NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-07-2019, 08:50 AM
Sportscards1086's Avatar
Sportscards1086 Sportscards1086 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 31
Default

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:33 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Collin$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I love that Clemente card and the nice ones continue to get more expensive! Hopefully this one lasts me a while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure if I should be thanking you or not, lol...but your post inspired me this week and since I was indecisive, I now have not one, but two '56 Clementes on their way to me - an SGC 5.5 and a BVG 5. Will have to decide between the two at some point I suppose. Oy....will post pics when they arrive.
__________________
Mid- to lower grade 1950's-70's HOF singles.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Collin$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscards1086 View Post
Nice. That card can be a bear to find without at least moderate print damage on the black background.
__________________
Mid- to lower grade 1950's-70's HOF singles.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Sportscards1086's Avatar
Sportscards1086 Sportscards1086 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Nice. That card can be a bear to find without at least moderate print damage on the black background.
Very tough indeed and PSA was tough on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Collin$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 918
Default January Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscards1086 View Post
Very tough indeed and PSA was tough on this one.


They are tough on everything recently with the lighthouse slabs. I have a '62 Mantle PSA 5 that I feel the same way about. I can show you at least several 6's on eBay right now that look at least no worse...
__________________
Mid- to lower grade 1950's-70's HOF singles.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Sportscards1086's Avatar
Sportscards1086 Sportscards1086 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
They are tough on everything recently with the lighthouse slabs. I have a '62 Mantle PSA 5 that I feel the same way about. I can show you at least several 6's on eBay right now that look worse.
Yes, I've compared mine as well to other 6's and I just don't get it. Was thinking about cracking out and going with BVG on it lol.

Would kike to see your PSA 5 as well.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Collin$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscards1086 View Post
Was thinking about cracking out and going with BVG on it lol.



Would kike to see your PSA 5 as well.

Yeah, don’t do that. Any Mantle PSA 5 is going to be worth more than a BVG 6 or probably even higher. Especially if centered well. BVG I actually think is a decent service, but it’s all antimatter when it’s time to consider resale. They simply aren’t respected at the same level.

Here is my ‘62 Mantle:




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mid- to lower grade 1950's-70's HOF singles.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-10-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Sportscards1086's Avatar
Sportscards1086 Sportscards1086 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Yeah, donít do that. Any Mantle PSA 5 is going to be worth more than a BVG 6 or probably even higher. Especially if centered well. BVG I actually think is a decent service, but itís all antimatter when itís time to consider resale. They simply arenít respected at the same level.

Here is my Ď62 Mantle:




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. I'll leave it as is and just enjoy it. Your Mantle is super clean! Can't believe that's a 5. Premium for sure on that one. Congrats on that 62 either way.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Collin$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscards1086 View Post
Agreed. I'll leave it as is and just enjoy it. Your Mantle is super clean! Can't believe that's a 5. Premium for sure on that one. Congrats on that 62 either way.
Thanks. Yeah, undergraded unless there was just something odd under the blacklight or something else weird that cannot be seen. The corners all have touches, but still come to fairly sharp points. Centering, surface, and gloss not an issue. If you tilt to an extreme angle, there is a bit of light edge damage on one side as viewed from the back, but it took me almost a month even to find that...maybe that was it. I've seen worse corners on a 6 and plenty of way worse corners on garden variety 5's. Oh well, is what it is. I paid more than VCP for a 5, but way less than a 6. I'll take it.
__________________
Mid- to lower grade 1950's-70's HOF singles.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-10-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Topcat79 Topcat79 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Yeah, don’t do that. Any Mantle PSA 5 is going to be worth more than a BVG 6 or probably even higher. Especially if centered well. BVG I actually think is a decent service, but it’s all antimatter when it’s time to consider resale. They simply aren’t respected at the same level.

Here is my ‘62 Mantle:




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very nice Mick. Here’s mine that I think looks great for a 4. I always liked his 62 for some reason.


Last edited by Topcat79; 01-10-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
January pickups NewEnglandBaseBallist Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 147 02-01-2015 01:22 AM
January pickups GrayGhost Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 81 01-30-2015 12:52 PM
January Pickups freakhappy Football Cards Forum 7 01-29-2013 06:06 PM
January Pickups t206blogcom Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 83 01-29-2013 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.


ebay GSB