NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Bill Gregory

Well, I'll select one that I have not seen mentioned. Super Bowl XXXII. The defending champion Packers were 11.5 point favorites over the Broncos.

I've tried my best to forget the game. It's still painful. It was the first of many games in which Brett Favre's mistakes just killed us. Of course, he didn't let Terrell Davis run wild. Gabe Wilkins tweaked his knee in the first quarter, but wouldn't go back in, and his replacement, Darius Holland, was a third stringer. That, coupled with Reggie White and Gilbert Brown were just too slow and banged up to do anything to slow Davis.

It's the greatest sports disappointment of my life, right up there with the '82 Brewers loss in the World Series, and the Packers going 15-1 only to lose in the playoffs two years ago. Oh, and Favre's numerous postseason chokes-the 5 pick game against the Rams, 4th and 26 against the Iggles, the loss to Vick and the Falcons at Lambeau, the pick in overtime of the 2007 NFC Championship Game at Lambeau (where he had Ryan Grant wide open in the middle of the field, which would have put them in field goal range).

Grr! LOL.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 07-27-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: corrected the line to 11.5
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Jeff C.

Upset beats Man O' War. Speaking of horse racing, anytime that a potential triple crown winner is beaten at Belmont. Big Brown anyone?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Alan U

A few more to consider:

Red Sox coming back from down 0-3 to beat Yankees and WS win (a Cubs WS win would beat that though)

USSR over USA in 1972 basketball (although highly disputed)

NC State run to NCAA basketball championship
Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
Whats the greatest upset in Sports History? Buster Douglas defeats Tyson imo.
I'd have to go with this one off the top of my head, as well as David's Spinks beating Ali.

Sincerely, Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 08-03-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Banned

Corrie Sanders beating w. klitschko for the wbo crown. one of the biggest boxing upsets. See my avatar.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-04-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Al Richter

Default Improbable comebacks

This is just my personal favorite, which only another Cardinals fan would appreciate

Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
This is just my personal favorite, which only another Cardinals fan would appreciate

+1

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Yankees View Post
1980 Team USA Hockey VS Soviet Union, USA goes on to win gold
Absolutely, a group of college kids cobbled together versus a veteran team of seasoned pro's with arguably, the greatest goalie in hockey history.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

WRT to the Tyson-Douglas fight, I just finished reading Tyson's amazing autobiography. He obviously talks extensively about that fight in the book. He wrote that he was so into partying and his crazy private life at the time that he had no idea Douglas' mother died shortly before the fight or that Douglas was motivated for the fight.

Tyson's training team told him repeatedly in Japan that they saw Douglas out running in his combat boots and seemingly working like a dog every day to get in shape for the fight. But Tyson was dismissive of the stories because past history had shown that Douglas was a slob who would quit as soon as things got tough in the fight.

Tyson wrote that he was such an "arrogant prick" during his prime that if he had heard the story about Douglas' mom dying, Tyson probably would have said that Douglas was going to join her after the fight. Tyson also wrote that Douglas fought a hell of a fight, but Tyson knew it was a one-time occurence. As soon as Tyson saw how fat Douglas was for his title defense against Evander Holyfield, Tyson knew that Holyfield would knock out Douglas in short order.

Compared to some of the fighters Tyson extensively praises in the book, he doesn't seems have to have much respect for Douglas because Douglas got the one giant payday against Holyfield and couldn't be bothered to get into even semi-decent shape for that fight.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-10-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

Hard to pick upsets for MLB, but the Twins and Braves just playing each other in the 1991 World Series was an amazing 'upset' of sorts.

I will go with the 1980 U.S. Hockey team, and Villanova over Georgetown.

All of the Dallas Cowboys Superbowl losses were hugely upsetting to me.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Corrie Sanders beating w. klitschko for the wbo crown. one of the biggest boxing upsets. See my avatar.
+1. It was like David beating Goliath.

A more obscure one: when the Galaxxy Warrior Nate Campbell beat Juan Diaz, in Mexico, by split decision a few years ago.

Last edited by Ease; 01-11-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Brandon Raber

Speaking for college sports two things come to mind

1.) 2007 Fiesta Bowl (When Boise State pulled out all the stops)

2.) 2011 Indiana Hoosiers over the Number 1 Kentucky Wildcats (Wildcats would go on to only lose one more game and win the national championship with I believe 7 NBA players)
Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Richard Simon

How about NY Jets +19
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Jeff H

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Thanks David, for coming to my rescue on that Dan Gable upset. You were most enlightening, and confirmed it was a much more serious upset than what I remembered. Of course, most of what I remembered was 41 years ago on TV with ABC's great coverage of the Olympics. Dan Gable was profiled, and I recall some of the background of that terrible upset. Seems there was also a close sister that had died tragically that affected him during his wrestling career. Anyway, I will check out the link that you so thoughtfully included.

I don't know why, but I want to remember a dear and great man who was one of America's wrestlers in '72---super heavyweight Chris Taylor. If I miss-spelled his name, forgive me. He was from southern Michigan. A gentle soul, but a determined foe you would not want to face. I believe he took the bronze. I must say this, but for too many stupid, irresponsibly-minded Americans, they think you got to win the gold, or you failed. In any other country, any Olympic medal classifies you as "a master of sports".

Somehow David, I have a feeling you appreciate a jolly good show. Thanks again. Take care. --Brian Powell
Chris Taylor was from Dowagiac, MI. He wrestled at Muskegon Community College before going to Iowa State. He was a big deal around here at MCC. (no pun intended) He left us way too earlyat age 29.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Rulon Gardner

The Russian he beat was undefeated and I believe no one had even scored on him in a greco roman match. Or something close to that.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:13 PM

Thanks for bringing back some information on Chris Taylor, guys. Indeed, indeed, he left us way too soon. Beloved by his wife and family, his fans, and his country. "Whom so proudly we hailed ......." ---Brian
Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Robert Williams

NC State upsetting Houston in the 1983 tournament was pretty huge if you consider all the obstacles they had to overcome on the path to doing that!