication is Justin Priddy's company...he's right up there with Stat and Chris Morales. IOW junk.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Jeff

Utilize the "Search This Forum" function and type in ACE.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 12-15-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Dan Bretta

Brandon, would you mind posting the link to the estate sale? Maybe if enough of us send them a note they'll do the right thing and pull the items from their sale.

ACE is located in Villa Park, Ca...where is this estate sale at? Odd that recently authenticated signatures show up in an "estate" sale.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Jeff

To me the two Cobbs signatures vary in slant and some other characteristics from each other.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Brandon, would you mind posting the link to the estate sale? Maybe if enough of us send them a note they'll do the right thing and pull the items from their sale.

ACE is located in Villa Park, Ca...where is this estate sale at? Odd that recently authenticated signatures show up in an "estate" sale.
The sale is in Anaheim, CA. I didn't even notice that the date of authentication was December 5, 2011...Maybe the sellers just thought it'd be better to have a COA and didn't know ACE's history? I'm going to attach some of the other signatures, let me know what you guys think of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 125.jpg (16.2 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg 104.jpg (60.3 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg 187.jpg (32.5 KB, 455 views)
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Auction

In this day and age its BS if an estate auction does not properly research a piece-ignorance is not a defense. If they are advertising a COA even though its a known fraud then shame on them. The only caveat would be if the auctioneer during the auction adds his own commentary to a piece(reporting faults, update condition reports, reiterates an unrecognized cert, etc...
Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Nobody has thoughts on these other autographs? I thought one of the guys would give an opinion on the others...
Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonG View Post
Nobody has thoughts on these other autographs? I thought one of the guys would give an opinion on the others...
I wouldn't even know where to start when giving an opinion on autographs...what I do know is that if it has an ACE cert it's almost guaranteed to be bad.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Wasn't ACE the company that certified all those fake Babe Ruth autographs that guy was trying to sell with his Mathewsons?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Thoughts

My thoughts on the other autos-all bad....What more do you want to hear?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesbb6 View Post
My thoughts on the other autos-all bad....What more do you want to hear?
Really what I was looking for was something along the lines of, regardless of the ACE connection, even if I didn't mention ACE, that the autos were no good. But I'm getting that vibe anyway so I'm satisfied, I'll stay away.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Adam B

Quote:
The sale is in Anaheim, CA. I didn't even notice that the date of authentication was December 5, 2011...Maybe the sellers just thought it'd be better to have a COA and didn't know ACE's history? I'm going to attach some of the other signatures, let me know what you guys think of these.
I know that I wouldn't buy any of these with or without an Ace cert. The autographs on the sheet look to be done by the same hand.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Cobb on a Polaroid?? I know Polaroid has been around awhile, but that particular type of picture wasn't around til the '70's was it? My Brother had a late '60's Polaroid and they were still the peel type film. That picture is on the "blow on it" variety that came out much later after he was dead I really think. Anyone else???
Old 12-15-2011, 09:21 PM
David Linardy

Default lots of ace surfacing

Gents,

Take a look a this antiques and collectibles auction... Boatload of questionable stuff all authenticated by ACE

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...&kwd=ty%20cobb
Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Gents,

Take a look a this antiques and collectibles auction... Boatload of questionable stuff all authenticated by ACE

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...&kwd=ty%20cobb
Ya geez, what a bunch of crap. The Cobb looks just like the one in the first post I made. And everything looks like it's on the same type of paper. Well guys glad I posted this thread, I'll just stick to the baseball! lol.

PS I think the first auto process Polaroid was 1960.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Doug Goodman

I have a Joe Jackson polaroid, know I know where to get it authenticated.

Thanx!
Doug
Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
This piqued my curiosity and it seems polaroid photographs can be dated via the date code on the photo, if one knows how to decode it. (Or, more accurately, you can date when the film was manufactured, with the usual assumption being that it was used within a few months of that date).

That being the case, I've done some preliminary searching, but haven't turned up anything that describes how to pull a date from the code. My understanding is that law enforcement agents have long been able to contact Polaroid customer service to determine the date of photos relating to an investigation, though I don't know if that still holds true (assumedly they would have to contact Fuji now). It seems to me though that someone somewhere would have made public the method for dating these photos.

So, anyone know something I don't that they would care to share?

(5 minutes later)
And of course, within minutes of posting the original question, I happened upon a document with the answer. In case it proves helpful to anyone, I found it here:

http://gawainweaver.com/images/uploa...olaroid_ID.pdf

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 12-15-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Edited to add answer to my own question
Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Cobb on a Polaroid?? I know Polaroid has been around awhile, but that particular type of picture wasn't around til the '70's was it? My Brother had a late '60's Polaroid and they were still the peel type film. That picture is on the "blow on it" variety that came out much later after he was dead I really think. Anyone else???
Randall,
Good catch! Nothing like stating what should be the obvious and making this whole topic a no-brainer....
Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I have a Joe Jackson polaroid, know I know where to get it authenticated.

Thanx!
Doug
LOL Doug! That's a good one!!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Ya geez, what a bunch of crap. The Cobb looks just like the one in the first post I made. And everything looks like it's on the same type of paper. Well guys glad I posted this thread, I'll just stick to the baseball! lol.

Brandon,

No worries! Your baseball expertise is exceptional. It's great to have a guy like you around as a resource. I'm not even an early baseball collecting guy, but I can't wait to pick up your book on a topic that I would love to know more about.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 AM

Ty Cobb died before Polaroid photos were introduced.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Brandon,

No worries! Your baseball expertise is exceptional. It's great to have a guy like you around as a resource. I'm not even an early baseball collecting guy, but I can't wait to pick up your book on a topic that I would love to know more about.
Scott thanks a bunch! We just had 2 sample books made up, it's moving along very well now. Thanks for the support!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Scott

The Speaker doesn't look too bad. The Jackie. eh. hard to say. on the A's sheet, the Grove and Hoyt..YUCH. unless they were drunk.

I defer to more expert opinons overall, but these guys rep is really pretty bad. That said, even a Broken clock is right twice a day, so they may get some right along the way too.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

Tried to do some research online. As far as I can tell, pack film (which is what that photo is cause it has the wide bottom border where the chemical pack is held before it gets squeezed out to develope the picture) came out in 1963 two years after Cobb was dead. It was all roll film before that. So, you know...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Tried to do some research online. As far as I can tell, pack film (which is what that photo is cause it has the wide bottom border where the chemical pack is held before it gets squeezed out to develope the picture) came out in 1963 two years after Cobb was dead. It was all roll film before that. So, you know...

Well, Cobb musta used a "Ghost signer"
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
The Speaker doesn't look too bad. The Jackie. eh. hard to say. on the A's sheet, the Grove and Hoyt..YUCH. unless they were drunk.

I defer to more expert opinons overall, but these guys rep is really pretty bad. That said, even a Broken clock is right twice a day, so they may get some right along the way too.
This is exactly the way that I saw it as well...

Last edited by perezfan; 12-16-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
This is exactly the way that I saw it as well...
As far as I'm concerned one bad egg spoils the lot. I just don't think anyone goes to ACE, STAT, Morales, etc unless they know what they have is bad already. If the Speaker looks okay it's probably just a good forgery.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
As far as I'm concerned one bad egg spoils the lot. I just don't think anyone goes to ACE, STAT, Morales, etc unless they know what they have is bad already. If the Speaker looks okay it's probably just a good forgery.
Completely agree.... and same for the Robinson, and the rest of the team sheet. Would not touch any with 10 ft. pole...
Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Richard Simon

Found this online.
Sellers description - "Fabulous 8x10 sepia image of the Bambino with bat in hand boldly inscribed and signed with wonderful ink contrast and gorgeous displayability--You won't find one nicer for less! COA from Justin Priddy/ACE Authentication."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth-ace.jpg (70.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg ruth-ace-close.jpg (69.2 KB, 180 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-16-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Barry Sloate

That inscribed Ruth photo is one of the worst I have ever seen. It is inconceivable that any authenticator could pass it. It's choppy, it's in dark brown ink that shows no aging, everything you could think of is wrong with it. An absolute outrage!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
That inscribed Ruth photo is one of the worst I have ever seen. It is inconceivable that any authenticator could pass it. It's choppy, it's in dark brown ink that shows no aging, everything you could think of is wrong with it. An absolute outrage!
what he said. wow
Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Steve Zarelli

One of the Cobb's is now on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:B:SS:US:1123
Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

poof... gone
Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
poof... gone
What a shame
Guess the ebay police must be doing their job.
And since KOC gave it his "like" approval I will also say "Keyser Soze"
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-22-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: addtl. info
Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Since we're changing +1 to Like, can we go ahead and change poof...gone to Keyser Soze?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Since we're changing +1 to Like, can we go ahead and change poof...gone to Keyser Soze?
Or gone to where the fishes sleep?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post