NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Default is it just me or have you noticed....

Posted By: pete

that unless you are selling a "high end" graded card or a "rare" card, that no one is bidding on them until the last day?

i like to watch cards (especially the ones i already have) to see what they are going for and until the last day, there are maybe 2 or 3 bids...are people hoping to get super deals by "not" driving the price up or is it that people just are not buying common or lower graded cards right now?

any thoughts?

Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

competition is heavy for those type of cards. No one wants to tip their hand that they are interested in them. Everyone talks about cards getting sniped at all the time, but no one ever seems to snipe the cards I list. The last one I listed was an SGC50 Delong McManus that went for jsut a little over $100. I'm jsut glad it went to fellow board member, but it still kills me since the card should have gone for over $200. For all the great deals I seem to dig up, I don't seem to get good prices for the cards I sell

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

A problem for people who don't bid early is that the seller can raise the minimum bid or pull the auction if there are no bids. If, after 5 days, no one has placed the $5 minimum bid on a $2,000 item, I don't know why the seller wouldn't substantially raise the minmum bid or pull the item. My personal saying as an eBay seller is that I honor all bids, but there have to be bids for me to honor.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I rarely bid early on an auction unless I am not that interested in acquiring it. It is sort of like bidding on a project that you might be pressed for time to complete. You bid low and if you get it, great, it will be worthwhile to do. The auctions that I would really like to get are the ones I try to bid on within the last 30 seconds. I ALWAYS put in the maximum I am willing to pay for it and then still have time to call myself a liar.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

if a bid is place on an item in the last minute of an auction, the auction ending deadline is automatically extended another 5 minutes. If Ebay was smart, they'd offer that feature for another fee.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...there is zero, absolutely none, nada, zilch, benefit to a bidder of placing a bid at anytime before 20 seconds are left in the auction. The only person benefited by early bids is the seller -- indeed, sellers on this post are complaining about only late bids on their auctions. If you bid early, (a) you only drive the price of items up by giving bidders an opportunity to eat away at your high proxy bid, and (b) you allow people to track you bidding history, thus leaving yourself open to snipes.

Bumper sticker: Bidders, let's keep prices down -- save your bids 'til the end.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

i agree that waiting until the last minute or so is great as a buyer...but as a seller it sucks, if i list a $200 card with no reserve and there is ZERO action on it when the last day comes around, guess what...i may pull it depending on the number of "watchers". i havent had to do that yet but id start to get nervous that a $200 card may go for $60-70 (as a seller)... as a buyer i am happier than a pig in s***.

at the same time, i sometimes will put a low bid on a card in hopes that the seller wont pull it...

Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

For some reason, when Im a buyer and I put in a low bid so the card is not pulled, there always seems to be a flury of activity/snipes at the end of the auction.

On the otherhand, as a seller, Ive had a number of nice pre-1930 cards that were bid up early, stalled in the middle, and didnt get a single snipe despite having 10, 20, and sometimes more, watchers.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Josh, what you just described is what happened to my Delong card. It's $100 a few days in, had a bunch of watchers and then never got another bid. Taht seems to be how all my auctions go

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Regardles of a high, or low end item.
Why would any bidder in their right mind want to get into a Bidders MACHO War 7 days before the finals, and compete against themselves?