NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default "Cut Short"

Posted By: Mark

I have spoken at length with Mark Macrae about D/E/T cards that were cut short; which he indicates did happen at the factory. As collector's we agree that some T cards are acceptable as cut short, but what about E's or D's.

Also, Mark indicated that cards cut short - at the factory (time of printing) should have consistent patination throughout; especially on the reverse.

What are your opinions?

I am contemplating two purchases, from reputable dealers - that describe the cards as "cut short", but wonder if they could have been trimmed - even twenty or thirty years ago.

Opinions...please?

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

Old 08-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Default "Cut Short"

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I think that reputable dealers are an underutilized and not fully appreciated asset to the collector. And I believe that if you discuss with them the physical differences between an aftermarket cut and one made in the factory including factors which K. Saucier has pointed out, such as smoothness, color, and evenness, and perhaps other characteristics; they may be willing to take a closer look at the card for you. Particularly if you make the pot a little sweeter for them, afterall, their expertise is of value.

And with regard to what cards collectors accept as cut short, it is my understanding that at this time the only opinions which count in this hobby are those of the grading companies. At a later date things may be different, but I would not bet on Mark being incorrect in his assessment. Afterall, why would tobbacco companies have exclusivity on inaccurate factory cuts?

Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Default "Cut Short"

Thanks for your input Gil.

That I can remember, Lipset indicated size variance on T207's.

T205 vary and so do T206 American Beauty.

Other Opinions?

Mark

Old 08-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default "Cut Short"

Posted By: brian

the m116 sporting life vary greatly in size also. I have a few of them in PSA slabs graded favorably that have very narrow white borders and a couple others with monstrous borders that i sent in that PSA rejected as "oversized will not fit properly within slab rails". I read an article years ago that said they were factory cut at all different sizes.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Default "Cut Short"

Posted By: JimB

It is definately the case that there were size variations in several E sets that I am most familiar with, like E93, that took place at the factory.
JimB

Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Default "Cut Short"

come'on guys...please chime in...

this should concern most, if not, all of us...

Mark

Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Default "Cut Short"

Posted By: Ken McMillan

I have 9 T207 cards and it seems that some are cut short like at a factory. 5 different cards from 5 different sources are the same size and 4 are just slightly (only by fractions) larger. I would think that if this were trimming, the 5 cards would all be different sizes. I have sent them in for grading, so SGC will be the judge. 2 of the cards have been in my posession for 15 years. How often were cards trimmed 15 years ago? Other's thoughts?

Ken

Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Default "Cut Short"

Posted By: Paul S

I concur with JimB about the original factory size variances on the E-s, in this case E90-1. I have the same several dozen beaters, since about 69-70, bought from a "reputable" dealer. I sincerely doubt they were "cut" short, since there is no prettying-up of the card on the shorter ones, they just all look the same, wear wise, regardless of size. In fact, some are long. A "correct" size would be an arbitrary decision, I'd have to take an average. Hope this helps.