NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Default Price guide "what's under that rock"

Posted By: leon

I didn't want to hijack the other Mastro thread so here goes. This is not a knock on VCP or any other guide that quotes direct sales but it has often crossed my mind that, what I think Jeff L was alluding to, might happen frequently. A card is "sold" (well, not really) in one venue and is reported on VCP or another guide....Now we have an established price...well, not really, as the "sale" wasn't a sale to start with. But we can all go look and see the price it realized and be satisfied we aren't paying more than the market value.........and this starts out as "once upon a time"....and might end the same way too. regards

Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I was leafing through some old issues of The Trader Speaks and Lew Lipsett has a column that spans several issues where he talks about instances of this kind of "price manipulation" that went on in the 70s.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

By the way, I'm loving that in the banner advert for the MEARS auction on the top of this page, they have as one of the bullet points "No Shill Bidding!"

Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Even though not every reported sale actually took place, it would be impossible for VCP to try to guess whether or not a reported price is a real one. Their job is to record and report data, not to interpret it.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Auction price manipulation has been around as long as auctions have. As Barry states, not much we can do about it.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

There is no way any guide can "police" the sales. They only report them. My only reason for this thread is to at least make folks aware that just because something is in print doesn't necessarily make it so. I use VCP quite a bit but at the same time don't just look and believe, without giving it a 2nd thought. regards

Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank B

>>A card is "sold" (well, not really) in one venue and is reported on VCP
>>or another guide....Now we have an established price...well, not really,
>>as the "sale" wasn't a sale to start with

A card like the Gretzky Wagner wouldn't benefit from a couple
of private (but publicly announced) sales, would it?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

When something is "sold (well, not really)?"

are you saying that there are a fair number of shadow transactions, where a card is bought by someone friendly with the seller, and the card never actually changes hands?

just for the purposes of establishing a market value in advance of an attempt to create an actual transaction?

This house of cards is quite a racket. Next thing you're going to tell me is that State Governors try to sell Senate seats!

oh,...uh.

oh dear

well at least I can prove that I actually bought several cards at inflated prices last year,...because I have the actual cards in a safe deposit box!

The prices were real sad.gif

But I have the cards! happy.gif

Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

"are you saying that there are a fair number of shadow transactions, where a card is bought by someone friendly with the seller, and the card never actually changes hands?
just for the purposes of establishing a market value in advance of an attempt to create an actual transaction?"

Yes, that is my belief.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Do most "large" private transactions involving vintage cards include some of the tougher material to obtain? I like the idea of tracking auction items because you have a better chance of seeing an actual realized price generated by true demand. Sure, there will be times when you just happen to have a couple of people kicking each other over a card and then the price settles after each of those people gets that card but at least it reflects a "demand" of more than just one collector.

I'd probably record the private sales in a data base but I wouldn't use that particular "sale" in the weighted average of a price index.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I don't see how VCP can use any private sales in their database. For one, "private" suggests the results are not going to be divulged. Second, a private sale often comprises a group of cards at a set price, so how would VCP determine the individual price of each card? Finally, private sales can be very unreliable. I can sell a card for $500 and then report I got $1000.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I think the use of the word "guide" is important as any type of price guide still must be interpreted by the reader or user.